CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: FRESH LINE YEARLY? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmorjoe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: FRESH LINE YEARLY? Reply with quote

Does everyone change their line yearly even if not used much? I've seen some of the large spools the sport shops use when you bring in your reel and they don"t look all that fresh. I wonder if you just take off a couple of yards its just as good. (GOD I GUESS I AM REALLY CHEAP) cmorjoe
ploplopfizzfizz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do u use mono or a nylon base line?

Mono if i used it i would chnage it every year.Rumor has it if u keep money in a warm/bright area it will also break down quicker.

I use power pro and have not changed my line since i spooled it a couple years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, mono should be changed yearly. Some guys do it couple of times a season. All depends on how hard and how often you use your equipment. Another good thing about using braids since it doesn't have to be changed as often. Very Happy
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do once a year... but if the line seems to be getting brittle, i will change it out earlier..

Just one more cast...
Just4fun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's mono,..change it at least yearly,..and more often depending on how much you fish! The more it's used and stretched and the more it's exposed to sun,..the weaker it becomes.
Note: It will also become weak and brittle if it just sits around for years!

Fluoro seems to last longer, both in use as well as in storage,...and braid really doesn't degrade much in strength much at all except from abrasion!
Old Mud

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkeeterJim wrote:
Yes, mono should be changed yearly. Some guys do it couple of times a season. All depends on how hard and how often you use your equipment. Another good thing about using braids since it doesn't have to be changed as often. Very Happy

YES I change mine every 2 or 3 fish! (mono top shot 100 yds.) 200# or 300#. also 2 fathom floro. a lot when the dogfish or bluedogs are around. Sad

All that truly matters in the end is that you LOVED !!!!
cmorjoe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: DID YOU SAY EVERY TWO OR THREE FISH? Reply with quote

At that rate I wouldn't have to change my line but once every other year! cmorjoe
Old Mud

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. Come on Joe we know your better than that!! Very Happy Shocked

All that truly matters in the end is that you LOVED !!!!
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually have to change mine 2 or 3 times a year per rod depending on the application. I wouldn't try to set an actual time frame on changing your line just check it before each trip. Also remember you get longer cast if the spool is full.
bigoutdoors

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow,i must have been parinoid,when i used mono i changed it every 2 weeks,now with braid i am getting 2 or more years out of it
Just4fun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigoutdoors wrote:
wow,i must have been parinoid,when i used mono i changed it every 2 weeks,now with braid i am getting 2 or more years out of it

Naw,..you're just being careful,..The pros change line every trip out!! Wink
Johnny Skeeter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically i change line before every big tournament,dont want a broken off fish to cost me $$$$. Otherwise once a month.
Nickp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as my spools looks like its down a few feet (20?) I change it out, makes a big difference having that extra 20 feet of line- ecspecially when your talking 65 pound braid.
stumpy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all depends on the rod and it's application. my dropshot rod i change quite a bit maybe every 2 months depending on how much i fish and if im getting alot of line twist. braid evey 2 years, my all around soft plastics baitcaster 7'mh w/12# copolymer every couple of months also. i think it also depends on what brand of line you use, some hold more memory while sitting on a spool than others.
flukeprodigy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I change the line on all my rigs after every season. I use mostly braid, so sometimes i'll just transfer the line from one of my good reels over to a lesser quality one, then respool the good reels w/ new line. I have so many backup reels that it's too expensive and pointless to change the line constantly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: