CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Finally, I got a boat! Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daryl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Finally, I got a boat! Reply with quote

Well after culling over Craigslist postings for the last few weeks, I finally was able to find a decent boat/trailer combo for $500. That was my goal from the start, and even though it was a frustrating search, it paid off.

After a few guys leading me around the state to look at beat up boats, or people just wasting my time blowing off arranged appointments, I finally found a lady in Glastonbury selling a 9.5 foot BassTender with a 4x8 trailer. She was nice enough to through in a 30lbs. Minn Kota (now I have an extra trolling motor), a new set of oars, a battery box and a fishfinder (which is broken, haha.) Talked her down to $500 and even got the previous owners boat and trailer registrations signed off to sell, but still blank for me to fill in my own name! Should be nice and easy to register, I hope. Both the trailer and boat were existing (but expired) CT registered items. Guys any insight on necessary paperwork I need would be helpful.

Boats in great shape, trailer needs new lights, but that's all minor. Also best thing ever, is this boat is so small it fits in the back of a standard pickup. Only 9.5 feet long by 4.5 feet wide. I got plans for this little thing. Probably a nice custom paint job, about 6 rod holders and I'm gonna get an aeration system and modify a cooler for a livewell. I need some name suggestions from some folks on here. I'm thinking of doing like and Olive drab paint color on the hull with real high-detail shark mouths on the front and maybe a pinup girl on each side, along with metal plate line and rivet markings. Sort of a P-51 mustang-ish paint scheme, much like the planes from WWII. Similar to this plane here http://home.comcast.net/~bzee1b/Chino/DSC_6955.jpg I'm putting some big faith in my grandpas steady painting skills and hoping we can get a finished product that is as good as the many models we have built together over the years.

I'm signing up at Tunxis for the boating certificate course too. Can't wait to get this little project finished over the course of the winter. But in the meantime, I'm gonna head to Cabela's and pickup a Hummingbird 170 series FF (any input forum?) and row my A$$ of around some local ponds.

Also to all of you Avon/Sims area yakkers (including myself) I'm thinking of going on my maiden voyage by launching outta Curtis Park in Tarrifville and just slamming on the trolling motor for a few hours, bringing oars for backup (doubt the enforcement is gonna be eyeing me on river, if so good luck catching me.) With the water levels being higher since the rain can anyone forsee me running into depth issues in that part of the river? The hull is only 18" tall and most people say these boats only need like 8-10 inches of water to be very manuverable.

Heres a picture of the boat, I know, it's barely a boat, but I'll be damned if I'm not excited!
gecabert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!! A boat's a boat, if it floats, and you can catch fish, that's all that matters.
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice...congrats on the new boat.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daryl!

Hey! That looks a bit like Kira's "Dingbat".

So! What are you going to name her????
Ooooooh!!! -> I just thought of a good name Exclamation -> Ah!? -> But this is a family channel!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

SeaDog1
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Congratulations! Reply with quote

Curtiss Park sounds like a good plan. Although you might want to get some trolley wheels for your boat if you plan to fish places without a launch ramp.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice boat!

You might want to consider taking the boating course at Cabela's if only because the guy who teaches it is awesome, and makes the one-day course fly by.

Kinda off-topic but with all this talk about the Cadillac of the Skies, I have to ask... Have you ever been to this website?

www.flyaceshigh.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daryl!

OK! All kidding aside -> Since your a fan of the old P-51's I looked up the names the WW II pilots named their planes -> Came across one named "Racine Reaper" -> So my suggestion is to name your boat "BASS REAPER".
Oh! And maybe a Shark's mouth on the bow like the "Flying Tigers" did on their planes.

(Late Note: The URL picture you posted is not a Mustang but a Curtiss P-40 Warhawk that the "Flying Tigers" flew in China)

Also, "DO NOT" take that "WORTHLESS" 1 day boating course from the State, Cabela's, or anywhere else!
Ask yourself these questions -> Can anyone learn in 1 day, Navigation, Rules of the Road, Seamanship Skills, Emergency Procedures, Weather, and First Aid -> The basics of Safe Boating.
The Answer is an emphatic NO Exclamation

All you'll be doing is throwing your good money away to learn "very minimal boating skills".

As a professional mariner, I highly recomend you take the US Coast Guard Auxilliary boating course. Will take you a bit longer, BUT you will learn all, and I do mean ALL that you need to be a competent and well trained and knowlegable boater.
And you'll be proud to display your USCGA Safe Boating Certificate.

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR Exclamation

If you take the USCA course -> I'd be happy to help you for FREE!

Best regards,
SeaDog1 (Captain US Merchant Marine)

Last edited by SeaDog1 on Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:57 am; edited 5 times in total
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, SeaDog1? "Bass Reaper"? That sounds like a kind of hot sauce. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil!

NO! A play on words -> as in "GRIM REAPER" Exclamation Very Happy

SeaDog1
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could call it..."My other brother Daryl"...sorry i had to. Very Happy

How about "Bass Darylict"
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daryl,

Make sure you have a CT-DMV bill of sale before you go to register your boat. They don't take hand written notes and more. You can down load it from their site.

Best of luck..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the new boat!! If you plan on doing any night or very early morning fishing be sure to get some nav lights for it.

Jim
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDawg10 wrote:

LOL!!! That was a good one Derek!!
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkeeterJim wrote:
DirtyDawg10 wrote:

LOL!!! That was a good one Derek!!

Name is too long and won't fit across the transom -> Better to shorten it up to the acronym "MOBD"! Very Happy

SeaDog1
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone would think that the boat is named Moby Dick!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: