CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: Need Fish Finder Recomendations Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Need Fish Finder Recomendations Reply with quote

I'm starting to look into selling my current Humminbird 160 and the 12V battery I use for it and replace both with a portable or wireless fish finder that does not require a large battery.

It would be used in fresh and saltwater from a kayak with no motor.

As for price, if I were to get close to $100 for the current Humminbird and battery, I'd be willing to spend an extra $100 for something reliable, making that anywhere from $100 to about $250 in spending.

Recommendations would be helpful.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm partial to Humminbird fish finders. If you'd like a color display, temperature and GPS, Humminbird just came out with the PiranhaMAX 196ci, which is also sold bundled with a carrying case as the PiranhaMAX 196ci Portable:

http://store.humminbird.com/products/604336/PiranhaMAX_196ci
http://store.humminbird.com/products/604335/PiranhaMAX_196ci_Portable

You can find the non-bundled unit for $200 or less. It's so new that Cabela's still doesn't have them in the store, although you can get them online.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw on the specs for the 196 that it requires 10-20 VDC which means I'd need a 12 volt even though I already have one.

Issues with the battery include protection, wire connection, and grip. Wire connection means the wires that came installed with the vessel and 160 don't fit onto the battery where you connect the 2.
fish4fun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched from a 12v to 8 rechargable AA batteries, and my hummingbird pirahna is pretty portable. I average about 5 or 6 trips between charges. You can get a battery holder and snap connectors from Radio Shack for a few bucks. I pack it into an air tight food keeper from odd lot which I notched a small groove in so wires could pass freely.Never any water issues.

I put a cup of water inside the hull for the transducer to shoot thru, drop the battery box nearby, and I'm all set. Been using this set-up for at least 5 years, and can't kill it.
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent F4F
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

That's a great idea ! Thumbs Up

Will check my local Radio Shack for components.

SeaDog1
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local Radio Shack didn't have any battery holders. The sales person said to look on the store's site.
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purchased a new battery holder for 8 AA that comes with 2 6" wires already attached. Got it for $3.04 with free shipping on Ebay. Size is a bit smaller than 3" x 3" x 2".

Genna (gkolyagin) recommended to me what I should use as a pouch or case for the battery holder. He said a tupperwear container with rubber gasket between the batteries and the lid. Already have the container at home for that would fit the size of the battery holder I purchased. Purchased a single 6" x 4" rubber gasket sponge for $3.29 with free shipping on Ebay.

What I also considered was velcro sticky strips for grip on the vessel now that I'll have something lighter. Purchase 2 sets of small sticky strips. 1 will be attached to a safe area on the vessel and the other will be attached to the tupperwear container.

The salesperson at Radio Shack recommended I get the rechargeable Duracell batteries because they last long and charge quickly.
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished on Amazon. For a total of $27.18 with free shipping, purchased a Duracell CEF14 Charger pack and a 4 pack of Duracell rechargeable AA.

The charger pack comes with 4 Duracell rechargeable AA and the 4 pack comes with a duralock.

On Ebay, the cheapest price for a CEF14 was $9.99 with free shipping but was used and didn't come with the rechargeable batteries so I went the smart way.
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I ordered supplies for the fishfinder, I'm looking at certain fishfinders and found 4 interesting. If I wanted good pixel quality, easy to use, no errors with reading water, and good water coverage, which one should I go with?

Lowrance X-4 Pro
Humminbird PiranhaMax 165
Lowrance Mark 5-X
PiranhaMax 175
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael,

Did a lot of research on FF's to replace my Vexilar battery operated portable (No longer made)

I choose the ..... Garmin echo 300c.

It's a color FF, easy to use, and is dual beam with an internal flasher program. SWEET !

Check it out.

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDog1 wrote:
Hi Michael,

Did a lot of research on FF's to replace my Vexilar battery operated portable (No longer made)

I choose the ..... Garmin echo 300c.

It's a color FF, easy to use, and is dual beam with an internal flasher program. SWEET !

Check it out.

SeaDog1 Mr. Green

Looks like good quality and high tech for your money. I'll consider it.
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got off the phone with a customer service rep from Bass Pro Shops. Asked him if he was knowledgeable about comparing fishfinders and he asked me which ones I was looking at.

Told him what I would be using it for and if it was easy to use without too much menu variety. Also something water proof and good price for quality.

Lowrance X-4 Pro is what I'm going with. Nice thing is like others, simple to use, reads bottom well, and is water proof. Differences between the X-4 Pro and the other 3 I mentioned were depth range, pixel quality, fish size, price, and vessel usage.

Lowrance products are good for kayak fishermen. The X-4 Pro is the second cheapest one at $95 + $5.87 shipping on Amazon. Other products have more depth coverage when all I need is a max of 40 to 60 feet. The Mark 5-X has better pixel quality than the X-4 Pro, but the Pro still has good readings. The X-4 Pro has a special menu option for reading just the big fish or any fish.
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About a week ago I got my fishfinder in the mail. Hit it for a good deal with an auction listing on Ebay.

Highest bid was $90 and shipping cost on the listing was $9.98. I won the auction for a brand new X-4 Pro. The closest bid to my highest was $80 meaning the total was $81 + shipping!

Got the Lowrance installed on my yak and charged all batteries with the Duracell charger and got the fishfinder working!

I'm ready to start marking those trout in April and nice bass and calicoes in May! Can't wait to see those balls of silversides, sand eels, and peanuts appearing on the screen too!
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F4F,

Something I'd like to know about the Duracells is if they stay charged while not using them or if they die on their own like your average 12 volt?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: