CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Help, I have spinnerbait fear syndrome Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most guys I know use black spinnerbaits at night. I've been told that it has something to do with black having a greater contrast against the darkening sky for a fish looking at it from below. I'm going to test both black and white spinnerbaits, tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
Most guys I know use black spinnerbaits at night. I've been told that it has something to do with black having a greater contrast against the darkening sky for a fish looking at it from below. I'm going to test both black and white spinnerbaits, tonight.

You heard right, when fishing at night the "general" rule of thumb is that any dark colors i.e. black, black/blue, black/any color flake lol will stand out and silhouette against the night sky.
anointed130

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never caught anything on spinnerbaits either, but I bought a 3/8 on saturday from dicks, i think i may havesome success this year.

Have always been successful with rooster tails catching nice fish.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
anointed130

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never caught anything on spinnerbaits either, but I bought a 3/8 on saturday from dicks, i think i may havesome success this year.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anointed130 wrote:

How are you fishing them? I.e. Do you just cast and reel them in? Try changing up your speed, stop and go, jerk the rop tip to make the skirt flare out on the water, and fish different depths, and DONT be afraid to throw them in cover and burn/rip them thru it
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:

Phil - If you test this theory, make sure you use spinnerbaits that are identical in every way but color. I think the blade size/type, retrieve speed, and inclusion of a rattle are all more important variables than the color of the skirt.
I had a night last year when I threw only a spinnerbait/buzzbait for 12 straight hours (this night coincided with the onset of my rotator cuff issues.) I concluded that buzzbait color is 100% irrelevant, bass visibility is worst during fog, and if you're fishing in clear water, high in the water column, during a full moon, bass will hit any color spinnerbait.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree color is a huge factor which was proved last year and this year
to make a long story short

When my friends are catching fish I do 1 of 4 things
use the same exact lure
use something totally different
use a different size of the same lure (same color etc)
or
I will use the same exact lure all but the color
-usually with spinnerbaits senkos and buzzbaits more then any other lure

Last year a friend and I were doing just that using two different color of the exact same spinnerbiat
he wasnt catch much and it seemed like the fished just turned off.
He had i believe either a yellow or black skirt on his spinner and I had white
Once i switched to it, I caught 4 lmb and 1 smb with in 20 minutes

This year he has been using a brown spinnerbait and i tried white and yellow skirtered of the same exact spinner and he out fished me

The gear ration on his reels arnt much different then mine and we were basically fishing the same area and retrieving the lure pretty much the same way

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post is making my head spin Rolling Eyes
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my new spinnerbait

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perfect hook set wrote:
I disagree color is a huge factor which was proved last year and this year

I'm not disagreeing with you, just pointing out that in clear conditions, full moon, clear water and no wind, fishing about a foot under the surface...the fish see and hit a white spinnerbait no problem. Obviously these variables affect the visibility significantly, and are not indicative of white necessarily being better in any way. With any kind of cloud cover, less moonlight, wind ripple, stained water, etc. you should always go with the darkest spinnerbait you've got.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
rvolkers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: JUST HAVE SOME FUN! Reply with quote

I always keep one with me! - They are certainly not my go to bait - BUT they are a bait that i like to use and HAVE FUN WITH! I HAVE CAUGHT MY FAIR SHARE of fish on them and nothing beats the hit!! -- THIS IS the time of year to throw them! and i have told MANY kids that i work with! YOU DO NOT have to use them on a bait caster! they work on a spinning rod as well -- just tie direct! -- this time of year WHITE - BLACK and dull colors work good
rvolkers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="chuckc"]Here's my new spinnerbait

[img]http://www.thealabamarig.com/images/rig_blspinnerbaits.jpg[/img][/quote] :twisted:
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah ok we can still be friends turtlekiss...

chuck is a smart guy or whom ever set up that is

Today WINDY cloudy dark water shallow
White spinner did the trick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like most baits there is a time and a place for them. I can tell you this when the spinner bait bite is on it is the absolute best.

I like cloudy/rainy days with a little chop. Color chart/white 1/4-3/8 oz and a white grub trailer. I have my own secret blade style and color. I generally will start throwing when the water temp hits around 50 deg.

Also probably the best search bait!!

Throw throw throw!! Won a TNT with a 4.75 smallie last year on the river

Like I said there is something about the vibration for me, when it stops...well its all about the hookset!!

Marty
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perfect hook set wrote:
ah ok we can still be friends turtlekiss...

chuck is a smart guy or whom ever set up that is

Today WINDY cloudy dark water shallow
White spinner did the trick

I had the opposite results. Friend and I fished a private pond (during daylight) for about an hour. He caught 3 bass on the black spinnerbait in the first 30 minutes, lost a few others, and had chasers follow his bait to shore. The entire time, there was no interest in the white spinnerbait I had been throwing. After we traded our setups I caught 3 bass on the black spinnerbait & he caught nothing on the white one. They really seemed to hate the white.

Black spinnerbait worked great last night after dark at a different lake...4 bass over 2lbs, 4 bass over 3lbs, biggest was 5lbs even. Wasn't even planning to do any night fishing but it was hard to stop since I kept catching so many quality fish.

Last edited by TurtleKiss on Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: