CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: Humminbird vs Lowrance Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Humminbird vs Lowrance Reply with quote

I am getting ready to spend some hard earned cash.

Looking at the Lowrance HDS-10 or the Humminbird 1197.

Pros and Cons...?! Anyone.

Maybe if those companies have spiders out there they can answer this question.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ron!

Neither Exclamation If your going to spend that kind of money go for one of the 2 top of the line finders -> #1 Furuno (www.furunousa.com), or equivilant Garmin.

Lowrance and Hummingbirds are WANNA BE's!

Right now I'm considering getting the (New to market) "Garmin echo 300c portable" for my 14' guide-boat.

I did a lot of research on finders and all the pros and cons.

Furuno and Garmin beat all others (and from personal experience) they are the best and the ones we primarily used on commercial fishing vessels and oceangraphic vessels Exclamation

Best regards,
SeaDog1
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a preference but I have heard that garmin has the best customer service and really stand by their product if it fails. I have heard horror stories about lowerance being sent in for warranty repairs.

Justin
flippy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnie, you crack me up, you belong to a great club where almost everybody is familiar with those units, why dont you ask the guys in your club???? They will have much more info than this sight!! And Seadog if those units are so great, why do the pros use the Humminbirds and Lowrances???? If I was chasing thousands of dollars I would want the best,,, RIGHT,,, so why dont we hear that much from them, I have owned a GARMIN, and you can have it,,, I will take a Lowrance or Humminbird anyday over anything else...
skeeterjohn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have humminbirds with no complaits at all.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flippy wrote:
Ronnie, you crack me up, you belong to a great club where almost everybody is familiar with those units, why dont you ask the guys in your club???? They will have much more info than this sight!! And Seadog if those units are so great, why do the pros use the Humminbirds and Lowrances???? If I was chasing thousands of dollars I would want the best,,, RIGHT,,, so why dont we hear that much from them, I have owned a GARMIN, and you can have it,,, I will take a Lowrance or Humminbird anyday over anything else...

Hi flippy!

Well first of all -> The bass tournament road is packed with companies that want their products advertised and the tournament fishermen get a %.
Hate to say it But -> DUH Exclamation Not exactly rocket science -> NASCAR drivers do the same. (Go ahead -> Count the number of product stickers on bass/boats or race cars -> Lets add jackets and ball-caps also).

Don't get me started -> FACT IS -> Furuno, Garmin, and Raymarine are the TOP 3 rated Brands in fish finders -> Per 4 independent marine electronic reviews Exclamation and "again" used by the vast majority of commercial fishing vessels and oceangraphic vessels. (When your dealing with large amounts of money spent and/or need reliability you don't buy or use a WANNA BE Exclamation )

If you like your Lowrance/Hummingbird ->( "WANNA BE A BIG BOY TOY type FINDER Exclamation" ) -> That's OK! -> You get what you pay for! -> and the "TRUTHFUL FACT" is they are rated at the low end of the overall fish finder spectrum!

Oh! And Don't come back yelling at me -> DO THE RESEARCH -> I DID Exclamation

Oh! As an FYI -> After WWII the idea of "Built in obsolecents" -> A product made to last only so long was an idea built into most hard products -> If a TV or Coffee Maker goes bad after the warranty expires, do you get it fixed -> No! You buy a new one ! -> So low end fish finders only last so long and your going to have to buy a new one -> So the thing to do, is buy the best rated you can and afford Exclamation

Best regards,
SeaDog1

Last edited by SeaDog1 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, Stephen, I think that Ron will probably be fishing mostly fresh water for largemouth bass. A fish finder that works best for "commercial fishing vessels and oceangraphic vessels" is not necessarily best suited for his purposes. If I told you that I was choosing between Subaru and a Ford, would you tell me to buy a Rolls-Royce or Ferrari? Not helpful.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil!

No! You've got what I'm getting at -> Totally WRONG!

Furuno, Garmin, And Raymarine also make fish finder units for the rectreational fishermen.
And they've been making those units as well as commercial units for decades longer and rated as high-end quality units.

Lowrance, Hummingbird, Eagle, and some others came in at a later date to fulfilled a nich market with good but not really high-end fish finders to recreational users at lower prices and flooded the market with their products + expending monies in advertising and promotions!

Sure you can get a low-end Bentley, Rolls-Royce, Jaguar, Saab which is what a Furuno, Garmin, or Raymarine recreational fish finder is and last for years due to quality (And at a decent price) Exclamation

OR

You can get a Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Yugo which is a usable vehicle at a relatively lower price, less quality, and life expectancy then those listed above which is the nich that Lowrance, Hummingbird, Eagle, etc. fill with their fish finders.

This is a FACT not FICTION -> You have High-end Manufactures -> Middle of the road Manufactures -> and Low-end Manufactures.

This goes for just about everything made by man on this planet Exclamation

That is the point I'm making Exclamation

Me -> I'll always go for products that are the best rated, have quality, and at the best decent price I can afford Exclamation

Best regards,
SeaDog1
flippy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well whatever floats your boat,,,I really dont want to get into conflicting over stupid fishfinders, I know what works for everybody I know, and my experiences with Lowrance and Humminbird are nothing but great,,, so if you like bigger navagation units or their cheap versions,,, go for it,,, I only talk with experience not ratings,,, so if you want to mount a garmin on your 14ft dingy go for it,, good luck,,, this is why alot of things arent posted because of the stupid feedback you get,, we have a guy that asks about 2 units and it gets blown out of wack, with people coming back with stupid odd remarks, that nobody really cares about..
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take either one of these finders on my yak. I'd just have to figure out where to stow the battery. . . .

Seriously, Ron, I saw a thread from last Spring where both of these were being considered:

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/forum/marine-electronics/humminbird-1197c-or-garmin-5208-or-lowrance-hds-10-which-one

The big concern seemed to be the reliability of the Lowrance unit and the quality of Lowrance's customer service. I have a Humminbird 385ci on my Hobie and Kira loves it (and I never get to use it Confused)!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Here's an article I saved to my PC some time ago!

Gives a very good review and prespective of what to look for in deciding what Fish Finder specifications you should consider before buying!

www.practical-sailor.com/sample/Fishfinder.html

This article should help many in understanding the workings of a fish finder and which type may be best for them.

Ron -> You asked for opinions/pros/cons and I presented mine -> Though not on the particular fish finders your interested in,..... but at least I presented some other options/brands you may well worth consider doing research on!

flippy! -> I wouldn't call that blowing things out of wack -> Helping a fellow fisherman out when they ask a question is what this or any forum is all about Exclamation

Hope the article helps you in your decision Exclamation

Best regards,
SeaDog1

Last edited by SeaDog1 on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
flippy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="flippy"]Well whatever floats your boat,,,I really dont want to get into conflicting over stupid fishfinders, I know what works for everybody I know, and my experiences with Lowrance and Humminbird are nothing but great,,, so if you like bigger navagation units or their cheap versions,,, go for it,,, I only talk with experience not ratings,,, so if you want to mount a garmin on your 14ft dingy go for it,, good luck,,, this is why alot of things arent posted because of the stupid feedback you get,, we have a guy that asks about 2 units and it gets blown out of wack, with people coming back with stupid odd remarks, that nobody really cares about.... and when you start talking about independant studies,,, give me a break,,, I was with Ben Moore paints for a # of years and Consumer reports came out with a report on how Behr Paints exceed all competition,WHAT,,, You can take those reports and stick it... after Ben moore got done with them their reports changed really quick,,, now if they have asked pro painters what they thought was the best,, that wouldve been a report,,, but to have people rolling out paint and giving their opinion,, and these people no nothing about paint,,, please give me a break.... always go with people that have experience,,, not wanna bees,, I have friends that sail all over the Carribean, and yes they use the Raymarine for navigation,, I got news for you,,, he tourny fishes also and guess what he uses for GPS and fishfinders and he thinks they are awesome yes its Lowrance,, so say what you will cause you always do,, and what is that report,, theyre using shit units,, back in the 90s, the power has jumped considerably, and never mind the down imaging and side imaging,, dont knock it till you have seen one in action,, and their new HDS systems are incredible,, and I did not ask about fishfinders,

Last edited by flippy on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another discussion thread on these two finders:

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5004516/1

There's always a chance that you'll have a problem with any product. If I were spending that kind of money on a finder, I'd want to see each of them in action before buying one.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peco,,, ABSOLUTELY
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil!

I'm very much in agreement with you Exclamation

But I'd also like to know, in addtion, the track record of a particular brand, durability, and reliable service program provided by the manufacture (particularly important!).

SeaDog1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: