CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: first time using braided line Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MANIMAL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: first time using braided line Reply with quote

about to spool up my spinning reel - do I have all this info correct?

Start with a bit of my mono (12lbtest) and cover the reel initially - then a dbl uni knot to connect the mono to the braided, spool about 100yds on

Then I understand I should then tie on a leader to the end of the braid? I have no fluoro just mono ( that I initially spooled on first )

should I then spool on a length of that?
what knot to use to connect mono to braid to mono? dbl uni knots all the way?

Im also understanding that I should be using a palomar knot ( not a clinch knot ) when tying to lures? does that matter if I have a mono leader? just when tying braid direct to lures do i use palomar?

sorry for all the questions I just wanna get this set up correctly
SAP284

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is several different ways to do it. Depending on the reel, I'll spool either 1/2 or 3/4 of the spool with mono, then uni knot it to braid. If you want to use mono as your leader then you can either tie an albro knot or uni knot for them together at the tail end.

As for lures, I usually use a double polamer for a knot. If its a thick leader, then I use a Trilene knot. Check out the link below for all types of knots.

http://videofishingknots.com/line-to-tackle.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a ton - didnt wanna overthink it but also didnt wanna rig it improperly and with knots that'd cut the line when they get tightened
mikey5string

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good advice on knots from SAP, nothing worse than loosing a fish because of a bad knot....

Also, I would only use a flouro leader if youre not getting bit without one. For things like topwater I wouldnt use one. Any reaction bait doesnt need one. IMO its just another potential weak link in the chain.

If you are finesse fishing a flouro leader helps with a more natural presentation and if you plan on drop shotting youll need one.
MANIMAL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok - lemme process this

ive got the knots down

mono backing on 1/4 of the spool and braided about half the spool with the braid

I like to fish a lot of Rapala Clackin as wel las Rapala xrap pop topwater on this particular rig

no need for any leader?

just use a fluoro leader when fishing soft creature baits ( i just started to get into that )

i just see it as a weak link in the chain as stated above and my want to switch to braid is for the non stretch strength

i understand it floats and fish will see it so ive got that to contend with but I figure Ill skip the elader on lures and use a fluoro leader on soft bottom baits?

am i understanding all this correctly? fishing the new setup on the 4th of july so I wanna get set straight - thanks for all the help thus far
SAP284

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use fluro leader for everything lol. You can use mono if you want, the purpose is for less visibility. That clackin crank is pretty sweet, I've used it the past two weeks. I fish crankbaits more than anything and have about 3 feet of fluro on the end.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does fluoro stretch? i kinda wanted to get away from the stretch hence the braid

rapala clackin raps and minnows are so good man, so good
SAP284

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does, yes. It's a sacrifice I've made though. Everyone has different opinions but I catch way more fish with leader. Some fish are easily spooked, more of the bigger ones. When I first switched to braid I noticed it last year. Try it out without fluro and see how it works for you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive decided to run Sufix Braid - any suggestion on leader?

its a 40# braid , equal to a 10# diameter
SAP284

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use suffix 832 as well for braid. Try some Yo-Zuri dissapearing pink fluro leader. 20 to 30lb is good if you have 40lb test on. I use 50lb with 40lb fluro on my heavy setup. 30lb braid and 20lb fluro on my medium setup.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your reel is designed for braid then you dont need to use mono to start or you can even line your reel with electtical tape to get the braid to bite, thats what I do and I learned that from a fishing dhow. Absolutely no spin at all on my reel under any conditions. I try and use all braid so I can really load up and not have to worry about ever getting spooled but Im talking salt water.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
fishfinder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your reel is designed for braid then you dont need to use mono to start or you can even line your reel with electtical tape to get the braid to bite, thats what I do and I learned that from a fishing dhow. Absolutely no spin at all on my reel under any conditions. I try and use all braid so I can really load up and not have to worry about ever getting spooled but Im talking salt water.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
MANIMAL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my reel isnt designed for braid
im not fishing saltwater

im gonna give it a go and tie braid direct to my lures
also gonna look into that yo-zuri leader for tossing plastic baits

thanks for the info on this, im excited to try a new setup and ee what works and what doesnt
MikeOkay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just switched one of my spinning reels to braid yesterday and had some trouble getting it to spool. I hadn't heard of the mono starter idea so i just loosely spun on about 3 revolutions by hand and was fine from there. Also, I got the alternating green/black high/low visibility and have been trying to tie only onto the black part (no fluoro leader yet). Do you think this helps with the visibility problem at all? Went out on candlewood last night but the bite was tough all around. Didn't get anything on that set up throwing a popper, jitterbug, and xrap all after dusk. Maybe a flouro leader will help.
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like using a fluoro or mono backer for braid because it keeps the line from slipping around the spool on and indicates when you're reaching the end of your line. Although I don't use a leader on braid because I think it's just another potential point of failure on the line, a fluoro leader is really helpful when throwing crankbaits or other lures with exposed treble hooks because braid has more of a tendency to wrap around the hooks of a lure, especially on a windy day. That said, I usually keep one of my setups spooled with 12 or 15 pound fluoro, so I typically don't throw crankbaits on braid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: