CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Gonna go saltwater fishing this year - first time Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MANIMAL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Gonna go saltwater fishing this year - first time Reply with quote

I am going to add on a saltwater license to my freshwater this year. Im gonna try to hit the CT shore throughout but my main motivation is a vacation to Cape Cod this year where I can use my CT license for the week im up there and try surfcasting for 2 or 3 nights

What all do I need to know? I think the plan will be to rent a rod and reel/gear when I get up there

I dont think my freshwater stuff would hold up Smile
fishfinder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When will you be going mainly as that will be a big difference in what you'll want tobe throwing. Mid summer is not the time to be throwing rubber as the blues will destroy it! If targeting bluefish you'll want steel leaders. For stripers it also depends on what time of year mostly, in the heat of the summer for the most part you'll need to go at night when its cooler. Will you be throwing bait or plugs or what.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
MANIMAL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill be there mid JUNE - no idea what ill be throwing - was hoping to be told! Ill be fishing at sunset into darkness
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mid-June is prime time for stripers! If you're going to be fishing the CT River or shore more for stripers, you may want to consider a surf rod and a reel that can handle the salt/heavier freshwater. A lot of the smaller surf reels now come with a ton of drag and braid capacity, and can cross over to the CT River for pike. You can get into a decent setup that can throw chunks or plugs without breaking the bank. You can do pretty well with a few versatile lures and bottom rigs. I and a lot of other guys will be fishing stripers in April and May. See if you can make plans to meet up one evening and see some of the options first hand. Do your research ahead of time depending on where you will be fishing. Google Earth is an awesome tool. Good articles in OTW.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OTW is On the Water mag. in case you dont know. Heck, I have never stopped fishing for stripers. I was out wading all Friday night and all Sunday afternoon. Its very hard to get 1 this time of year without a boat but it can happen. A 9' or bigger surf rod is what youll want. If your going to be throwing big plugs youl want like a 2-6 once weighted pole which is also good for throwing chunks, if throwing smaller a 1-3 ounce rod will be good. A Penn Battle or better or equivalent is what youll want and if you plan on live lining some bait for Pike or stripers you may want to think about a Bait Runner reel Like Shimano or Okuma. If interested Ill sell you a Okuma Coronado reel with 9' Ugly stick 2-6ounce for like $75. Its used but works fine and is a Bait runner size CD 65 or CD80.

chud059

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haven't seen you in a long time....how you been?
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest buying a rod and reel since you may go again.

Depending on where you go (other then the cape) you could use a 7ft heavy action rod and freshwater reel. I am not suggesting it though

I have caught stripper and blue fish on one of my fresh water rod / reel combos with some success.

Specifics are key.

If you are throwing bait a "baitrunner" would be a plus to have though not very useful if you are throwing hard plastic.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perfect hook set wrote:
I suggest buying a rod and reel since you may go again.

Depending on where you go (other then the cape) you could use a 7ft heavy action rod and freshwater reel. I am not suggesting it though

I have caught stripper and blue fish on one of my fresh water rod / reel combos with some success.

Specifics are key.

If you are throwing bait a "baitrunner" would be a plus to have though not very useful if you are throwing hard plastic.

SPELL CHECK!!!!!!!
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I throw plugs no heavier than 2 ounces and use 10 pound, 14 pound, and 17 pound mono lines even though braid is better than mono.

Size of fish and bait is another thing.

Spring is more of a schoolie season while fall is when the cows arrive. Late May into the dead of summer is when smaller bluefish up to 6 pounds are around.

2 different setups for throwing plugs are a Schoolie Setup and basic surf setup.

Schoolie Setup is when it's just the smaller fish are around and nothing bigger than 6 pounds is feeding even though you might get something big. That's when a 7 to 8 foot rod comes into play and can throw plugs ranging from 3/8 ounce to 1 ounce and mono line ranging from 8 to 17 pound test. 10 pound mono I use on a Penn Sargus 4000 and older Penn Spinfisher 4400SS.

Basic surf setup is when the bigger fish are around and you're throwing heavier plugs. Basic surf setup rod would be a medium heavy rod ranging from 8 to 9 feet that can handle plugs ranging from 1/2 ounce to 4 ounces depending on the model. Mono line I use is mostly 17 pound test on a heavier Penn Sargus 6000 and older Penn Spinfisher 5500SS.

But when there's that time for the 40"+ stripers, that's when you're talking a heavy action 9 or 10 footer with mono line such as 25 pound test.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, if you call 36" and up schoolies then your sick. May is when the Striper action gets pretty hot as they are chasing the Herring up the rivers and where I go I rarely catch smaller then around 32" but usually bigger. It also depends on where you are fishing. If your going to be at the Cape in the Canal you better not even think of bringing anything less then a Heavy duty rod and reel with minimum of 50 lb braid!!! I fish in the strong current a lot so I need braid. Stripers start coming typically mid April and Peak in May, true some Cows may come later but the majority come in this time frame and that includes plenty of cows.

Michael

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:
Michael, if you call 36" and up schoolies then your sick. May is when the Striper action gets pretty hot as they are chasing the Herring up the rivers and where I go I rarely catch smaller then around 32" but usually bigger. It also depends on where you are fishing. If your going to be at the Cape in the Canal you better not even think of bringing anything less then a Heavy duty rod and reel with minimum of 50 lb braid!!! I fish in the strong current a lot so I need braid. Stripers start coming typically mid April and Peak in May, true some Cows may come later but the majority come in this time frame and that includes plenty of cows.

I've always heard others say that spring is mostly a schoolie season and the biggest spring striper I ever caught was 27". Never knew cows were thick in the spring too.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must not be fishing in the right place then! 2 Months from now we will be bringing in the nice 1's!

jimbojonez

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scallop guts @ Provincetown Pier. you can take a lure with treble hooks on it and fish them right off the back of the docked scallop boat. Check your tide frame so you know what time to fish. the three four hour dead low window can be pretty boring.
jimbojonez

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah. so once you get a decent amount of scallop guts hook them well onto a bay rig with a striper hook or a circle hook and just enough weight to get it down. cast and wait.
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for making my self a hypocrite by using this post but

Michael try using the EDIT button to combine your posts

Please tell me how many words I misspelled k thanks =)

Oh and Michael I appreciate reading your responses to users posts, that do not answer their questions but, give out random information that may be off topic

One example my post about a specific water body in ridgefield where you told me about wilton which even though they are close had nothing to do with what i asked.

I fish two ponds literally about 100 yards from each other one was 2-3 inches thick while the other was 4-5 inches

sorry for the thread robbery
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: