CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Fishing Line Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sbehuniak09

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:

I read a study where they strung equivalent thicknesses of different types of fishing line vertically in a huge tank that was full of largemouth bass and counted the number of times the fish would brush up against the lines. Fluorocarbon fishing line was touched the most, so the study concluded that it was the least visible to largemouth bass. The study expressly stated that no conclusions were made regarding line shyness, just visibility. However, since fishing line is visible to fish and fish can learn (I saw it on Mythbusters! Laughing ), I think that line shyness is likely for heavily pressured fish.

Very interesting. I believe that maybe in some cases the line could come into play, (mostly for highly pressured fish as PECo suggests) but I have a hunch that a lot of the time it is a way for fishermen to deflect the blame for a poor day of fishing! Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbehuniak09 wrote:
I believe that maybe in some cases the line could come into play, (mostly for highly pressured fish as PECo suggests) but I have a hunch that a lot of the time it is a way for fishermen to deflect the blame for a poor day of fishing! Laughing

That's a corollary to the theorem that fishing lures are designed to catch fishermen, Stephan. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'v been using Cajun Red Cast mono line 10# test on my main setup after doing a little research on different lines/visibility in water. Apparently water filters out certain colors more quickly than others. The color RED is the first color to be completely filtered. So according to this, the line quickly becomes invisible under water.

Here's a good example i found: White sunlight contains all colors.. Water absorbs some of these colors more than others. But you need a lot of water to notice this effect - which is why water cupped in your hand has no color at all. In a large body of water though, the water molecules quickly absorb red light, but they don't absorb blue light nearly
as well. So in this case, more blue light is transmitted through the water. It's actually the same principle behind why the sky is blue.

i also just prefer mono over braid for ease of use/(hate trying to tie knots with braid) Mad and after experimenting with a bunch of different brands and diameters/# test, i'd have to say that the 10# test suits my 7' spinning rod best as far a how smooth the cast is, distance, strength, feel, etc. for all around fishing live bait and casting any lures up to an ounce. i use it in 4# test on my ultralight setup as well. plus the blood red color of the line just looks oh so badass spooled up on my reel Very Happy

as far as other brands, i like the sufix siege mono, really smooth
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbehuniak09 wrote:
I don't necessarily disbelieve it. And I don't doubt the people that believe it, but I just want to try to find some real proof of it. Also, if it was true, how do fly fishermen catch anything?

I can tell you from experience that fish become line shy in heavily pressured areas like the Salmon River NY. You can watch fish move as the line passes by, and the presentation just doesn't look natural. This is why you still have to fish double digit steelies with light line or tippit. I typically use 4lb. Your main fly line is 8-10 feet away from the fish.

On the salt side, albies seem particularly line sensitive. No scientific testing, but I can fish an unweighted Zoom fluke on a flouro leader next to another angler with a steel or heavy leader and the same bait, and I promise I will catch far more fish. I always fish them and stripers with either a leader on my braid or mono/flouro. Stripers will hit heavy leaders up to 80-100lb., and I've used smoke, pink, blue etc. when drifting three way rigs in the Race.

I just don't think metal leaders make the presentation look natural, especially with smaller lures, soft plastics and so on. Blues will hit on a beer can (I've got plenty of video/photo evidence), so when they are in thick, it's time to break out the wire.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Mase2020

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great and what I was looking for some good info to spark this board and the preseason. I use a variety of the three, I like braid and always use a leader and was debating on going braid on some of my other set up. I will keep mono on one for top water as it floats.

Has anyone had a problem with crank baits and braid with ripping the crank out of the fishes mouth since there is little stretch. I have read about that, but haven't had the problem myself maybe due to the fact that I use a leader. Also someone wrote they use braid for dropshot set up. I have read that it is recommended to use light fluorocarbon line or light braid with a longer leader. Would like to hear what people use and how they fair.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I always use a leader except when trout fishing as Im using light Flour anyway there.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbehuniak09 wrote:
Michael wrote:

While surf fishing stripers are bound to not hit a lure while using wire leaders. I've even had times when others are hitting taylor blues with heavy duty mono leader and I'm getting nothing on the same lure while using wire leader.

I don't know anything about wire leaders, so this may be way off, but could it be possible that with a wire leader the lure behaves differently?

It's the black color of the wire leader that does it. Lures don't swim too differently when using wire vs heavy duty mono leader.

Stripers are smarter fish than bluefish, like the way trout and walleye are vs pike and bass. So stripers can tell the difference between black wire leader and clear heavy duty mono.

I've heard people say that smaller taylors can occasionally be smart even if they're thick and feeding. One time while I was at Seaside Park I saw blues breaking on the surface. I saw other people casting tins out there with heavy duty clear mono leader. I threw a Kastmaster out there with wire leader but wasn't hitting them. I took the wire leader off and attached a snap swivel with no leader. That made a big difference!
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's the black color of the wire leader that does it. Lures don't swim too differently when using wire vs heavy duty mono leader.

Wire and heavy mono screws up the swimming action and sink on lighter soft plastics. It's just not flexible enough and usually has a faster sink rate than the lure you are trying to fish. It's really easy to see the difference when working in clear water or a demo pool. I always carry wire leaders, but almost never use them. Well, maybe for sharks!
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redneckangler wrote:
Quote:

Wire and heavy mono screws up the swimming action and sink on lighter soft plastics. It's just not flexible enough and usually has a faster sink rate than the lure you are trying to fish. It's really easy to see the difference when working in clear water or a demo pool. I always carry wire leaders, but almost never use them. Well, maybe for sharks!

The leader makes certain hard bodied lures sink now that you mention it.
JesseC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought a package of 20# test 6" steel wire leaders recently so i would be prepared for pike/blues this year, but all this talk about fish being line shy has got me thinking... maybe i should get some heavy mono as backup leader just in case? Confused what # test mono would you guys recommend for pike or bluefish that wouldnt snap or fray easily from their teeth and still be light enough to be almost invisible to the fish? or would flouro be a better leader material?
angry john

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When looking for a leader for toothy fish, you want hard material. Flouro is normaly a lot harder than most nylon lines. Berkely big game is tough, but handles like crap imo. There is always a risk fishing for fish with teeth, and loosing your lure. 50 lb flouro seems to be ok, and heavy pike and musky may require 80 or 100. It may mean the diffrence between a bite and none though. I have yet to ever catch a fish on a wire leader, but use it as a last resort.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I catch a lot of bluefish on steel leader but thats when Im just relaxing throwing chunks. Other than that if plugging Ill use Ande Flour 40 or 50 lb leader and buy it online in 50 yard spools.

fishfinder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I catch a lot of bluefish on steel leader but thats when Im just relaxing throwing chunks. Other than that if plugging Ill use Ande Flour 40 or 50 lb leader and buy it online in 50 yard spools.

Redneckangler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JesseC wrote:
i bought a package of 20# test 6" steel wire leaders recently so i would be prepared for pike/blues this year, but all this talk about fish being line shy has got me thinking... maybe i should get some heavy mono as backup leader just in case? Confused what # test mono would you guys recommend for pike or bluefish that wouldnt snap or fray easily from their teeth and still be light enough to be almost invisible to the fish? or would flouro be a better leader material?

Don't worry about having that wire. While I don't use it all the time, when those big chopper blues are in a frenzy, it will save you a lot of lost gear. I typically use 40-50lb. flouro or mono leaders for the pike. You just have to check and retie if you get fray.
JesseC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info guys! i think i'm going to pick up a spool of 40 # flouro
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: