CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Housatonic river Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know the number to call to see if the derby dam is open? I cant remember where i saw it. The last 2 times i tried fishing up there there was no flow and the fishing was terrible. I don't want to waste the gas going up there for stagnant h2o.
thanks
asianfisher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

used to have the # but lost it. tried calling the DEP but they gave me 3 non working #'s... Ive been looking for it also... will let you know if i do find it again... i got it from a guy in the trailer right by the dam maybe you can just walk up to it when you fish there.....
fishtrout24

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i went down last nite got 2 one 30 and one 28

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend lost his top half to his rod down there last night. Tica. If snagged by anybody please let me know. I have heard many stories of ppl pulling rods out.
Thanks
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW i got a keeper and my friend got 2 shorts. Didnt measure any, just released em. Heard the herring popping and saw some on the surface. Spring is here!
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fished it last night IN THE RAIN for about an hour and a half. Yes we are CRAZY Laughing
Watched O'sullivan's just about go underwater before we left. Had 1 fish on for around 5 seconds.
The previous night my friend got a FAT 33.5"er.
Can't wait to do it again.
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it again last night on the incoming tide. No luck. The conditions seemed fine as the water level rose up. Slowed down the rapids quite a bit. Herring jumping nearby. Lots of fishing birds on the bank by the small creek coming in.Full moon. Should have been bass, but 3.5 hrs brought nothing. I'm assuming the amount of freshwater coming down the river bothers the fish. Sends them deeper? Who knows, but I'm gonna try again tonight maybe downstream somewhere. Will give a report if i figure out where the fish are and what they're hitting.
When we were leaving last night there was a guy fishing the housy side right by the rte 8 bridge said he got 4 schoolies on sandworms. We tried throwing lures for a quick minute there with no success.
BassRican

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been wanting to fish the Derby Dam / Housatonic River for striper. Is it necessary to have waders to fish these areas? Wouldn't mind hooking up with someone to learn some stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey bassrican. i live in southington and currently without a ride. But try to get down there as much as possible. Think i seen you got a yak. phil and i plan on goig down there soon asa some better weather come along. I'll go whenever. I live right next door to you in southington. And bro dont think you seen stuff like this where ever you came from once the bait fish come up the rivers. Get ready for some crazy top water action with some big ass fish from the yak.... Whats your schedule like?
SheltonTom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Derby Dam Reply with quote

No need for waders at the Deby dam. I was there today and caught two shorts in the AM. othing in the afternoon, though. Caught a few short at O'Sullivan's Island yesterday on sandworms.
DickVanPike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

be careful yakkin on the housy, last season 8 yakkers drowned on the river, it runs pretty hard...just be careful
BassRican

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asianfisher - It wasn't me. I don't have a kayak. I will be on my feet without waders. I just cant swing getting some yet. My schedule is basically whenever I can get a sitter for the kids. Not working right now. I'm Mr. Mom!
So I usually need to plan ahead alittle. Thats the action I'm looking for!

SheltonTom - Thanks for the heads up about the waders and the report. I just dont want to go up there extremely unprepaired. Knowledge comes with time of course.

DickVanPike - Thanks for the warning. I won't be yaking.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

housy never had a problem yaking it. Althought we didnt have alot of rain when i go. River at normal plus whether the dam is open or closed never bothered me. Dont get me wrong and just go out there im just comfortable im most situations so far.We should go soon i know alot of guys wanting to go too..
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 keepers in a row last night. My friend hit a 37+"er.
Fish went ape for about 1.5 hrs.
Dude caught (not snagged) a herring on a bomber lol.
asianfisher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF cant get down there... no one i know except daveydave fishes for "big" fish... Cant wait to get another ride. My fishing time has been cut. Thanks kira and phil for making it happen.... And daryl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: