CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: first time using braided line Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mase2020

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started with mono as the braided line kept slipping. I use a mono leader as well connected with a double uni knot and haven't had any problems. Make sure you set you drag lower then you would with mono line because depending on the rod it make break before your line.
MANIMAL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah good advice hadnt thought of that

how long is your mono leader?
mikey5string

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeOkay wrote:
I just switched one of my spinning reels to braid yesterday and had some trouble getting it to spool. I hadn't heard of the mono starter idea so i just loosely spun on about 3 revolutions by hand and was fine from there...

You only need the mono/electrical tape backing on some casting reels. You can tie braid directly to the spool on a spinning reel.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikey5string wrote:
You only need the mono/electrical tape backing on some casting reels. You can tie braid directly to the spool on a spinning reel.

Braid will slip around the spool of a spinning reel, too. I'd use a mono or fluoro backer, anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

having massive problems tonight and I need to get it fixed, if i can, before tomorrow's fishing trip

Im using Sufix Performance FUSE braid

10# equal to a 4# diameter it says so I spooled it on my ultralight rig that can take between 2#-6# mono

I dont know what the heck is wrong. I soaked the braid for 2 hours before spooling. I spooled mono on first then braid as so many of you had said. tying to ultralight lures tonight the line seemed stiff as all hell - couldnt cast my lightest lures as the line seems too heavy......but its equal to a 4lb MONO? im confused - it was impossible to toss my rapala F-3 more than 7 ft out. Moving up to the rapala ultralight shad and minnow as well as glass shad got me distance but this line seems too heavy for the lightest of the light lures.

I tossed some of my heavier ultralight lures with ease but upon retrieval, if even a bit of slack happened for a split second, say if i was to reel and rip or twitch....the line coming in would spool off the reel and wind all over the place as well as when I did get a lengthy cast out the braid wasnt straight but all loopy - is braid supposed to be able to do that? maybe its just not packing on as tight as when it was first spooled and I need to step down to a 6# test for the lightest of the light

super frustrating AND i dont have any other line BUT this for tomorrows trip

any help from the braid pros here?
MANIMAL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ended up straying away from Sufix for the evening and spooled up some 6# spiderwire ( 1# diameter ) and was back in the addle again for ultralight line

no idea why sufix rates their 10#fuse at a 4# diameter I couldnt cast any ultralight lures like i could on my 4# mono

I think the fuse is thicker than the regular performance line and will shy away from the fuse for ultralight and keep it on my bigger rigs from here on out
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: