CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Mt. Tom Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anointed130

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great information, what do alewife look like, I think I saw some floating at congamond.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
avidangler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YUP......ME TOO. Very Happy

Randy, Here is the answer I was given by our Inland Fisheries folks:

The list of lakes where alewife may be taken can be found on page 13 (bottom right) of the 2013 CT Angler’s Guide. Note that Mount Tom Pond is currently not included in that list so alewife cannot be taken legally at Mount Tom Pond.

As you are aware, to protect anadromous populations, there is a general prohibition on the taking of alewife and blueback herring. A list of areas where landlocked alewife may be taken is included in the declaration that annually renews this prohibition. However, as the population of landlocked alewife in Mount Tom Pond developed just recently, it’s never been included in the list of areas with landlocked alewife for purposes of the declaration. Inland Fisheries staff will review the available information concerning areas with newly observed populations of landlocked alewife prior to issuance of the 2014 declaration to determine whether their inclusion in the list of areas where alewife can be taken is appropriate.

Note that the use of live alewives (plus some other clupeids) is allowed in most inland waters, including Mount Tom Pond. Note that there are some exceptions, and below is the list of water bodies where their use as bait is prohibited:

• Alexander Lake (Killingly). • Colebrook River Lake (Colebrook and Massachusetts). • East Twin Lake (Salisbury). • Lake Pocotopaug (East Hampton). • Saugatuck Reservoir (Easton, Redding, Weston). • Shenipsit Lake (Ellington, Tolland, Vernon). • Waumgumbaug Lake (Coventry Lake -Coventry). • West Branch Reservoir (Hogback -Hartland, Colebrook). • West Hill Pond (New Hartford, Barkhamsted). • West Twin Lake (Salisbury). • Wononscopomuc Lake (Salisbury).

So in summary, currently one can use live alewife as bait at Mount Tom Pond, but cannot legally take alewife at Mount Tom Pond.

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know guys. Thanks for the detective work. Keep catching those big fish Damage!
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
avidangler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only then do you face the POSSIBLY of a DEEP official giving you a hassle.
PROVE you didn't catch them at Mt Tom and not at (ex: Crystal lake) or somewhere else.Only to bring them to Mt Tom for bait.
If you BUY them i suggest saving the reciept. ..just incase from now on.
If it comes down to having to PROVE my legality over bait.
I'm going to be one Pssssssd fisherman! Evil or Very Mad

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
avidangler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got a response from the DEEP.
Other than"Save your recipt if you buy your alewives"

The closure declaration is authorized under section 26-102 of the Connecticut General Statutes and addresses only the “taking” of alewife and blueback herring, and not the “possession.” This statute authorizes declaring a closed season, but does not include any authorization to prohibit possession. So, yes, one could legally use all the alewife they want at Mount Tom Pond if obtained legally (from Candlewood Lake for example, or purchased from a bait shop – I’d still suggest keeping the receipt). The violation of law would not come until one was attempting to, or in the process of, hooking/netting/bringing into the boat alewife at Mount Tom Pond and were observed doing so.

Basically, They have to catch you in the act of "taking" them from the water.
If they accuse you.Demand a photo or video of proof!

damage inc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to Mt Tom yesterday hunting Salmon and Trout..... got a perch. It was slow!!!

Had a half dozen bites, but all they were doing was nibbling. Nothing solid. Water temp was still around 80 degrees. Not going back till september.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to Mt Tom at 6:30. Last time I was there (one month ago) I only caught one measly yellow perch. This time I caught 4 pickerel, one yellow perch and a 19" 3.2 lb largemouth. I was of course trolling for trout and or salmon but once you get close to the edges at Mt Tom, you get hits from every other species! I got half a dozen bites from trout but again, they didn't want to eat! They were playing with the Alwives like a cat with a ball of yarn.

One of the pickerel was the biggest I've ever seen! 27" 3.7 lbs! I thought it was a pike but it was way too green to be a pike.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been hearing it's slow there.how deep are you trolling????

Id try flies if i were you.
When i get short strikes going smaller usually works.
I've spoken with one if the regulars there (Frank Barata) who kayakfishes it.In the summer he uses small flies like nymphs on sinking line and does pretty well with trout and small salmon.
OR. when spin casting he goes DEEP and uses a reef runner that dives 15-20 feet out in the middle.He also finds success (fishing shade) on the park side early morning
When the sun hits the water the bite seems to die off.
Early morning or towards sunset seem to produce more often.

On another note.....

He caught 5 browns and lost 1 big BOW slow trolling flies from his belly boat last Friday at Mohawk.

He's been staying away from Mt Tom until the beach closes but,will return with flies when he does.
In the fall he'll upsize to alewife imitating lures and flies.

damage inc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips Avid! yeah i'm varying depths to see what will work. between 15 and 35 feet. Trolling super slow with live bait hooked through the back and the middle of the nose. Believe it or not the best Trout hits were at the 15 foot mark. Deep only produced one or two hits.

I couldn't believe the size of that pickerel yesterday! That was fun! Might go try the Saugatuck tonight for a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damage inc wrote:
Thanks for the tips Avid! yeah i'm varying depths to see what will work. between 15 and 35 feet. Trolling super slow with live bait hooked through the back and the middle of the nose. Believe it or not the best Trout hits were at the 15 foot mark. Deep only produced one or two hits.

I couldn't believe the size of that pickerel yesterday! That was fun! Might go try the Saugatuck tonight for a bit.

That IS a BIG Pickrel! I caught one there last fall around 25 and thought it was a pike also.It was a strong fighter and fat. mine came from slow trolling a dead alewife out in front of the park about 60 feet from shore.

I guess the salmon and trout just don't want to be as active in the summer months.
I hope they "wake up" when the water cools down.
Good fishing to you if you go to Saugy!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: