CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: looking for some advice on fishing line......
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djmon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: looking for some advice on fishing line...... Reply with quote

all of last year i used trilene xl smooth cast for my reels. over the winter i have talked to a few people and read reviews on different lines and i don't know which is a good one to choose. i know it is mostly personal choice but i thought some feed back couldn't hurt. so just looking to see who uses what.
any thoughts? thanks, djm
dave_376

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

need more info. xl is good line but t depends on what you are using it for. for mono i use Suffix red pack for finesse and blue for cranking.
djmon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i currently have six poles for the season:

3 baitcasting, 3 spinning:

1 7ft heavy baitcasting for senkos mostly (may use 7in-10in powerworms)

1 7ft medium/heavy baitcasting for superflukes mostly (may use brush hogs)

1 6ft medium baitcasting for skitterwalks and other top water

1 7ft medium spinning for brush hogs, spinner baits, powerworms, ect

2 5ft 6in light spinning for trout lures, panfish

i have power pro i may put on the 7ft baitcasting poles, berkley fireline i may use on the 7ft spinning all backed with mono: while everything else will be mono only. 12-14lb on the topwater baitcasting, and 6-8 on the 5' 6" spinning
dave_376

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for mono i use suffix.
SenkoBandit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use floro on some and on the others I use mono Berkly Maxx.For me it depnds on what rod,what lure.Floro sinks so itend to use that on my deeper water lures.good luck Thumbs Up
Lundrunner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use alot of braided lines like Fireline. Florocarbon when I need the line to disappear.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flouro is sick on a spinning rod for finesse

I have the spare spools for my symmettre's so I have 8lb mono/8lb flouro on a 1500 and 10lb mono/12lb flouro on a 2500.

Dont trust the stuff for jig n pig/flippin.
stumpy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Gamma copolymer is a great all around line. you can get away with 6 or 8 lb test on spinning (6# has a rated breaking strength of 12lb test) and for your baitcasters you can get away with 14 lb test (breaking strength of 21lb i believe) unless your going to be using this line around alot of wood then i would bump it up to 17# test on your heavy rod just for the abrasion resistance. another option is a brand called triple fish. not as strong as gamma but a very good line and it takes a beating with that i would use 8 on spinning gear. dont get wrapped up in that whole braid thing unless your fishing frogs or you fish lilly pads alot. if you go with gamma you can buy 2 or 3 spools of line use backing on your reels and the 3 spools should last you all season 20-30.00 for 3 spools. take a little info from everyone and then it's all trial and error just because myself or others like a particular line doesnt mean youll like it. i posted on numerous sites about different lines asking the same questions you did and im just sticking with what ive been using.
good luck
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, you should be using a MH for senko! According to the RULES Smile

I throw them on a medium actualy.

Im just getting into this crap myself. Ive been using XL for years and found bad quality in many spools i just bought. Im deciding on a switch and having a tough time with it. I "KNOW" im going to copolymer, just which one is the problem.

Triplefish was recomended to me by the guy above Smile and i was told by another guy that 6lb and under in triplefish is no good. Pline was recomended in the lower lb classes

Vicious Line was recomended, well not actualy recomended, but an interested party expressed interest in trying it out.

Im very torn Sad

Tournament Force has bulk spools of triplefish listed on thier site for REALLY cheap prices. 19 bucks for a 1lb spool, which is 3000yrd - 6000yrds depending on pound line chosen!

I remember spending 40-45 bucks for 3,000yrd spools of XL couple years ago. That was a HIT and a HALF on the wallet!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For mono, which I no longer use much of except for on topwater. Most of the time I'll use a co-polymer where I used to use mono. I love Trilene XL especially on spinning reels. It has a good long casting capability. I've never had a problem with it breaking off or knot strength.

For most of my plastics I use a flurocarbon line or a flurocarbon copolymer line. I use only flurocarbon for crankbaits 8 & 10# test generally. I've tried all kinds of flurocarbon and still am not really satisfied with any for spinning reels. They all tend to spool off. Because of the cost I don't like changing it as often as you need to in order to minimize the memory. This year I've invested in a couple of bottles of KVD Line Conditioner to see if that will help. For this season I went back to the Vanish Transition mostly because of the coloring of the line, although it is also one of the cheapest dollar wise. I chose gold for my 6# line and red for my 8# line. I have a hard time seeing the other flurocarbons in the water and like to be able to see it well when finesse fishing. The eyes aren't what they used to be. Rolling Eyes

For the flurocarbon co-polymer I use PLine for both spinning and baitcasting. It is very strong and I've never had a problem with it.

Walt
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berkley Ironsilk
which is on sale for $1.99 - 330 yards
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_98616_100010001_100000000_100010000_100-10-1

Subtotal $19.90
Standard Shipping $4.95
Additional Shipping Charges
Total $24.85

*** The sale has no minimum amount to buy, I just wanted to show that you can get a lot of great line for cheap

Berkley Fireline - no stretch great for soft plastics such as senkos or wroms

Berkley Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon Pro Grade

P-Line any version of P-Line is good

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P-line has a $6 rebate on 2 spools (limit one). Berkley also has a rebate, $5 back on 2 spools(limit 2). So i sent 2 to my buddies house Smile

Picked up a couple spools of p-line flouroclear in 6lb and ordered bulk spools directly from triplefish in RXspinning 8 and 10. 4,000 yards for 19 bucks per spool !! CHEAP

I thought, in copolymer i was going to see thinner diameters ?????????????????????????

The p-line 10lb flouroclear is the same diameter as berkley xl !!!
Any other type of p-line that dicks had, was actualy larger in diameter !!! WTF !!

Im hoping this triplefish RX spinning diameter is atleast the same as berkley xl in the same lb test, or smaller, since i cant find a diameter to compare.

BOY, its hard to break off and make a change when ive been trusting this stuff for years. Not to mention, there are a million lines out there to choose from.

AND, AND,

Ask for opinions, you get a different one every time!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay away from Iron silk!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is horrible. I got abunch of free samples and gave it away because it was so bad.

You can't go wrong with P-Line they have many types for all applications. I have tried everything out there and P-line seems to be the best for me
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: