CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Finally, I got a boat! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil!

Whooops!
Confine You and Kira to the great indoors because of lousy WX and you both get dirty minds! LOL Laughing

Again Laughing Laughing

SeaDog1
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Daryl!

9.5 ft. is a YACHT compared to my little 6'8" Dinghbat. I'd suggest sticking to small, landlocked waters while you're breaking in the boat though. And buy yourself a frikkin' anchor! I've gotten shipwrecked in the most unlikely places (1860 reservoir) due to wind gusts & weeds/fishing line clogging my trolling motor prop. Even with weeds out of the equation, a 30lb thrust motor sucks when you're fighting the wind, in a current, or in choppy water. Sometimes during the day, in clear water you may not even be able to see floating debris, rocks and stumps right under the surface *cough* Winchester...better to learn by going someplace that isn't an obstacle course (like Lower Bolton.)

Seadog1 - Yes, the 1-day boating course is a joke...I took my class through "Safe Boating America" at a VFW where I challenged their "no swearing" rule (and won.) It's nice to be able to have a celebratory drink on-site after passing the course. Laughing However, what I've learned (from being on the water) is that common sense and courtesy can't be taught. Therefore, not even the most thorough class will prepare you for the inevitable onslaught of water skiers that will find a way to ruin your time on the water. That's why I usually stick to <8mph places during the day and don't go anywhere huge...it's not like I'd be able to cover much water anyway. Taking the stupid class just so you can use your trolling motor is worth it though, since it's WAY SAFER to have a motor than to rely on oars when a storm shows up out of nowhere.

I'd name her "CHEAP HOOKER."

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkeeterJim wrote:
Congrats on the new boat!! If you plan on doing any night or very early morning fishing be sure to get some nav lights for it.

Jim

25 neon bracelets - 5 bucks at Ocean State Job Lot.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kira!

I'm with you about staying on waters that have low posted speed limits or motor hp limits.

Even though my guide boat is made to take rough water (up 4 ft.) I prefer waters where I don't have to compete with the speed jockeys and the wash and wake they put out.

Oh! and Daryl -> Kira is absolutely correct -> get an anchor! -> never know when the wind and Wx can come up suddenly! (I have 2).
Stow a cheap plastic poncho or umbrela if caught in sudden rain storms and a hand bailer to get rid of the water that may accumulate in the boat.

Also if your going to use an electric motor -> Best to have 2 (covered) deep cycle batteries and get in the habit of putting them on a charger after a day of fishing!

Best regards,
SeaDog1
Daryl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, thanks for all the name suggestions. I finally sold my Kawasaki Ninja, and got enough $$$$ to buy all the other boating equipment I needed. I'm very happy that literally the motorcycle paid for the boat, trailer and equipment almost to the penny. I'm sad to say that this boat cannot be painted! It's made of "high-density poly-ethelene" (HDPE) and paint will never stick to it. I really am stuck on the MOBD logo and bought the necessary lettering to apply it to the back. It's the perfect double meaning! There's the "my other brother Daryl" part or maybe the Moby Dick part which is also a nice play on irony since I could probably put this boat in a swimming pool, lol.

I've got the trailer and boat registration going through today, hopefully. If all goes as planned the trailer will be painted and re-wired tonight and then I'm going to attack the boat.

Equipment for the boat thus far now includes:
- 8 rod holders (2 three rod racks and 2 360 swivel mounts)
- HUMMINBIRD 170 series fish/depth/temperature fishfinder
- 2 swivel/plow type 10lb anchors with 100' rope each
- 3 life jackets, first aid kit, extinguisher and shakeable led flashlights
- Dry storage bin for safety equipment
- New cleats and numbers for the boat
- A cooler and a bait bucket which have been retrofitted with a dual pump aerator that is 12 volt powered
- 2 Marine batterys and a backup regular 12 volt car battery just in case
- FINALLY BOUGHT A BAITCASTER ROD SETUP
- 2 paddles
- A front mount navigating light for small pond night fishing
- A REAL net instead of my trout net
- all new wiring and stuff to replace whats already in the boat
- 2 plastic jugs which I cut down at an angle to use as Hand Bailers
- 1 collapsable, yet awesome umbrella
- 1 12volt "sunshine in a can" million candlepower spotlight

I'm sure there's a few things I forgot to list, but I'm pretty close to having everything I need.

Checked the boating laws in Mass and I do not need a boating license to fish there. So I'm getting a 3 day pass for this weekend, maybe Congamond on Sunday?

- Seadog, I understand about the USCG class, but I'm probably going to pass on it. Spend about 4 years in Navy ROTC and a decent amount of time getting tossed around on Coast Guard 40' cutters in the harbor down in Charleston, SC. I think I might just skip out and do the CT boaters course since my work schedule pretty much kills any other time.

- Kira, I'm very pleased to now be in the exclusive club of people that can fish damn near anything no matter how shallow! I'm excited, nothing gives me a bigger smile when kayaking as I out-navigate someone in there $20,000 boat.

Daryl
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ocean State Job Lot has good prices on tie down straps. $5.99 for two (2) six foot long, one inch wide straps with hooks and a friction clamp buckle. Or $3.00 for a 12 foot long, one inch wide strap with a friction clamp buckle.

Harbor Freight Tools in Berlin also has a lot of great stuff that can be used for boating and trailering. I just picked up a magnetic trailer alignment kit for only $6.39 (on sale for $7.99 and a coupon for 20% off):

http://www.harborfreight.com/magnetic-trailer-alignment-kit-95684.html

Last edited by PECo on Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daryl!

ALL RIGHT Exclamation -> Didn't know you where in Navy ROTC and sailed on the USCG 40's -> YOUR TRAINED RIGHT!!!!

And you've got your boat rigged out properly!

Would sail with you Anytime! - Anywhere!

Might be able to help you with the paint problem -> Will call some collegues to get their input!

Best regards,
SeaDog1

P.S. Don't forget Whistles for the PFD's and Boat Horn (mouth type).
Daryl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SeaDog!

I've gotten some input already about using a plastic primer, like Krylon Fusion and then painting over it. My only concern is if the paint doesn't stick, I've now altered the hull surface with the plastic primer and it could turn into a mess quick trying to keep the boat painted. Let me know what you come up with, Thanks
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen online, if your polyethylene is going to flex, like a boat of course, any paint that you apply to it will crack. And that's even after prepping the surface by physically abrading it or flaming it. Hobie molds its logos into its boat hulls to prevent this from happening to them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daryl, launching at curtiss park should be no problem at all. Let me know how you do if you go.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daryl wrote:
Thanks SeaDog!

I've gotten some input already about using a plastic primer, like Krylon Fusion and then painting over it. My only concern is if the paint doesn't stick, I've now altered the hull surface with the plastic primer and it could turn into a mess quick trying to keep the boat painted. Let me know what you come up with, Thanks

Hi Daryl!

Well I found out there isn't much you can use at all to paint polyethylene with that will adhere.
Even tried auto and aircraft paints with nothing that would hold and flex.

Yes! Fusion is about the only thing available.

Well we tried -> Good luck with the fusion.
Oh! -> Would suggest you just paint the hull and not the interior.

Best regards,
Seadog1
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped by Curtiss park to check out the river and due to all the recent rains the water level is very high and the current is very fast. You may want to test out your boat for the first time in a bit less current. Just my 2 cents.
Daryl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirty Dawg, thanks for the input, I'm taking your advice. Went this morning and got the boat and trailer registered! I can't believe I was out of the DMV in less than 30 minutes! So I'm off to Lake Congamond with my fishing buddy Dan on Sunday. We're not intending to catch much, but are really anxious to use the boat and all the new equipment.

The trailer restoration was completed last night. Dan and I managed to complete it in only 2 three hour sessions. New lights, license plate mount, new paint job of rust proof paint, reconditioned the keel guide boards and wired everything up. It came out quite nicely considering the trailer was an ugly orange-painted mess with broken lights when I got it last weekend. I was lucky enough to discover the tires on the trailer are brand new.

Afterwards, got the boat onto the trailer and practiced a little "Garage Fishing" and struck up some rather handsome poses. I will include the pics below.

Well tonight is the big "setup the boat" night where we do all the wiring of the goodies and lights, fit the 2 trolling motors, and finish all the hundred other little finishing touches. I'm stoked to mount the fish finder and bolt down the seats. I'm also anxious to see how all this gear stows in the boat along with 2 humans in the seats. Well off to work for me!

Ratty Ol' Orange Trailer

Work in Progress

Job Complete, that means it's probably time for Dan to act stupid and celebrate by drinking a beer!

Boat's on the Trailer! Let's Catch Some Garage Bass!

Last edited by Daryl on Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Really nice! Reply with quote

If you'd prefer to stay closer to home, I definitely recommend Nod Brook WMA for your maiden voyage. I pedaled the lower pond for several hours this morning (report to follow) and was the only boat on the water. My fish finder appears to work fine. I still need to practice using it with the manual open for reference, but I was able to set the fish alarm and got a half dozen beeps while I was out there. The lower pond doesn't get much more than eight feet deep, but I'll definitely map out the depths in the upper pond before it ices over. I got off the water around noon, because I still feel like s#*!.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah! Phil, between me and you, were gonna get the sweet ice fishing spots mapped out! Just wanted to let you know that Ice Fishing Tip-Ups with Flags are on sale at Cabela's for $9.99 each and the short jig poles are like $14.99 each I think. I picked some up on my shopping spree the other day. Figured I would let you know so that you can stock up if you need to.

Also, hope you feel better. It's an ass-kicking day for allergies, I feel awful too!

Daryl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: