CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Pike Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bass Sniper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Pike Reply with quote

Gonna try for some Pike tomorrow morning, any suggestions?
On twenty-pound test "
Phish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go to Bantam. I'm no pike expert, but I caught one and some dude on the shore caught 2 and hooked up with another (two while Phil and I were within earshot) so they're there and they're eating. The guy on the shore was fishing in the cove behind deer island near the lot with the steamboat replica. He looked to be using live bait.
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Ditto Reply with quote

I vote for Bantam Lake, too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was thinking bantam as well....ok look for the report, thanks guys
On twenty-pound test "
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject: Well? Reply with quote

Hey, Bass Sniper, how'd your pike hunt go?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yea sorry forgot about the report....
Weeeeeeeeelllllllllll, Bantam is a beautiful lake i can say that much.....I didnt get skunked......but no pike.....but next time i go i know where im going for the pike and how to fish for them....I was using spoons and big inline spinners and some swim baits.....next time im going live bait.....the only thing i caught was a yellow perch and just as I was letting go of him i thought to myself "SHIT! I should have live lined him!"......all in all it was a great day on the lake even if i didnt get my pike......
On twenty-pound test "
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Phish and I were getting skunked by the largemouth bass and northern pike yesterday, the thought definitely crossed my mind that we should have put the perch we caught on big hooks and thrown them out to flail around underneath some bobbers. If we had something else to do on the boat while we waited for a strike (e.g., watching baseball, playing cards, drinking ice cold beer) we might have done it. Rolling Eyes

No, not really. I'm just kidding. Phish and I discussed using live or cut bait and neither of us is ready to give up the challenge of using only artificial bait.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i agree but thats how they are catching them....Ive had a bunch of Pike hits, most of them right next to the canoe, and I love the top water hits. Thre is nothing like it. If you think Bass top water is fun, wait till you get a pike to hit a jerkbait top water, its incredible/scares the shit out of you......but next time im goin with Pike shiners.....
On twenty-pound test "
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Maybe someday. . . . Reply with quote

Flipper swears by panfish as live bait. I have to admit that it's pretty cool seeing a big bobber wander with a pumpkinseed dragging it around, knowing that a northern pike might slam it at any moment. You might give them at try. And they're free; you just have to catch some.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't use a bobber and cut the top fin if you are going to live line one, a sunny might work better tho.

Justin
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BA!

Hmmmm? I tend to disagree.
I like to use a bobber and live fish a big Golden with the lower lobe of the tail fin nipped off so it bleeds a little.
As it moves around it leaves the scent of a blood trail which the Pike home in on!
"Old Timers Trick!" -> works well during ice fishing season!

SeaDog1
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of those tail-bleeding fallfish would probably work well, too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do use sunfish a lot for pike, but they are only good under a bobber. Can't troll or drift with them because they tend to turn onto their side when dragged. Yellow perch or golden shiners work well either way and for trolling-white suckers are the best bet I think. They have the right body shape and last quite a while. The problem is catching either suckers or shinners. Can't find a place to bag them quickly.
I have been getting my ass kicked for the last 2 months trying to find pike at other locations than my go to spot. I even went there this weekend and got skunked.
Bass Sniper - I have not been to Bantam yet this year and need one more lake to beat me up. Let me know if you are going and mabey we can hook up. No paddling required if you want to go on my boat. Been fishing a lot by myself. I'd like to get out there w/ somebody so we can try different things and better both our chances of finding the logs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will send PM shortly......
On twenty-pound test "
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipper wrote:
I do use sunfish a lot for pike, but they are only good under a bobber. Can't troll or drift with them because they tend to turn onto their side when dragged. Yellow perch or golden shiners work well either way and for trolling-white suckers are the best bet I think. They have the right body shape and last quite a while. The problem is catching either suckers or shinners. Can't find a place to bag them quickly.
I have been getting my ass kicked for the last 2 months trying to find pike at other locations than my go to spot. I even went there this weekend and got skunked.
Bass Sniper - I have not been to Bantam yet this year and need one more lake to beat me up. Let me know if you are going and mabey we can hook up. No paddling required if you want to go on my boat. Been fishing a lot by myself. I'd like to get out there w/ somebody so we can try different things and better both our chances of finding the logs.

I'll go. I'm still 100% pike-free.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: