CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: lenght vs reel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djmon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: lenght vs reel Reply with quote

i have a mix of baitcasters and spinning setups that vary in lenghts from 4'6" to 7'.
different actions and powers for each bait i use or fish i go for. all the usually for any fisherman.

just trying to get an idea of your opinions on the topic of 6ft vs 7ft and the mid way of 6'6" and is there a different if using a spinning rod vs baitcast. for example: i currently have a 7ft spinning and a 6'6" baitcasting which are working fine for me however have some 6ft casting i switch through. i've been told by people 7ft is better than 6ft and 6ft is better than 7ft.

any feedback guys?,
slimecoat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends what type of bait your throwing and to what type of cover. For instance throwing a topwater zara spook, it is a heavier bait needing in my opinion a heavier rod, either a med. / heavy or heavy action. Most topwater baits you want to cast as far away from your boat as possible, thus needing a longer rod to do so, such as a 7ft 0r 7ft 6inch.

My jig rods for example are a 6' 6" med. action for fishing around wood cover and deep weeds, and my other jig rod is a 7'6" heavy action for fishing really thick nasty matted vegetation.

Long story short, you have to purchase and use your equiptment for how you fish, and what your comfortable with. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own big rods for big business.

7 11 Hswimbait rod- I can toss my swimbaits so far that im not confident I could reel in a fish if it hit in the first 5 feet of the retrieve.

7 11 XHjig rod- I have a ridiculous ammount of confidence in this rod. The thing has balls. Balls of steel. Hardened steel. Ive catapulted bass out of some nasty brush on hooksets alone. Longer rod does more work, you can use the rod to gain line helping the reel.

7 6 Hmultipurpose- basically a combination of the two abpove- I use it as a backup jig rod/backup swimbait rod. Good rod to toss a frog on- plastic or hard plastic.

6 6 Mh- My texas rig rod. Good rod for role casting a spinnerbait/chatterbait into cover. I feel I have more accuracy from a distance and I feel its the best choice for hitting a bass that mite spit a lure by the time you feel the bite on a longer rod.

6 6 mh spinning rod- My all around play rod. I toss topwaters up to 1/2oz and soft jerkbaits and hard jerkbaits. Maybe a little tubeing tossed in.

6 6 m spinning rod- lite rod- good for a dropshot or 1/8oz tube.

Theres are all crucials- alot of rod dont have as Fast of an action- meaning these rods dont bend much and they bend at the end of the rod. All blanks are different and it takes some trial and error to find a rod brand your comfortable with.
djmon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys,

my perfered baits would be super flukes and senkos. i will sometimes throw a power worm and started using shaky/trick worms this year.

i will once in awhile use a hardbait but not enough to base my rod choice on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: