CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fishing Tournaments
Viewing Topic: GARDNER LAKE *** THE PAIRINGS ARE UP *** (((UPDATED))) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justin Tralli

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! I cant believe I forgot that! John, thanks so much for letting us borrow your scale! That was great!

Gary, the pasta salad was from Ryan! It was awesome!

CT RIVER
Every Tuesday Night @ 5 p.m.
EAST HARTFORD LAUNCH
$10 Per Person
Winner Take All!
Pointingdog

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great meeting almost all of the field, since I knew few...

Great fishing with StinkySmellyCrappiePikiesmally...whatever...

One comment about next venue... Prefer that it be centraly located, but not on the river.... I have seen many a boater not show, due to excessive current, tides, winds, on the river, and their boat just can't handle it... from what I observed at Gardner, some had smaller boats, that would not be able to make the runs to the 'good' spots, and that is a great disadvantage....

Just my 2 cents...

Sorry for spelling....I am in Germany, and they have different keyboards than the dtates... Frigin keys are in differnt places, and it messes with the mind...ecspecially after a few frothy ones...!!
slimecoat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to many centrally located places come to mind that offer ample parking and good fishing for all sizes of vessels. Lower Bolton would work, 15-20 minutes from Hartford, I know I can catch more than 3 fish there no matter what the conditions are, but most will not be over 2 lbs., but stiil have room for picnic afterwards.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the random draw as well. I think it is a great opportunity to meet people and learn different techniques. I think 8 hours would have been a little better. We should try and get another one in September. I would definetly be in for Lower Bolton if the date was right.
Ryan G.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishing was tough. The cookout was def the best part of the day with lots of good fishing stories. Thanks Justin for putting it on. As for the pasta salad it is a top secret recipe thats been in the family for years, but here it is anyway.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51A73XE15YL._SL500_.jpg
slimecoat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan,

That's great! LMFAO Shocked Shocked Shocked Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

It did taste good!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys-Sorry i had to bolt,i wanted to stay but had a "situation" with an employee that i had to clear up.I liked the draw as well and would be up for bolton if it works out shcedule wise. Congrats to the winners on a tough day! Well done indeed! Thanks Justin for holding the event.
Johnny
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the next one be at a lake with decent sized fish? Very Happy I mean if I am going to lose I would like see a 15lb bag weighed in not 6-8lb crap..... Razz Very Happy
Johnny Skeeter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That place has some big fish,they just were not co-operating that day.
djmon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys, thanks for saturday- sorry i couldn't stay for the bbq- it sounds like it was a great time and i wish i could have made it work.

anyways for those of you i never spoke to or knew on the site nice meeting you and hope to see you all soon at another tourney or just on the water. later
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny Skeeter wrote:
That place has some big fish,they just were not co-operating that day.

the only bag I have heard of over 10lbs this year was at night. I have seen the weights of 8 different club tourneys and all winning weights were between 6-8lbs.

12lbs won the CT Outdoors for 8 fish! Shocked
slimecoat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck,

I agree the weights have been down for a few years. The fishing has gone downhill since they sprayed the weeds 4 or 5 years ago. It's just not like it used to be. I have been fishing tournaments there for 15 years, and the winning weights used to be 12 to 16 lbs. on average. Then the DEP had a wonderfull idea to stock the lake with walleye, right in the shitter it went. I know Dusty gave everbody the info about too many forage fishes, tournament mortality, and other reasons for the decline, but it's too much of a coincidence for me to swallow. The weed killing just sealed the cap on the portolet. I still like the lake and it has some good fish in it, but they are harder to find and less of them. Thanks again DEP for stressing another lake by adding another predator fish to the mix.

The state has dumped all kinds of money for decades into trout hatcheries, trout stocking and other programs, stocking bullheads, walleye, northern pike, etc. I know there are ongoing bass management programs in place, but it seems that with the increased # of Bass fisherman in this state and the increasing # of tournaments being held, that they would spend a little more time improving the fisheries bass poulations, and stop creating so called other fishing opportunities for the small # of pike or walleye fisherman that actually target those species. Maybe I have my #'s wrong, but I think they are the minority of fisherman in this state, and the bass and trout fisherman split the majority.

Dusty,

Do you know if the DEP would consider pulling out a percentage of the small bass in certain lakes, during their electrofishing survey's for a couple of years, to help these fisheries along, since we anglers don't do enough of it?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will go out on a limb as to say that if we were to fish there again in the fall, it would be a different story.

Personally, I dont think any of us fished deep enough saturday. I dont think many people around here fish that lake or some of the others deep enough. Let's put it this way. The only big fish I had on saturday came out of 27 feet of water. I started in 10 feet, moved to 15, then to 20. All I was catching was smaller fish. I decided that I could do one of two things. Move super shallow, which I didnt believe was holding fish, or move even deeper! I decided to move deeper. I think most of the fish this time of year, especially the bigger ones are out deeper than many of us think. The fish on Candlewood right now, especailly the really big ones are out in the 30 - 45 foot range. Believe it or not, they're actually somewhat easy to catch because they dont get alot of pressure. You just have to find them......

Put it this way. If I had to fish staurday all over again, I wouldn't fish shallower than 20 feet........ I stayed shallow (10 - 15 feet) way too long...........

That lake is full of fish...... they're just out alittle further than most people are comfortable fishing.....

CT RIVER
Every Tuesday Night @ 5 p.m.
EAST HARTFORD LAUNCH
$10 Per Person
Winner Take All!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Fishing Tournaments All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: