CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Favorite spot for bass? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skitch92

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Favorite spot for bass? Reply with quote

Hey guys. Posting here since noone ever posts in the "bass fishin" section anymore.

Today was my last day EVER of high school (Notre Dame West Haven).
Me and a couple friends wanna go out there bass fishing at a new spot.

I've been fishing alot at Mt. Sanford pond in Cheshire but ive been getting skunked very day recently so I was wondering about y'alls favorite spots for bass in the New Haven County area.

Thanks, skitch
justjustin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt anyone will post there "spot" I know I protect my spots, I don't need everyone showing up and ruining a good thing
steven1smith

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey skitch92,

I'll have to agree with justjustin on this one, when someone has a favorite spot, it is usually "secret", meaning they dont really want to give it away. Wink

But, check out the lakes and ponds section of the anglers guide. Just about every public "easy to access" lake and pond is listed there, and it is very helpful. You can find the guide on the dep website.

As for choosing a good spot in your area, I cant really help to much since I'm not from the area, but I have heard Lake Saltonstall holds some good fish, and plus you can rent a boat to improve your chances of success.

Hope this helps. Very Happy

And congradulations on completing highschool, I still have two more years. Sad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxCdnQ8WEfQ
Skitch92

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not looking for secret spots, as I would never share that either. Was just looking for some popular, well known spots that have some decent sized bass.
Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batterson in New Britian has huge bass every other cast you hook up with a slob... Also Silver lake in Berlin has some monsters in it, and Black Pond in Meridan. All have good shore access. Very Happy
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluegill Terminator wrote:
Batterson in New Britian has huge bass every other cast you hook up with a slob... Also Silver lake in Berlin has some monsters in it, and Black Pond in Meridan. All have good shore access. Very Happy

Batterson..."every other cast..." Is this a joke? I'm ready to issue a challenge, BT.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever you want I get out of school in 2 weeks. Laughing
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluegill Terminator wrote:
Whenever you want I get out of school in 2 weeks. Laughing

Batterson is only 5 miles away, but I rarely go there because I've caught nothing of significance. With gas costs rising, it would be economical if I could actually catch fish (then release them) without having to drive all over the place.

To the original poster: I don't think you're going to catch many bass in Black Pond without a boat. The side that's open to the public is better for trout, channel cats, and pickerel...most of the pads are located on the private property side.

Check this out: http://ct.gov/Dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2696&q=322676&depNav_GID=1632

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
RyanMalloy

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go on google earth and look around your area. Look for the places that have the least access to the roads or people! If it's deep enough and has weeds/ Lilly pads you are bound to find a biggin
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kira,

Batterson does hold some nice Bass. SkeeterJim caught his PB there (4+smb). We both almost died laughing.

Plus Jim and I have caught some good sized LBM there. Maybe not every other cast but there are some good fish in that pond.

Ron

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkeeterRon wrote:
Kira,

Batterson does hold some nice Bass. SkeeterJim caught his PB there (4+smb). We both almost died laughing.

Plus Jim and I have caught some good sized LBM there. Maybe not every other cast but there are some good fish in that pond.

Ron

The DEP guide doesn't even have smallies listed as a species contained in Batterson.

You, me, Jim & BT...we will all go to Batterson in approximately 2 weeks.

fishinschmoe

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smally? Personal Best? Hawgs?? Batterson?

Ive never done much over 3 pounds in there. Tell ya what tho... some of the biggest carp Ive seen are in there!! My PB carp is 31 pounds... and batterson has em bigger than that....

TK: Mon or Tues aftenoon??
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishinschmoe wrote:
Smally? Personal Best? Hawgs?? Batterson?

Ive never done much over 3 pounds in there. Tell ya what tho... some of the biggest carp Ive seen are in there!! My PB carp is 31 pounds... and batterson has em bigger than that....

TK: Mon or Tues aftenoon??

Batterson has carp?!?!?! Or did you juxtapose your letters twice and catch 31 lbs. of crap? I thought my carping days were over after last year's "incident." Found some huge commons swimming around in a nearby muddy stream/river/brook (I don't know the difference) last year. I offered them corn, worms, dough, Wonder bread, banana-flavored boilies...I chummed with corn for 3 days. They ignored me and everything I sent their way. After catching my third snapping turtle, I gave up. I don't like cutting my line or hurting turtles, even if they are mean and nasty. They do put up a great fight though - probably better than the carp. In related news, 50 lb. Spiderwire passed the "snapping turtle test" with flying colors.

The grass carp at Birge Pond (Bristol) also refuse to acknowledge me & my bait, and scooping them up with a net isn't exactly my idea of "fishing." With all that said, I haven't caught a carp since I was a kid, and I'm now old enough to know that my parents let me fish in a wildlife preserve containing tame, hand-fed carp. I want to catch them again (but now it's because I hate their snooty attitude.) What do the Batterson carp like, cuisine-wise?

Let's see what the weather looks like...either way, Monday and Tuesday afternoon are both fine. You're not scared to fish with me like "the others?" Razz

Just4fun

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's kidding about the every-other-cast thing,..however I agree that there are good fish in Batterson and it's defintely a place worth fishing if you live that close!
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5-6 years ago in one of those Big Bass Tournaments that are open to all who are willing to send their entry fee in and where the winner represents their home state and goes on to the championship somewhere down south as the winner for that particular year if they catch the biggest bass. Believe it or not the biggest bass at one point in time came from Batterson weighing over 9 lbs. Could not believe it but it was there on the web that one year and don't know if "that" bass ended up winning the angler a trip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: