CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » New Member Section
Viewing Topic: noobie from cromwell/middletown/berlin area! Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JesseC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for clarifying that for me PECo, much appreciated! Very Happy
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I can help you here as I'm a Semi-retired Captain US Merchant Marine.

Flat bottom boats such a jon-boats are very stable in calm waters because of the wide surface plane they present. (Great for waters such as ponds, lakes, and calm rivers.)

Narrow boats such as canoes and kayaks require that you sit or kneel in them so as to keep a low center of gravity in them to maintain a certain level of stability.

V hull vessels are better suited for big waters or open ocean waters.
This is because of the waves and swells you would encounter and will ride easier and can more easily manuver in such waters without capsizing.

Flat bottom boats are notorious for hard riding in rough waters having waves and swells and narrow boats do not do well in same said waters either -> plus they have various limitations for the number of persons or gear they can carry per their lenght and beam.

NOTE: There are a number of well designed boats in the 14-18 ft range that incoporate the best of flat bottom and V hull vessels.
What you seem to be looking for (per your usage description) is a multi-purpose vessel that is good for ponds, lakes and Long Island Sound (Not open Ocean -> That requires specifically a Deep V type vessel).
Suggest you look at multi-purpose vessels such as Lunds, Viking, Starcraft, etc.
With the economy the way it is -> there are many many boats for sale -> Check ebay, craigs-list, and other internet search engines -> You just may come across the right boat and at a great deal !

I'm also a professional vessel surveyor for ships and small crafts !
I will not charge you anything for my services ! - and will help you in your search.
If you find a vessel that interests you -> Let me know and I'll give you an honest assesment of it.

Best regards,
SeaDog1 Mr. Green
JesseC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks alot for the response SeaDog! The info is very helpful Very Happy i'll be getting in touch with you for sure when I find something that catches my eye!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> New Member Section All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: