CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: Need Fish Finder Recomendations Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
F4F,

Something I'd like to know about the Duracells is if they stay charged while not using them or if they die on their own like your average 12 volt?

You guys DO realize that eight 1.5 volt AA batteries are the equivalent of a single 12 volt battery, right? I don't understand why a homemade array of AA batteries is better than a single 12 volt, eight Ah battery. Heck, Cabela's has 2 batteries and a charger on sale for only $32.99, right now:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Rechargeable-12-Volt-Battery/700551.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dbattery%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=battery&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
Michael wrote:
F4F,

Something I'd like to know about the Duracells is if they stay charged while not using them or if they die on their own like your average 12 volt?

You guys DO realize that eight 1.5 volt AA batteries are the equivalent of a single 12 volt battery, right? I don't understand why a homemade array of AA batteries is better than a single 12 volt, eight Ah battery. Heck, Cabela's has 2 batteries and a charger on sale for only $32.99, right now:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Rechargeable-12-Volt-Battery/700551.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dbattery%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=battery&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Weight is the big difference Phil. A sub-difference is grip. Another one is safety.

I was having trouble with a heavy Enercell 12 volt and couldn't get anything to hold it. Plus, having a heavier battery makes a difference in paddling.

I also find it much easier and cheaper to plug a small AA charger in an outlet than have a bigger and heavier 12 volt with wires.

My yak came with an electric trolling motor and the original owner had some wiring work done on it. I don't have any plans for using the trolling motor, plus I don't have any certificate for using a motor. I'd rather take it easy with paddling in smaller lakes, coves, lakes that don't get boat pressure, and areas of the Sound close to shore.

I didn't have any safety items for the battery too.

The "grips" or "claws" at the end of each wire were in the shape of a wrench which didn't match the Enercell's area. Decided to take the wiring apart and remove the older Humminbird and redo things on my own by making it simple with not much extra weight and keeping things safe a sturdy.
JesseC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was honestly having the same problem, contemplating how i would power a relatively inexpensive fish finder on my 10' jon boat without a big lunky battery cause i dont plan on having any other electronics on board besides the fishfinder itself, cause i dont really plan on getting an electric trolling motor, i think the 2 horse gas motor i'm picking up will be fine for trolling and getting around places. I'm really glad now that i found this thread and that you asked that question already michael Very Happy cause now i dont have to! Wink Let me know how it works out for you with the batteries, and the fish finder as well, cause like i said i was looking for one in the same price range for a similar sized small boat anyways. thanks again,

-Jesse
JesseC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
Michael wrote:
F4F,

then again having this one battery looks like it would be alot easier and simpler for my jon boat, or you guys think it's overkill for just a fishfinder?
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't feel like arguing with Michael earlier in this thread, but all of the reasons he gave for not using a single battery are silly. Get the 8.0 Ah battery and charger from Cabela's. They're on sale right now for only $27.99:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks peco Very Happy thats a good deal for sure
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JesseC wrote:
i was honestly having the same problem, contemplating how i would power a relatively inexpensive fish finder on my 10' jon boat without a big lunky battery cause i dont plan on having any other electronics on board besides the fishfinder itself, cause i dont really plan on getting an electric trolling motor, i think the 2 horse gas motor i'm picking up will be fine for trolling and getting around places. I'm really glad now that i found this thread and that you asked that question already michael Very Happy cause now i dont have to! Wink Let me know how it works out for you with the batteries, and the fish finder as well, cause like i said i was looking for one in the same price range for a similar sized small boat anyways. thanks again,

-Jesse

Just thought I'd say that I've turned on the fishfinder a few times to see if it still has any battery life. The fishfinder always says it still has 10.4 volts of energy left, which means the AA batteries I'm using aren't like the Enercell I had, which died on its own even if I didn't use it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: