CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Pike Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave_376

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea that cutting the tail off so it bleeds is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I still can't believe they saw that on TV fishing shows, as if cutting off a little piece of skin is going to equal the damage you get from putting a hook through the fish. and the statement that they swim more distressed also BS. I have a pet turtle we feed live fish to, when the turtle is chasing them down he ends up with only the fin and they still swim really good. The hook and the line is way more effective at making the fish looked distressed and swimming erratic.

just get some big hooks big bobbers and some big bait cast on weed edges or pockets and wait....same technique we use for bowfin on champlain

also stay away from braid on the hook, those teeth will cut it like a razor, mono flouro or wire.
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave_376 wrote:
The idea that cutting the tail off so it bleeds is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I still can't believe they saw that on TV fishing shows, as if cutting off a little piece of skin is going to equal the damage you get from putting a hook through the fish. and the statement that they swim more distressed also BS. I have a pet turtle we feed live fish to, when the turtle is chasing them down he ends up with only the fin and they still swim really good. The hook and the line is way more effective at making the fish looked distressed and swimming erratic.

just get some big hooks big bobbers and some big bait cast on weed edges or pockets and wait....same technique we use for bowfin on champlain

also stay away from braid on the hook, those teeth will cut it like a razor, mono flouro or wire.

Are bowfin active in fall? I may need to visit Scovil Res again. I didn't know what to feed them...they didn't want haddock though (it's all I had in my freezer that I didn't mind parting with...they aren't getting my sirloin!)

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
dave_376

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bowfin are mean...anything live and swimming will work. in champlain we catch perch, rock bass, or bluegills and use them below a bobber with a big hook 7/0 and a wire leader.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave_376 wrote:

Hi dave!

Hmmmmmm?
Your statement above is the biggest bunch of Hooooie I've ever heard!
Let's cut off your little toe so it bleeds and your hobbling bare footed thru the woods.
I do think some predator would get the message and scent that there's an injured animal out there for the taking!!!!!!!
WOLVES come to mind!
WATER WOLVES (Pike) would act the same way -> I do know Sharks and Barracuda do Exclamation

Fishermen (Fresh and Salt) have known this method for decades and "IT WORKS" with great sucess!!!!
Blood and distressed action attracts predators!
Why do you think lure manufactures produce lures that wiggle, jiggle, splash and act in distressful manners and also use paint, red hooks, etc. to imitate blood!
Even the techniques, you fish just about all lures, is to imitate distressful action.

Again your statements are utterly ridiculous!
Need for you to go back to class and retake "Fishing 101"! Laughing Laughing

SeaDog1
dave_376

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you cut the tail and just released the fish you might have a point.....but there is a big hook in the fish and a line attached to a bobber. have you ever watched the shiner swim below a bobber...that is distressed and erratic....cutting the fin is like cutting your nail a little short at best.

ps i suppose the only plastic bait tat works i power bait since they are scented
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dave!

Yeah! I wrote that about how I fish a big Goldie under a bobber (or ice) for Pike!

As for sniping off the lower tail fin -> Causes the Goldie to swim even more eradictly and fins have blood vessels in them so it bleeds and adds scent into the water!

Fresh cut bait does the exact same thing except for action which you or water movement have to give it!

This is one "if not the oldest" method of fishing!
AND -> IT WORKS!!!!!!!

SeaDog1
dave_376

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to have a pissing contest over this...but come on citting the fin vs. a hook in the fish.....a major wound vs. a tiny cut on a fin that every fish does to themselves when they spawn, if it really effected them they wouldn't destroy their fins spawning.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dave!

I agree! -> Not here to start a contest.

When I say snip the lower lobe of the tail fin I mean snip the entire lower lobe off, not just a tiny finger nail sliver.
The bait fish has to lose its ability to swim properly. (Thus out of balance, in serious distress, and sending out those distress signals that predators key in on! -> and bleeds scent into the water -> That is what fresh cut bait does -> add serious scent out!).
Yes! A bait fish hooked thru the back, tail, or lips will be in distress but not anywhere as much as one that can't maintain its normal swiming attitude.
It's like asking you to walk normally with 1 foot missing -> Can't do it!!!!

Phil, DD, JS, Kira and SJ know that when they throw senkos, crazy rigged worms or other lures and make it jig, jump, and swim in an eradict manner that their simulating something that is injured and can't maintain a normal swiming attitude thus making it look like easy prey to eat. Scent is just putting the steak sauce on!!

Next time you go out for Pike -> Try this old timers trick!, and I do know you will be surprised and pleased by the results you get!

Best regards,
SeaDog1
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only used (accidentally-caught) 3" - 6" panfish for bait a handful of times. How long should a live-lined sunnie last anyway? I only get about 10 minutes (hooked behind the dorsal fin.) I agree that the presence of blood is an attractant, but obviously a baitfish will die faster if it's losing blood quickly or if it can't get enough oxygen. I'd rather use artificial lures for bass if my bait is only going to live for 10 minutes, but I'll definitely try them again if there's pike or bowfin in the area.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kira!

Live bait depends on how hardy it is!

I've used store bought minnows (farm raised) that last only a few minutes. Confused

The wild Goldies I catch and use, from my next door neighbors pond, are very hardy! Smile
And your correct that the amount of oxygen in waters fished will extend or diminish the time the bait stays alive.
(Warm water less time - Cold water longer time because it holds more oxygen)
Also "how" you have hooked the bait is critical as to how long it stays alive.

That 38 inch Pike I caught and posted pictures of earlier in the year was caught on a live Goldie!
Had it hooked lightly just under the dorsal fin under a bobber and in the water close to an hour before that Pike took it. And yes! Lower tail fin sniped off.

There are all kinds of ways to fish live bait.
Always fun to try different methods and see what works best for you at different times of the year!
The method I've decribed, works best for me and produces good results! Very Happy

Best regards,
SeaDog1
Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone needs to stop talking about live bait for pike because live bait sucks when it comes to catching monsters. Why is a big pike going to waste energy chasing a 12 inch golden shiner or sucker when it can just eat a dead yellow perch like this one did this winter...

Oh and I cut the belly open just to let the organs hang out on my baits. The bigger the dead bait the bigger the pike.
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG

SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BT!

Now - Now BT -> Be Nice! -> We all know Pike are scavengers and will take dead bait also.
Everyone has their own method of fishing for them.
One isn't better over another.
Last ice season the 2 fishermen that caught record breakers up a Lake Onota, in Mass. used live bait (suckers I belive).

Bottom line is having fun and hopefully catch a Big One as you did!!!!!!!!
Great picture!!!!!!!
Your smile says it ALL!!!!!

Best regards,
SeaDog1

Last edited by SeaDog1 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TurtleKiss wrote:
OMG

Yes Kira!

The Big Ones like to come out to play under the ice! Thumbs Up

Plan to take up ice fishing??????? Very Happy
I can see you now chasing down flags or jigging for pan fish!!!! Laughing

SeaDog1
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDog1 wrote:
TurtleKiss wrote:
OMG

Yes Kira!

The Big Ones like to come out to play under the ice! Thumbs Up

Plan to take up ice fishing??????? Very Happy

SeaDog1

I'm definitely going to give it a shot this year. Feel free to invite me. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: