CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: New guy here and a question of concern?? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldeFriend

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: New guy here and a question of concern?? Reply with quote

Found your site the other day. Quite a wealth of information.
IMHO way too much information,
Why are some of you guys naming specific pools and worse yet posting maps of where you caught what??
This type of stuff is what ruins fisheries and gives up your own secret spots.
There isn't much of the Farmington River I haven't fished, it doesn't need this type of reckless promotion.

Concerned,

Olde Friend
regl
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I appreciate your concern, but we have different views on the subject.

We encourage users to be as specific as possible and not use the "Lake X" reports here. Unless the spot is private, there is no reason other fisherman can not fish areas where others are having success.

I hope you enjoy our forums and welcome to the site.

Reggie
Admin
Bass Sniper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to disagree with you sir. I believe that if you are the type of fisherman that would seek a forum for trading tips and reports and stories about fishing and also happen to do an awful lot of fishing, then maybe you'll check out some place you heard about on here once or twice but you tend to have your own favorite spots that you stick too. If you have noticed a lot more fishermen out at your favorite spots I could see your concern but it seems to me as though this type of thing is a surprise to you and comes out of left field leading me to believe there is no huge increase in fishermen in any particular place. I dont know if anything I just wrote made sense but i certainly hope it helped you see that just because somebody says hey i caught a couple fish here or there doesnt mean a million people are going to pick up a pole and start fishing in those spots.....Because really, I once caught a fish THIS BIG and....well you get the point.....
On twenty-pound test "
RobO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Lurker? Reply with quote

Olde Friend,

I assume you have probably read one of my posts about the Farmington River.

I enjoy fishing and enjoy posting about my outings and what I have learned... Until recently I did not know where to fish on the Farmington River. I was fishing in unsuccessful locations and really didn't know too much about how to fish with success in the Farmington.

I was fortunate enough to find this website at a point in my life that when there was a lot of dust on my equipment. Since I joined up I have learned a tremendous amount about the FR and different styles on how to fish it. Had I not found this site, I can honestly tell you I would not be fishing as much as I am today. I have met a couple of great guys from here and shared stories and techniques. I have met guys who enjoy the sport as much as I. Sometimes a guy will even share where he was fishing. Since joining this site I have found my love for fishing again.

I recently posted about the Hogback Dam pool. It was my first time there. I found the area hard to fish due to strong currents and slippery rocks and a poor access. However I did catch fish there. Hopefully my post will help others be prepared incase they do decide to fish it. Hell I wish I had read a post about it before I went there. I might have just skipped it all together or brought along a wading stick. I fished with worms... Shocker.

Do I have a favorite spots? You bet....Do I write about them each week and give away those spots... No. However, the Farmington River is very large with a number of great pools. These pools are easy to locate and you can find a ton of information on them if you know where to look online. So am I really giving away secrets and ruining spots...no.

Just because a member posts where they fish or shows a map of the location does not mean I am going to run out and fish it. It is however a piece of information that will help me become a better fisherman. I agree with Bass Sniper.

I mostly fish for trout, but I am interested in saltwater fishing and shell fishing.
I come here to learn about that and share my experiences for other to learn. Without people sharing information, then what would this site be all about?

Question for you Olde Friend... Why did you join this site? What are your intentions? Will you be someone who posts good information and shares with other fisherman or are you here to lurk and learn from others but not share your own knowledge?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bass Sniper wrote:
I tend to disagree with you sir. I believe that if you are the type of fisherman that would seek a forum for trading tips and reports and stories about fishing and also happen to do an awful lot of fishing, then maybe you'll check out some place you heard about on here once or twice but you tend to have your own favorite spots that you stick too. If you have noticed a lot more fishermen out at your favorite spots I could see your concern but it seems to me as though this type of thing is a surprise to you and comes out of left field leading me to believe there is no huge increase in fishermen in any particular place. I dont know if anything I just wrote made sense but i certainly hope it helped you see that just because somebody says hey i caught a couple fish here or there doesnt mean a million people are going to pick up a pole and start fishing in those spots.....Because really, I once caught a fish THIS BIG and....well you get the point.....

WELL DONE and WELL SAID Bass Sniper!
Also WELL SAID RobO!

Best regards,
SeaDog1
Stratos17

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most guys on here will give up a spot,location,map whatever. There are a ton of youngsters that read here. I am all for it. I love to see young people fishing and hunting!!

Where is "PDCRACK" When you need him...LOL

Seriously OLDEFRIEND Enjoy the site!! Tons of really cool people here. What ruins the fisheries are non-sportsmen, litterbugs etc... You wont find anyone on this site like that.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stratos 17!

Dam! All you guys on this forum are really making me feel PROUD of YOU!
This is what True Sportsmanship is all about!

OldFriend -> If you feel you cannot or are unable to participate as we members do on this "Sportsman/women" forum -> Then I politely recommend you LEAVE!

SeaDog1
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said guys!!
Fishface

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read some really great stuff just now. I feel that it would be selfish of me not to share. I feel that some are takers and some are givers. Besides just because I go to a spot does not mean I am automatically a fish catching machine. I still have to put the work in. Last I remember it still called fishing not catching.

Tim
slimecoat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys all ROCK!!

This is why this site is so successful, guys and gals willing to share information to help other fisherman enjoy their time on the water thus helping promote our sport.

I to am proud that we still hold our morals strong. I will always share as much information as I can.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree..just beacuse you have a "spot" u still have to know how to fish it..cant tell you how many times tralli and i were fishing around 5,6,7 other boats and we were the only one catching fish. I belive thisn site was started due to BS on another fishing site..reports of "lake x" cathes did nothing to inform only to bragg...this is a site of people who truly love fishing and want to help others. If that is not for you then perhpas you shouldnt be on here...just a suggestion.
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what everyone is talking about because I came from the "other" forum being fed up with all those Lake X reports which does nothing but boost the egos of all those posters. Seeing responses like this makes me feel proud to be part of this fourm! Great job everyone!! Very Happy

Jim
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldeFriend - I feel like "recklessly promoting" the Farmington River like crazy right now - what segment of it do you own, specifically?

I'll tell anyone where I go or catch my fish...doesn't mean they're great fish, that they'll stay in the same spot, or that you'll even be able to access my spot, but it doesn't even matter...different presentation, different conditions, different day...that's NOT top-secret info. I've fished with some supercool people from this site (both planned trips & unplanned meetings.) Turns out just about everyone here except you has the same goals (have fun/catch fish/avoid work.) Running into members of this site while you're fishing isn't a bad thing, although I will not hesitate to put a jig in your forehead if you're in my territory longer than necessary/within casting distance. When I post a river report later this week, I hope you'll take the opportunity to elaborate on how I'm somehow responsible for ruining a fishery.

If someone's in your "spot" then you should have left home earlier. It's not your spot if you didn't get there first.

Hey everyone...have you heard about this place called the Farmington River? It holds FISH!

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
RobO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Watch out for flying jigs! Reply with quote

LMFAO.. Turtle Kiss thanks for the comment about a jig in the forehead. It made me chuckle out loud. I didn't see that one coming. It made my day!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Watch out for flying jigs! Reply with quote

RobO wrote:
LMFAO.. Turtle Kiss thanks for the comment about a jig in the forehead. It made me chuckle out loud. I didn't see that one coming. It made my day!

I can't help it if the bass like your trout hole.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: