CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: 4 STROKE O/B SPARK PLUGS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmorjoe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: 4 STROKE O/B SPARK PLUGS Reply with quote

Up until now I have just thrown out my spark plugs in the spring. The fogging fluid gunks them up. Now money is tight and I am wondering if any of you guys clean, re-gap and put them back in. Thanks cmorjoe p.s. the motor is a 60hp Yamaha if it makes a difference.
brennan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joe:

Not sure what plug yours takes, but I put new plugs in my 115 for less than 10 bucks. For me, not worth the time cleaning for that cost. If you want to clean, I suggest decarbing with seafoam in the cylinders and letting it burn off....Leaves the plugs nice and clean....And frees up your rings and stuff....Lots of instructions out on the web for this.

Brennan
ploplopfizzfizz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its 6 of 1 or half dozen of the other.Unless the dealer told u your engine needs special 50 dollar spark plugs you should be fine just changing them.
Cleaning them and what not is a pain and can be just as costly as changing the plugs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt change mine after fogging. 4 stroke and runs fine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: FINE LINE BETWEEN CHEAP AND THRIFTY! Reply with quote

I have been telling my wife that for years. Yes the price of new plugs is about $16.00 for my Yamaha. In todays market that's almost 4 gallons of gas which would do me fishing for about 2 weeks (yes the Yamaha is good on gas) besides did I fail to mention I drive a school bus and contrary to popular belief is not the the best paying job. Another thought is why throw away good (but dirty) plugs in the landfill. No I think I will do my part to save the ecology and clean my plugs. Any other thoughts? If not thanks guys! cmorjoe
brennan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll mention seafoam again. It will clean your plugs for you and decarbon your pistons and heads. Most outboard manufactures recomend decarbonizing once a year to prevent ring coking and cylinder scoring. Check Yamaha and see what they suggest.

B
cmorjoe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Seafoam? Reply with quote

Is that like a carb cleaner only better; and who sells it around here? p.s. you got alot of nerve holding a bass that big; I've been fishing for over 50 years and I haven't got anything that big in the boat (close a few times though) ONLY KIDDING AND THANKS FOR THE ADVICE. CMORJOE
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it at advanced. All the big stores have it, such as pepboys, napa and aut zone. Might even find it in a walmart.

Here joe. Details on it and what the can looks like, http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

I would suggest to anyone using this stuff. Put a 1/4 can of it in and about 5 gallons of gas, or half the can and 10 gallons of gas.

Do it a couple times a season, DEPENDING on how often you use the motor.

Dont forget to add some staybil too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autozone for seafoam Deep Creep(in an areosol can)....Then, fog the crap out of the motor with about 1/2 a can thru the carbs and shut her down. While the engine is still hot, pull the plugs and give each cylinder a healthy blast. Bump the motor over without starting. Let sit 1-6 hours and take er to the lake for a med paced run or run on the muffsjust over idle....Just beware of the black crap that will leave thru the exhaust(will ruin a fence if it is behind the boat)

This will do the plugs and the decarb at once.....

As far as the fish, had a lucky day at a great fishery....Anyone could have cought it that day.....

B
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for 16 buck I would think that would be a no brainer. Why risk motor troubles and possibly stranding yourself out in the water over 16$.

Justin
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bass Addict wrote:
for 16 buck I would think that would be a no brainer. Why risk motor troubles and possibly stranding yourself out in the water over 16$.

Ditto what he said. Not worth the $16.00 bucks. I would just change them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: