CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » New Member Section
Viewing Topic: noobie from cromwell/middletown/berlin area! Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JesseC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: noobie from cromwell/middletown/berlin area! Reply with quote

Hi everyone! New member here, glad to be part of the forum! My name is Jesse, i'm 23 years old out of Cromwell and I am certainly no expert on fishing, but I truly love the sport! I just started out fishing this past summer and i'm already hooked! i'm also planning on investing in a boat this spring so I can get out on the water as much as possible, as I've just been limited to shore/ice thus far. I usually fish every other day at pretty much any body of water I can find within or around Middlesex county, but I haven't had much luck at all with any fish lately since the beginning of winter Sad . I've been dying to catch just about anything at this point Shocked !

Look forward to meeting you all and learning as much as I can and hopefully land some big fish!

Last edited by JesseC on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
JimiChanga

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard man.

Over on Nooks Hill RD. try that little pond (New Pond) right before the old railroad trestle. You'd be suprised at what lives in that little place.

Back inthe 80's at the end of Nooks Hill road there used to be a trailer campsite on the CT river caught all kinds of fish there.

John.
JesseC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the info John, much appreciated! honestly I didn't even know that pond was over there until you mentioned it and ive lived in Cromwell my whole life Shocked ! I think I might try it out tomorrow Smile.. As far as the end of nooks hill rd goes, if I remember correctly there was a gate blocking the dirt road to the river last time I was on that side of town, not sure if its private property or not Confused but i'll have to check that area out as well.

Last edited by JesseC on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site Jesse!

Keep up with the reports and study them so you know what the fish are hitting and the special patterns.

BTW- I like your avatar with the "arh arh fish"
JesseC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Michael! I had a blast catching those sea robins this past summer down at meigs point! Honestly I was quite startled when I first caught one of them, having no idea that a fish could "croak" like that! Surprised lol
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find them a fun fish on light tackle. We've been having thick runs these past few summers.

Ever eaten their tail before? I've tried it but wasn't too fond of it even though I love the fishy flavor of bluefish. Some other people do eat it.

Ever been able to hold it by the mouth?
JesseC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried the tail but i'd be willing to give it a shot the next time I snag one of these guys for sure. I've never grabbed one by the mouth myself because a friend of mine gave it try before I got the chance lol, needless to say he got spiked by some sharp little spines that caused quite a bit of swelling and bleeding Shocked

Altho another fisherman there asked me if he could have all of the robins I caught since I was just releasing them anyways and to my amazement this guy gutted every single one of these fish with his bare hands Shocked !
Rather B. Fishin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. Nice ink by the way.
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard ...

If its your first boat your getting you will need a safeboaters cert. got to make the state happy ya know ...
http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?A=2686&Q=384522
heres the info on the rules for ya just incase you wernt up on the regs.
theres lots of places to take the course ..from a multi week free couse from the power squadron to a 1 day pay course from cabelas ..you can also get a 90 pass for new boaters from dep so you can run the boat while takeing classes.
hope to see ya out there soon Thumbs Up

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWDarkcloud wrote:
If its your first boat your getting you will need a safeboaters cert. got to make the state happy ya know ...

Well, unless he gets a manually powered rowboat, canoe or kayak. . . .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome and boating info guys! I actually just got the Certificate of Personal Watercraft Operation recently Laughing took a few week course at a local school.

As far as a boat goes I was thinking something like this suits my needs http://westernmass.craigslist.org/boa/3471734447.html

either that or something similar. I really like the john boats and I don't think I need something longer than 12'. I also wanted something that was pretty sturdy on the water and doesn't tip easily so I thought one of those would be best.

This will be my first boat so any tips and info will be much appreciated Wink !
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JesseC wrote:
This will be my first boat so any tips and info will be much appreciated Wink !

Get a bigger boat. . . with a bigger motor! Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site. Looking for a boat is always fun! Sounds like you fish a bit of both fresh and salt water. John boats are good for lakes and the river. I'd get a bit bigger than 12' if possible, especially if you want a partner to come along. I just sold a 14' deep-V aluminum, which had the advantage of being able to run around in the sound in the spring and summer when the weather was nice. Look around and ask questions. Lots of guys on here with different fishing backgrounds and types of boats. All would be happy to chip in with their views on advantages/disadvantages. NWDarkcloud is a good source for engine info. Someone else on here is also an engine mechanic, but I can't remember which one of you guys it is. Question

Tight Lines
RNA
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
JesseC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again for the tips guys! and yes I do like to fish a bit of both fresh and saltwater, and I would definitely want something that could fit a friend and handle going out on the sound as well. i'll take your advice and start looking around for something a bit longer than 12'.

I was also curious, what kind of hull should I be looking for? I read online that the flat bottomed hulls like on the john boats are the most sturdy in the water, but would that be ok for the sound too? or should I be looking for one of those v-shaped hulls?
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JesseC wrote:
thanks again for the tips guys! and yes I do like to fish a bit of both fresh and saltwater, and I would definitely want something that could fit a friend and handle going out on the sound as well. i'll take your advice and start looking around for something a bit longer than 12'.

I was also curious, what kind of hull should I be looking for? I read online that the flat bottomed hulls like on the john boats are the most sturdy in the water, but would that be ok for the sound too? or should I be looking for one of those v-shaped hulls?

If you're thinking of heading into the Sound, you need a V-hulled boat. Check this one out:

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/boa/3552531563.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> New Member Section All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: