CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Farmington River - Simsbury 01/06 Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Farmington River - Simsbury 01/06 Reply with quote

I arranged to meet TurtleKiss (aka Kira) and jonnyfly00 (aka Jon aka Shelly) at Spring Pond after 9:00 am, and filbert127 (aka Marc), who said that he might be able to show up around noon. I had called the Town of Avon's Recreation and Park Department the day before and the woman who took my call told me that there aren't any restrictions on ice fishing on the pond. However, when I arrived at the pond, I saw this sign posted near the entrance:

After I got over my disappointment, I talked with Kira and Jon, and we decided to check out the dead end branch of the Farmington River that's just north of the entrance to Curtiss Park along Route 315 (aka Tariffville Road) in Simsbury. We arrived shortly before 10:00 am and parked on the grass next to the road. There were a couple of cars already parked there. It was cold, probably in the 20s, but it was mostly sunny and there was very little wind. When we walked onto the ice, we saw two fishermen jigging through newly bored holes. There were many, many frozen over holes in the ice; it's obviously a popular spot. The fishermen told us that they were on a good spot for panfish and that there were chain pickerel further up the river. We continued up the river to the first big laydowns and began boring holes. The ice was consistently seven inches thick, although it talked a lot. Kira got freaked out a couple of times when she heard the ice crack nearby and really freaked out when cracks appeared at the same time. We jigged Hali-type jigs baited with maggots (aka spikes), mealworms and waxworms. Unfortunately, other than a couple of nibbles that Jon got in a couple of holes over eight to 10 feet of water, we got nothing. Jon and I decided to explore toward the intersection of the dead end branch with the main channel of the Farmington, which is open and flowing well. We stopped about 30 feet from the open water when I bored a hole in some white ice that was only four inches thick. It was tough to locate anything other than shallow water (i.e., less than six feet deep) over sand or decaying leaves. We didn't get a single nibble. Meanwhile, Kira had set a tipup with a small Senko and continued jigging near our original spot. When Jon and I returned from our exploratory hike, we learned that she had also gotten nada. By this time, the other two fisherman had left, so Jon and I checked out the ice toward the dead end where we had walked onto the ice. Again, we got nothing. At this point, it was almost 1:00 PM and I began lobbying for a trip to a local bar to get some fried food. But being the ice fishing whore that he is Rolling Eyes , Jon stuck his rod down an old hole left by the other fisherman and soon yelled that he got a nibble, but missed the hookset. Since I couldn't get Jon to leave, I joined him at a nearby hole and, wouldn't you know it, set the hook on and landed a monster largemouth bass:

Okay, so it was a monstrously small largemouth bass. But it was the first action that I got in three hours. After that, Kira joined us and the fish began to come up quickly. But a sorrier, smaller mess of fish I've never seen before. Many of them had black spot disease (http://www.ctfishtalk.com/post38933.html#38933). Here's a photo of Jon with his lunker sunnie:

Here's the biggest of the four largemouth bass that I landed:

A six incher, baby! And here's Kira's first fish of the day:

And, finally, here's Jon pretending to be Harry Potter conjuring up a fish:

Tinius Fishicus! Kira also caught the smallest calico bass that I've ever seen. And I discovered that it's really hard to identify panfish species when they're translucent and only three to four inches long. After forty-five minutes of fast and furious tiny fish jigging, Jon finally agreed to get off the ice and into a bar for some food. As we walked off the ice, we passed a couple of fishermen who had shown up 20 minutes earlier. One of the guys said that it was his first time fishing. Ever! The other guy definitely knew what he was doing. He had a bucket that I'm sure he filled up with yellow perch, because he was pulling them out of the ice at a fast pace, sometimes two at a time! Obviously, Jon, Kira and I were using the wrong jigs all day. I think that the guy was using an unbaited jig. I'm not too familiar with ice fishing jigs, but it looked like a Genz Fat Boy-type of jig. Oh, well! The lesson learned on the day is to try a different kind of jig when you're not getting any action. Of course, it helps if you're not a noob with only one kind of jig on you. I'll be heading to a tackle shop, today. Oh, and I hope to meet you on another trip soon, Marc!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good report. still great to get out on the ice with freinds even if the fishing isnt that hot.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just let the picture do the talking:

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
icemanCT

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should also try Pickerel Cove near the north end of the run way at Simsbury Airport. Used to be good anyway

Doug
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug

Thanks. I've always wondered about Pickerel Cove. During the Summer, it was covered with a uniformly green carpet of floating algae. I threw a line into it and left a trail through the algae. Then I paddled back out of there.

Phil

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More candidates for the personal worst thread. At least you got out there, had some fun and caught something.
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: CRACK! Reply with quote

Hey, Dawg! There's nothing more thrilling than hearing the thunderous crack of ice and seeing huge cracks suddenly appear beneath your feet like lightning. I was standing next to Jon at Nod Brook when that happened and, suddenly, all 6' 7" of him came flying out of his chair like a Polaris missile from underneath the polar icecap. It was hilarious! You gotta come out with us, soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

next time take that senko off the tip and put a shiner on you should have better luck. im telling ya hit the ice at nite to hear the runmblin and crackin of the ice youll get better laughs i was out wed nite and almost dropped to my knees a couple times we were on 4in of ice and it would flex pretty good lol it was cool. only means its making ice always a pleasant sound. keep at it the fish can only get bigger.
johnkaz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sure is a whopper turtle Smile .. those fish look like great pike bait..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to catch and release largemouth bass, but we could definitely have live lined the tiny ones that I caught yesterday.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully I'll be heading out somewhere this weekend. I picked up some stuff today so I'm ready to roll. I didn't get any of my tackle yet so I picked up a couple jigs today just to tide me over. I'm jonesin' big time.
johnkaz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
I prefer to catch and release largemouth bass, but we could definitely have live lined the tiny ones that I caught yesterday.

im the same way with bass. hate seeing any bass die. always said i'd keep one 8lber for the wall, then i caught one and just couldnt keep him. now i carry a tape measure and a camera for next one i get so i could take all the measurments and sh!t load of pics so i could make a replica. ps. this snow sucks a$$!!!!!! Mad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightstalker wrote:
next time take that senko off the tip and put a shiner on you should have better luck. im telling ya hit the ice at nite to hear the runmblin and crackin of the ice youll get better laughs i was out wed nite and almost dropped to my knees a couple times we were on 4in of ice and it would flex pretty good lol it was cool. only means its making ice always a pleasant sound. keep at it the fish can only get bigger.

If I had any shiners I wouldn't have been jigging. Panfish do absolutely nothing for me unless they're exceptionally large. I'm after trophy sized game fish.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kira!

Go get them Woman Exclamation Very Happy Thumbs Up Laughing Laughing

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh Kira!

Is this the right size "Pan Fish" your looking for Question

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: