CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Is anyone going out today? 1/2/10 Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Max!

We had 2 days of exceptionally warm Wx + rain which has turned the overlying snow into a 2-3 inch layer of heavy slush.

Now I'm not trying to ride you here -> But asking the question if anyone knows when good ice will be back is obviously a bit ridiculous.
No one can answer that because numerous and variable factors can occur in every body of water Exclamation

Example: West Hill Pond -> Usually the very last body of water to freeze here in Ct. because of the number of springs in it.

But by watching the Wx reports (cold temps next few days) and applying some common sense, the ice should be reliable in most waters by Tuesday night - Wed. for sure!
By then the pooled water and slush will have frozen and adhered to the black ice below!

REMEMBER Exclamation There is no such thing as Safe Ice -> EVER Exclamation
Always spud your way out onto ANY ice and have all your safety gear on you Exclamation

Be SMART Exclamation -> Be SAFE Exclamation -> Have FUN Exclamation

Best regards,
SeaDog1
Maximillion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SD! I was assuming the same thing. Im going wednesday to a small shallow pond with one small channel, just to be safe.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We averaged seven inches of black ice on the upper pond at Nod Brook WMA on the Avon/Simsbury town line and its's only getting thicker. Our holes would skim over with fresh ice within five minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peco did you catch anything?
jonnyfly00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we caught an assorted total of 14 fish, 4 different species so it was a good day. im sure phil's report is soon to follow. lots of cracking going at nod as well but the ice was never really anywhere below 5 inches and well over 7 in some areas, aside from the open water near the culvert.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jon!

Yeah! All that ice cracking is the ice expanding, which is a good sign Exclamation

Can really scare a novice when you get a real boomer that goes right under you Exclamation

1st time it happened to me, I was a kid fishing with my Uncle.
He laughed his A$$ off after I jumped 3 ft. into the air.

Glad to hear you guys had a good time.

Got my Mass. license today and checked out Onota and Littleville on how the Smelt fishing is. Starting off slow but it will pick up over the next few weeks.

SeaDog1
jonnyfly00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, we pretty much became completely desensitized to it eventually. it was fun to see nod brook wma produce under the ice. swedish pimples tipped with wax worms for almost every single fish
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: