CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater Reports
Viewing Topic: New Personal Best CT Keeper Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only other striper bigger than this one that I've caught was 44" weighing a good 25 to 30 pounds. That was caught with a Mambo Minnow at Cutty Hunk Island.
aleman007z

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: NICE STRIPER! Reply with quote

I don't want to ask where the striper spot is. BUT, what dictates a good striper fishing spot? Any striper i have caught over the years has been pure luck. --- I'm so tired of being a chuncker!!
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: NICE STRIPER! Reply with quote

aleman007z wrote:
I don't want to ask where the striper spot is. BUT, what dictates a good striper fishing spot? Any striper i have caught over the years has been pure luck. --- I'm so tired of being a chuncker!!

Here's an article to check out. http://www.onthewater.com/how-to-fish-rips-and-shoals/#.Uhu_11dFeg8.blogger. I'd highly recommend subscribing to something like OTW or The Fisherman. Stripers tend to wait for prey to come to them, especially the bigger ones. They hang in the eddies around points, boulderfields, rip lines, etc. Look for places bait is likely to get pushed by the tides, such as up against jetties. Are you fishing on land or boat? Are you willing to travel the coastline? In the spring on the rivers, just look for the schools of herring. Many serious surfcasters spend nights moving up and down the coast. I've started an afternoon in Saybrook and finished the next morning in RI. There are lots of different ways to chase stripers. Read up, and then get out there and fish!
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: NICE STRIPER! Reply with quote

aleman007z wrote:

Here's an article to check out. http://www.onthewater.com/how-to-fish-rips-and-shoals/#.Uhu_11dFeg8.blogger. I'd highly recommend subscribing to something like OTW or The Fisherman. Stripers tend to wait for prey to come to them, especially the bigger ones. They hang in the eddies around points, boulderfields, rip lines, etc. Look for places bait is likely to get pushed by the tides, such as up against jetties. Are you fishing on land or boat? Are you willing to travel the coastline? In the spring on the rivers, just look for the schools of herring. Many serious surfcasters spend nights moving up and down the coast. I've started an afternoon in Saybrook and finished the next morning in RI. There are lots of different ways to chase stripers. Read up, and then get out there and fish!
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best thing to do is go into a tackle shop and spend a few bucks and ask questions. Bridgeport has a few good striper spots but it's still a little too early to fish for them

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Yeah. The run is in Delaware right now, but they're slowly making their way up...
Eyeball

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just reading the responses to this thread and it blows me away. How do people in ct think there is a striper shortage? You can catch them all summer long on any reef, bump, hump or river all summer long and rivers in the winter. The rivers are Infested with them that's why dep allows you to take shorts in the ct river because they are EATING ALL THE HERRING!!!!! There are so many of them. We kill them all summer long 40 Inchers are the normal with a unbeliavable amount in the 30s I mean are people that blind? Or just really that bad at fishing? I know everyone has to start somewhere to get into the sport but come on to say ct striper population is on the downfall is rediculous and you don't know what your talking about IMHO!!! Sorry to sound rude on my first post but just truly stunned at how people bash the striper population when they are stuck on land fishing there couple spots don't make comments about somthing unless you have facts about the entire states fishery and my facts are bent rods all spring summer and winter!!!! With a closed herring fishery with TO MANY STRIPERS BEING A BIG REASON!!!
Sorry for the spelling using the phone
Good luck
fishfinder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eyeball wrote:
I was just reading the responses to this thread and it blows me away. How do people in ct think there is a striper shortage? You can catch them all summer long on any reef, bump, hump or river all summer long and rivers in the winter. The rivers are Infested with them that's why dep allows you to take shorts in the ct river because they are EATING ALL THE HERRING!!!!! There are so many of them. We kill them all summer long 40 Inchers are the normal with a unbeliavable amount in the 30s I mean are people that blind? Or just really that bad at fishing? I know everyone has to start somewhere to get into the sport but come on to say ct striper population is on the downfall is rediculous and you don't know what your talking about IMHO!!! Sorry to sound rude on my first post but just truly stunned at how people bash the striper population when they are stuck on land fishing there couple spots don't make comments about somthing unless you have facts about the entire states fishery and my facts are bent rods all spring summer and winter!!!! With a closed herring fishery with TO MANY STRIPERS BEING A BIG REASON!!!
Sorry for the spelling using the phone
Good luck

You really are clueless arent you!!!!!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Eyeball

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! Lol hahaha

Ya I'm clueless I just catch hundreds of stripers all year long including tons of pelagic species how many 1000# bluefin have you caught? How many 40 and 50# stripers have you caught in the last couple years? The new state record was just caught in recent years with multiple 60-70# stripers in CT. But I'm clueless. How many parts of the state do you fish? I fish every day of the summer from new haven to RI and see first hand what's goin on out there you don't know me guy and you don't know how I fish keep your BS crying about there being no stripers to yourself or show the facts how many stripers have you tagged or pulled off tags from bass? It's just unreal how some young kid that has a tuff time getting around gets bashed for killing a bass come on guy lets hear your facts I would love to.do you fish from a boat? Or you just a surfcaster? Do you have a comm. liscence or just a rec guy that thinks there are no bass because your 2 year old bunker chunk doesn't get eaten lol you should try fishing live bait at the reefs then tell me there are no stripers I'm sure you know all about the live bait bite near Clinton or the buck tailing at the race? Or do you troll wire? Snapping buck tails? Or do you pull red tubes around the rivers? Lets hear it guy I want your personal facts tuff guy!!! I told you mine is a bent rod all year long!!! But hey Im clueless or I guess just lucky lol
regl
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's keep it civil gents.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eyeball wrote:
There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! Lol hahaha

Ya I'm clueless I just catch hundreds of stripers all year long including tons of pelagic species how many 1000# bluefin have you caught? How many 40 and 50# stripers have you caught in the last couple years? The new state record was just caught in recent years with multiple 60-70# stripers in CT. But I'm clueless. How many parts of the state do you fish? I fish every day of the summer from new haven to RI and see first hand what's goin on out there you don't know me guy and you don't know how I fish keep your BS crying about there being no stripers to yourself or show the facts how many stripers have you tagged or pulled off tags from bass? It's just unreal how some young kid that has a tuff time getting around gets bashed for killing a bass come on guy lets hear your facts I would love to.do you fish from a boat? Or you just a surfcaster? Do you have a comm. liscence or just a rec guy that thinks there are no bass because your 2 year old bunker chunk doesn't get eaten lol you should try fishing live bait at the reefs then tell me there are no stripers I'm sure you know all about the live bait bite near Clinton or the buck tailing at the race? Or do you troll wire? Snapping buck tails? Or do you pull red tubes around the rivers? Lets hear it guy I want your personal facts tuff guy!!! I told you mine is a bent rod all year long!!! But hey Im clueless or I guess just lucky lol

Eyeball,
If you're going to attack people for not showing you the facts, how about USING SOME FACTS instead of a bunch of anecdotal stories. Not interested in comparing d*ck sizes with you, but if you want to argue with evidence, start with real evidence. The ASMFC report is available online at http://www.asmfc.org/species/atlantic-striped-bass.

" Projections of female SSB and fishing mortality suggest if the current fishing mortality rate (0.20) is maintained during 2013-2017, the probability of the stock being overfished (SSB less than the SSB threshold) is high and increases until 2015-2016, but declines thereafter. This trend is driven by the lack of strong year classes currently in the fishery, and the emergence of the strong 2011 year class that matures into the spawning stock in three to four years. Despite recent declines in SSB, the stock is still well above the SSB during the moratorium that was in place in the mid-1980s."
The study data is at http://www.asmfc.org/uploads/file/AtlStripedBass2013AssessmentUpdate.pdf.

There are several studies that challenge some of the ASMCF projections, but I'm not arguing for or against your point. Just don't bash other people for presenting no facts and then follow up with much the same.
Eyeball

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the stock is still well above the SSB during the moratorium that was in place in the mid-1980s."

That's the bottom line to the link you posted not what could happen but what is happening right now. My facts are fishing everyday in are waters and what I have seen in 30 years of fishing these waters. I could post many links just like you said saying that the stripers are healthy but I'm not going off of what other people say alot of tree huggers out there that want no striper fishing to happen and will post all sorts of BS that people buy into my facts are me going out and destroying stripers day and night all summer long. Not what some group of people that come up with numbers and they don't even fish. As far as the bashing telling a young kid that has to take the bus to get to the fishing grounds and works his ass off to get a few casts in not to take a striper home because the population is falling is obserd and disgusting I was that kid at one point and now lucky to fish on some of the nicest boats and best captains on the east coast. Trust this was a one thread posting for me on this forum there are a couple people on this forum who know what's goin on but not many IMHO I joined just because I couldn't believe how on a report from a couple days ago these guys caught 50-100 LOCAL I REPEAT LOCAL stripers In a couple hours not the 1000s of stripers that run up the coast then the next post I read a young kid is getting bashed for keeping 1 bass come on people but hey like I said me and the people I fish with must have a rabbits foot up our ass lol remember I'm clueless
If you have a tuff time catching stripers in ct do yourself a favor take a well known charter in your area and learn how they do it don't make assumptions off of what the Internet or media tells ya go experience it for yourself and discuss your real life fishing trips that's how the truth comes out not posting links to what "could" happen if the rec. guys keep there couple fish.
Yes I release all my stripers but Americans have rights for crying out loud if he wants a fish for dinner enjoy kid don't let a tree hugger tell you other wise!!!!
fishfinder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of coarse you catch fish. You park your boat on top of a school using a fishfinder LOL. Im not saying we are in desperate trouble right now but we will be if we keep going the way we are now. I catch plenty of fish myself thanks, that doesnt mean there are millions out there, it means I know the places where they winter over or frequent when they come in!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
ctsalt12

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eyeball, no one is going to argue there is a shortage of bass in the reefs of eastern CT where you fish. It's one of the best striper fishing areas, period. It's a clear point in the migration of stripers up the coastline, they can't miss it. It a convergence of two huge bodies of water with extreme currents and has long been, and always will be, one of the best (and also easiest) places to catch big bass. No one is going to argue that charter boats and party boats don't catch tons of bass either. They are fishing structure that has caught fish for decades, and spots that have been used and passed down to captains year after year. Today's technology certainly helps too.

You say you fish all over the place, but really your experience is quite limited to one of the best striper grounds anywhere, eastern CT into RI. Of course things look good from your point of view.

However in other parts of the state, and up and down the coastline, things don't look so great. Most guides and old time fisherman in Western CT would agree with me. Part of it's overfishing, part of it's pollution. Another issue is that the bait is dissappearing. Sure herring is making a comeback in certain areas. Bunker have really been hurting though, and I have noticed they're making much less of a presence inshore, in the rivers of Western CT. Part of it is that there's a lot of illegal gill netting going on late at night in these rivers.

I'm not going to get mad at anyone for keeping a bass here and there, but I certainly have noticed a big decrease in bait and gamefish in my neck of the woods, particularly inshore. Bass and also blues. And it's alarming, and I'm concerned. I think a lot of fisherman on here agree with me.
So just take a step back and realize you're fortunate to fish in some of the best striper grounds ANYWHERE, and your experience is really not that diverse at all.
dunkercrusher28

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: agree with CTsalt12 Reply with quote

totally agree with CTsalt12 - i fish western sound my whole life and have noticed the same thing. eyeball i hope you learn to calm your tone down over there - what goes around comes around and you're going to find yourself with a snapped rod or bluefish chomping on your nuts if you keep talking down to people, loser.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: