CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: FRESH LINE YEARLY? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMAO~!!! that avatar!!!

Just one more cast...
Just4fun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sevnseat wrote:
Do you guys buy a new spool every time you reload or do you buy a big spool and store it? I keep a few spools around and was wondering if it was better to buy smaller spools more often. I keep them in the closet, so no light or anything. (mono btw)

Fluke, that has got to be THE funniest avatar I've ever seen. Not sure it fits with the PG-13 rule, but I got such a laugh out of it I really don't give a damn. Laughing

There used to be a guy that worked for stren on one of the other foums and that subject came up one time,...
He said that all the lines do degrade with time,..although sun and heat would really make it happen faster. In the dark & at a reasonable temp,..mono should be good for a minimum 3 to 5 years. Fluoro is more like 10-15 years and braid is even longer!

I usually change the line on my reels once a season with fluoro (unless I just use it up and it gets too short..) and with braid probably every 2-3 years! I usually don't fish with mono much,..but I would change it at least twice a season even if I'm not using that rod very often. I just never want to lose a lunker because my line breaks! Wink

Whether a bulk spool of line makes sense for you is going to depend on how fast you use it versus the cost savings.
Justin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fish just about every weekend and change my line quite often...especially come tournament time regardless of whether it's braid, mono or floro...so that would mean at least once a month, if not more, I am changing line.

Buying the bigger spools will save you some money, but only if you use it quickly enough...otherwise, you wasted the remainder of a bulk spool. The nice thing about braid is that you don't necessarily have to change it, you can un-spool it to a blank filler spool (backwards) and then put it back on the reel...this gives you two spools for the price of one.

For those that are not out there that much, I would agree with the masses that at least once a year, fresh line should be put on. Usually at the end of the season, I strip all the line off my reels, but that's because I go through and clean all of my gear and get it ready for the next season. Also gives me something to do during those bad cabin fever days.
SenkoBandit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I change my mono at least 3 times a season,Floro maybe once during the season depending if a lose any. Once I lose 20-30 ft i will change. Big difference in casting.
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use mostly braided line. I backfill my reels with mono and then spool about 50 yards of braided. I tend to respool about 4 times a year. Once the 50 yards depletes to about 25, I take off the remaining 25 and respool a new 50 yards. It saves money and keeps that reel full so it cast better.

I have never tried florocarbon. What brands would you guys recommend?

Justin
Justin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P-Line floroclear is really good...it's not 100% fluoro, but the cost is a lot less, and it's great in clear water. Gamma is good too, but any 100% fluoro that is good line will cost you a lot, especially when you re-spool often.
flippy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: fishing line Reply with quote

2 you guys changing your fishing line 1 a year, you are crazy, thats how your going to lose a big fish or a tourny, hey thats up to you, depending on how much you fish, jUSTIN Ihear you on changing frequently Its very important but for u guys fishing 1 a year thats fine I guess
thelurewasher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i usually get a couple of years on my 65lb braid. I dont get to fish as much as i used to so it doesnt need to be changed as often. What I do is Ill flip the spool pack on my conventional reels. I have a big empty spool that I use to pull the line onto then that goes onto another spool and then back on the reel. I fish mostly in saltwater so every trip everything gets rinsed.
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On average, I'd say I would change my line 2 - 3 times a year.

I keep a close eye on it. GOD knows I don't need to snap the line with SkeeterJim on my boat. I'll never hear the end of it. Laughing

Mark (Just4fun) has pointed me to the Seagar brand. I like it a lot.

PS. I use backing so not to waste my line.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, what a difference 3 years makes. I don't use braid unless I am punching or pitching really heavy cover or saltwater fishing. I use trilene sensation and love it. It is a multi-polymere that works great for all applications. to each his own though and every application differs.

I back every reel with cheap mono and respool with about 50 yards of new line when in need. Helps save money. When I can only cast about 30-40' I usually re spool, ripping off the trilene sensation until I get to the cheap mono and put another 50 yards of trilene sensation.

Justin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: