CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Mt. Tom Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
damage inc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Mt. Tom Reply with quote

Hitting it again tomorrow! Had a great time last weekend! Early early early. I'll be the 1st one in line for bait at the "Strangler" at 5:00AM!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killed it today!

6:45 AM 31" 6lb Atlantic Salmon-PB!

After that the action was fierce! 9 browns and 1 yellow perch.

Must of missed a dozen more that played with my bait.

Love it up there!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an awesome day!

Any pics?
damage inc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have pics but this godforsaken interface sucks to upload to! I never have luck and I've tried to follow your directions. Why can't the programmer make it easier?!? There would be a ton of awesome pics up! I know there would.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE JOB!
Sounds like a fantastic day.
I'm glad that you hooked into AND landed a salmon.Very nice size too.

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
packerbacker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damage, nice job. Never fished for lake trout....what do you use? how deep do you have to go? Is it even worth trying without a depth finder? Any advise would be appreciated.
damage inc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

packerbacker
there is nothing like catching a trout! Bass are fun and all but my thought is: A trout is like a dog. Go fetch dog and it will. A trout is like a cat. They toy with you and do things on their time.

As for a depth finder I rarely use them. Know your depths. This is a great site:
http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/fishing/general_information/lakebathymetrymaps.pdf
Trout typically thrive in lakes that have have natural springs and ones that have deep sections.

I live line Alwives mostly and I troll them vey slowly at various depths till I can target what depth the natural bait fish are at. I will also use spinners and spoons. Blue and silver when its sunny and gold when its cloudy.

Something I never leave home without are "Strike Guards"! You leave the bail open with these so when mr or mrs trout takes the bait all you have to do is flip the bail down set the hook and reel em in. This is great cause your drag is set to what you want and you don't have to fumble with it while your trying to yank in the fish. GET THEM!

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damage inc, there aren't too many places where you can use live alewives. Check the regs.
damage inc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen no regulations for the use of Alwives at Mt Tom. As a matter of fact I know that they introduced Walleye to Mt Tom to keep the Alwives in check.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damage inc wrote:
I've seen no regulations for the use of Alwives at Mt Tom. As a matter of fact I know that they introduced Walleye to Mt Tom to keep the Alwives in check.

Might want to double check. DEEP only list the lakes where taking of alewives is allowed. All others are restricted.
Quote:
Landlocked alewife
Landlocked alewife populations are established in several Connecticut
lakes and ponds. Landlocked alewife may be taken by angling or scoop
net only from the following lakes:
Amos Lake Crystal Lake (Ellington) Rogers Lake
Ball Pond Highland Lake Squantz Pond
Beach Pond Quassapaug Lake Uncas Lake
Candlewood Lake Quonnipaug Lake Waramaug Lake

Bait species (allowed for live bait): Common shiner, golden shiner, fallfish, creek chub, spottail
shiner, bridle shiner, blacknose dace, longnose dace, pearl dace,
bluntnose minnow, fathead minnow, cutlips minnow, chub sucker,
white sucker, killifish, mummichog, Atlantic & tidewater silverside,
sand lance, frogs (except northern leopard frog), crayfish (except rusty
crayfish), perch bugs, hellgrammites and mayfly nymphs

$154 per count fine for violations. I'd call DEEP, or that might be one hell of an expensive day if they check your bait well.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
damage inc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you posted above is for what species you can legally TAKE from the bodies of water listed. No where in the Guide does it say that you cannot use Alwives in MT Tom. I'm not saying you are wrong just sating that I've never heard or seen a sign stating the use of Alwives being outlawed at Mt Tom.

This is from the rulebook:

BAIT SPECIES The following species of fish, amphibians, aquatic insects and crustaceans may be taken by sport fishermen for personal use (a recreational fishing license is required), but may only be sold if taken under an inland commercial bait license.
• Bait species: Common shiner, golden shiner, fallfish, creek chub, spot- tail shiner, bridle shiner, blacknose dace, longnose dace, pearl dace, bluntnose minnow, fathead minnow, cutlips minnow, chub sucker, white sucker, killifish, mummichog, Atlantic & tidewater silverside, sand lance, frogs (except northern leopard frog), crayfish (except rusty crayfish), perch bugs, hellgrammites and mayfly nymphs.
• The legal methods for taking the bait species listed above are as follows:
— Rivers&streams:Baitspeciesmaybetakenatanytimewithseines not over 15 ft. long and 4 ft. deep, bait traps not over 20 inches long and 15 inches in diameter, and umbrella nets not over 4 ft. by 4 ft.
— Lakes&ponds:Baitspeciesmaybetakenatanytimewithbait traps not over 20 inches long and 15 inches in diameter and umbrella nets not over 4 ft. by 4 ft. Seines shall not be used in lakes and ponds except those designated by the DEEP as open to commercial taking of bait. Where posted, taking, use or posses- sion of fish as bait is prohibited in lakes and ponds.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damage inc wrote:
I'm not saying you are wrong just sating that I've never heard or seen a sign stating the use of Alwives being outlawed at Mt Tom.

They don't signpost all the driving laws on every road. I don't think that excuse would sway a state trooper. Smile Not trying to bust your balls. I'm just curious as to what the rule is, as they aren't listed as a permitted live bait, though you can obviously take them in numerous places. What else you would do with them, I don't know. I may call out of curiosity. I just wouldn't want to risk getting nailed, as I watched a guy rack up a grand in fines at Baldwin last season. They threatened to impound his boat and vehicle.

Anyway, glad you're catching up there, because it sucks down on the LIS.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
avidangler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another question for you.Regarding the use of ALEWIVES in MOUNT TOM STATE PARK. Nowhere's in the Ct anglers guide does it list MT TOM as one of the bodies of water where it is ILLEGAL to use or catch alewives as bait.I know they are in there and Walleye were introduced to keep their population in check. My question is.Can i use alewives dead/alive in Mt Tom? AND. Can i catch ones from the existing population to use as bait? I don't want to break any laws if it is ILLEGAL THERE.As of now i can find NO INFORMATION where this law applys to Mt Tom.

I JUST SENT THIS LETTER TO THE DEEP.I WILL HAVE AN ANSWER FOR YOU ASAP.

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
damage inc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you're not busting my stones bro! This is a great source for information for all of us. The rule book is just unclear. Not that I would want to go to court for something as stupid as using friggin Alwives in a body of water but I would. The laws are not clear enough. Every bait shop sells em and let's face it. They're like "crack" for fish. It's the edge many anglers use so they don't have a shitty day including myself.

Love ya like a brother!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my answer and it's music to my ears! I wrote the DEEP on Facebook and the reply is as follows:

Chris - Yes, you can use alewives as bait alive or dead in Mount Tom, you just can not catch them there. Below is a detailed statement:

The list of lakes where alewife may be taken can be found on page 13 (bottom right) of the 2013 CT Angler’s Guide. Note that Mount Tom Pond is currently not included in that list so alewife cannot be taken legally at Mount Tom Pond.

To protect anadromous populations, there is a general prohibition on the taking of alewife and blueback herring. A list of areas where landlocked alewife may be taken is included in the declaration that annually renews this prohibition. However, as the population of landlocked alewife in Mount Tom Pond developed just recently, it’s never been included in the list of areas with landlocked alewife for purposes of the declaration. Inland Fisheries staff will review the available information concerning areas with newly observed populations of landlocked alewife prior to issuance of the 2014 declaration to determine whether their inclusion in the list of areas where alewife can be taken is appropriate.

Note that the use of live alewives (plus some other clupeids) is allowed in most inland waters, including Mount Tom Pond. Note that there are some exceptions, and below is the list of water bodies where their use as bait is prohibited:
• Alexander Lake (Killingly).
• Colebrook River Lake (Colebrook and Massachusetts).
• East Twin Lake (Salisbury).
• Lake Pocotopaug (East Hampton).
• Saugatuck Reservoir (Easton, Redding, Weston).
• Shenipsit Lake (Ellington, Tolland, Vernon).
• Waumgumbaug Lake (Coventry Lake -Coventry).
• West Branch Reservoir (Hogback - Hartland, Colebrook).
• West Hill Pond (New Hartford, Barkhamsted).
• West Twin Lake (Salisbury).
• Wononscopomuc Lake (Salisbury).

So in summary, currently one can use live alewife as bait at Mount Tom Pond, but cannot legally take (fish for) alewife at Mount Tom Pond.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: