CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: kayaks,,, you can have them!! Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flippy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: kayaks,,, you can have them!! Reply with quote

Just got back from Highland,, my buddy has a fancy fishing kayak and a canoe,, at first I told him I was looking into buying a kayak,, he told me to hang off and first try his,, first of all getting into it was work, never mind getting your feet wet,, second of all How THE HELL do you see what your fishing,, it was hard to stand up in,, I got cramps from sitting like that,, you cant even move around,, I thought loading it and unloading it was a pain,, its easier to load my stratos,, waves were coming over the kayak,, what a freakin JOKE,,, you guys can have them,, you guys dont even know what your missing!!!! Better off buying a little 14ft row boat,,, maybe for a workout,, but holy crap,,, your better off with a canoe,,, I wouldnt take one even if it was givin to me,,, for fishing,,, ARE YOU CRAZY,,, and this thing was all padded, you fit nice into it,,, after a couple hours I went to him and took the canoe,,, he laughed,,, I dont see how the hell you guys can see what your fishing,,, your missing so much,,for anybody looking to buy one for fishing,,, let me tell you,,, you better try one first,,, like I said the canoe was 100% better,,, PERIOD
slim2043

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean when you say " how do you see what you're fishing" ? The perspective of being close to the water vs in a boat you are higher above the water? I can see just fine. Sure there are pros and cons to kayak vs boat and seeing as you are a boat guy I can see how you are hating everything about the kayak experience. It's not for everyone that is for sure. I love my kayak. It runs on me so I can go even when the money is short. At least you tried it before you bought one.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kayaks are good if you are fishing a very shallow weed filled pond, since 90% of the structure and cover is visible. I agree with you that kayaks SUCK in lakes with pleasure boaters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxCdnQ8WEfQ
flippy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said,, How do you see what your fishing,, as in submerged stumps, rocks, holes in weeds that are below the surface????,, I could see everything that was out of the water,, Damn, and he said that was a really good one,, Old Time, Cambul or Camble, I dont freakin know,, It had a nice dry storage area and it was padded all around for comfort,, ya right,, it also had nice rod holders, and blah blah blah WHOOPIE DUPPIE,, Im going to get a canoe,, Ive read on here how alot of you guys have kayaks and love them,,, WHY??? Ive got a couple private ponds that I will be fishing and it wont be from a kayak,, How do you guys try to be stealthy in one,,, you always have to cast either side arm or over hand,, Your better off racing up with a gas engine and trolling to a spot,, And what do you do if you have to piss,,,in a cup??? Can you guys fish for hours in one,, if you can,,, what do you study YOGA??? Holy Moly,, anyway its not for me,, and like I said,, if your looking to get one,, fish in one first,, BELIEVE ME. thats why his kayak still looks new and the canoe is all beat up,, I had said to him,, boy, I know what you use more!!!
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some kayaks in which you can stand and fish. Well, I can stand and fish in them, at least. Wink Canoes are definitely more versatile than kayaks. Plus, they tend to weigh less for a given length of boat. And the rule for paddlers is the longer the boat, the better. The biggest problem with a canoe is that it's more affected by wind than a kayak. Derek and I had a heck of a time paddling against the wind today, but it would have been much, much worse in a canoe.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no comparison fishing from a bass boat vs. fishing from a kayak. Two totally different worlds. I enjoy both but if I had to pick only one (and I had the $$) it would be a bass boat. There's nothing like fishing on a flat stable surface being able to see much more of the structure on bottom. The main benefits I can see to a kayak is getting into tight areas where a bass boat can't go and there is no gas or big ticket maintenance bills or boat loans.
flippy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did flip it and roll over,, took me a couple tries but did manage it,, that was the only thing I liked about it,, but I guess that was me,, I will and always do,, deal with the wind,, My buddy got his for fishing,, now it sits in his garage and ounce in awhile sees the farmington river for a short stroll,, I told him I would take it off his hands and sink it for structure,,,, funny thing is,,, hes considering it Laughing Derek, you cant compare it to a fishing rig,, I was comparing it to a canoe,, What I liked about the canoe is that you can fish 2 people comfortably(well considering) and if both people are fairly waterlegged,, you can both stand up,,

Last edited by flippy on Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to try out Phil's Hobie Pro Angler. Much better than a canoe for one person.
flippy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek,,, Your kidding.. right???
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this in a canoe...

Link
flippy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats just plain STUPID,, and how much is that kayak,, even though it looks very stable,, but for fresh water I wouldnt pay that,, you could get a 14ft boat motor and trailer(used) for that money,,, I dont think there worth it,, Look at the guys catching tuna with jet skis,, I just bought a canoe,, time to flip some puddles
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least I haven't run over anyone with my kayak!

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/1-Dead-3-Injured-in-Separate-Boating-Accidents.html

Man, are boaters getting stupider?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys!

Wow! Good lively discussion !

If I hadn't built my Guide Boat 1st -> I would have put my money down for the following:

www.Gheenoe.net

Still might !

Check-out the "LOW TIDE" version and watch the videos.

"Stability and Comfort" are my 1st and foremost priorities Exclamation Thumbs Up

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look pretty cool!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Again!

While viewing the Gheenoe site, I found their custom site.

www.customgheenoe.com

See where they produce a row/paddle/push pole version called an "NMZ" ->(No Motor Zone).
Read where they make this in a 13' model also besides the 15' 4".

Now I'm really interested -> Love that incredible stability factor Exclamation Thumbs Up

SeaDog1 Mr. Green

Last edited by SeaDog1 on Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: