CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Fishing Line Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mase2020

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Fishing Line Reply with quote

So I wanted to see what people are using for fishing line for specific set ups. I'm going to be re-spooling prior to the season and have been having different debates in my head.

I know mono is recommended for top water because it floats. Some people say fluorocarbon for cranks, but have been using braid. Drops shop was wondering if I should go with light fluorocarbon or braid with a long fluorocarbon leader. Just wanted to see what others are using and for what. Thought now would be a good time to start some preseason gear discussions.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trout - Flouro
Saltwater - Braid
Bass - Dont do much but have set up with both Mono and braid depending on if its weedy or not.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Sufix mono person all the way
SaltyVeins

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use braid (10lb and up) with a fluoro leader for pretty much everything. Gotten used to the sensitivity and strength to diameter ratio so I haven't looked back.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate monofilament line. The stretchiest line I'll use is fluorocarbon. I like P-Line Fluoroclear a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use multicolored flouro on my baitcasters it makes tangles and knots a breeze. i use fireline on my spinning rod, and Berkley XL smooth casting on my ultralights.
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flouro for trout fishing and mono for everything else (mostly dropshotting). I dont see the need for others like braid and such, its more of a preference and target species. Fish that dont get spooked easily (pike/bass) id do a heavy braid and or mono, fish that are more finicky (trout/walleye) id do flouro or light mono.
SAP284

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time I use braid (Suffix 832) with 3 feet of fluro tied on. I like braid because I can cast a mile. However, when I get a rats nest in my baitcaster I want to toss the thing lol.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthEastFisherman wrote:
Fish that dont get spooked easily (pike/bass) id do a heavy braid and or mono, fish that are more finicky (trout/walleye) id do flouro or light mono.

Is it really true that fish get spooked by line? I hear some people say this, but I can't really find any evidence of this being true. Every time I see this claim somewhere it feels like hearsay to me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it. Try trout fishing with 12 lb mono and see how you do and set another ploe up with like 4 lb Flouro. Im willing to bet you will probably get skunked on the mono and catch a few on the flouro.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
sbehuniak09

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't necessarily disbelieve it. And I don't doubt the people that believe it, but I just want to try to find some real proof of it. Also, if it was true, how do fly fishermen catch anything?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbehuniak09 wrote:
I don't necessarily disbelieve it. And I don't doubt the people that believe it, but I just want to try to find some real proof of it. Also, if it was true, how do fly fishermen catch anything?

I don't fly fish but I think that they have a leader of some sort that is clear. I personally have had a bad experience with fishing braid only. I went on a terrible spree of skunk, and soon as I switched to a Fluro leader on the braid I started having better luck. Some species definately care in my opinion and some may not. Also depending on the clarity of the water. If you are in super clear water, I'm willing to bet fish are a lot smarter than we think. Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbehuniak09 wrote:

While surf fishing stripers are bound to not hit a lure while using wire leaders. I've even had times when others are hitting taylor blues with heavy duty mono leader and I'm getting nothing on the same lure while using wire leader.
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbehuniak09 wrote:
NorthEastFisherman wrote:
Fish that dont get spooked easily (pike/bass) id do a heavy braid and or mono, fish that are more finicky (trout/walleye) id do flouro or light mono.

Is it really true that fish get spooked by line? I hear some people say this, but I can't really find any evidence of this being true. Every time I see this claim somewhere it feels like hearsay to me.

I read a study where they strung equivalent thicknesses of different types of fishing line vertically in a huge tank that was full of largemouth bass and counted the number of times the fish would brush up against the lines. Fluorocarbon fishing line was touched the most, so the study concluded that it was the least visible to largemouth bass. The study expressly stated that no conclusions were made regarding line shyness, just visibility. However, since fishing line is visible to fish and fish can learn (I saw it on Mythbusters! Laughing ), I think that line shyness is likely for heavily pressured fish.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:

While surf fishing stripers are bound to not hit a lure while using wire leaders. I've even had times when others are hitting taylor blues with heavy duty mono leader and I'm getting nothing on the same lure while using wire leader.

I don't know anything about wire leaders, so this may be way off, but could it be possible that with a wire leader the lure behaves differently?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: