CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Fishing
Viewing Topic: ct river spring striper? Where to fish in hartford area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: ct river spring striper? Where to fish in hartford area Reply with quote

I want to try and catch some stripers on the river this spring. When do they start running up the CT river? Where are some good spots to find them?

Justin
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone?

Justin
snakebite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/4 mile up river from the rocky hill boat launch when the bottom changes from 10 to 30ft you can set up a good drift with three way eels, and weatherfields cove at night with live line eels is pretty good have to get there at high tied though.

snakebite
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks snake, when do they start running up the river? I just got a new motor on my 14' tracker so I want to do more river fishing. Definitely want to catch some stripers.

"1/4 mile up river from the rocky hill boat launch when the bottom changes from 10 to 30ft"

heading towards middletown?

Justin
snakebite

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go north from rocky hill boat launch, also at high tide at white oaks cove the bass will stage up at the out flow of the cove waiting for what ever they can eat. They usually start showing up around may. I usually fish deep water during the day and shallow water at night.

snakebite
Just4fun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They usually start about mid=late april, with May being THE month to get them. The run ends sometime around early June as the water temp hits 70. The reason the stripers run the river is just because they are chasing & feeding on the alewifes which come up-river to spawn. The stripers will herd the alewife schools up onto the shallow flats and then chow down in a feeding frenzy. The simple way to catch them is to just drift down the flats as you cast towards shore.....If you're catching fish on that flat, as you get to the end, just motor back upriver to where it begins and make another drift down!

Tip for finding the best flats to fish: LOOK FOR OTHER PEOPLE FISHING THERE!!! Razz Razz

Usually the low-light times (dusk, dawn, and heavy overcast days) are the best for these shallow flats! When it gets real bright and sunny,..they will pull out to deeper water.

They also like to hang around the mouths of inlets to the river on falling tides as the water is rushing out. This is the time to catch them where Weathersfield Cove etc. meet the river. Note: There's usually a lot of shore guys and waders there,..so i usually leave that spot to them! Try the mouth of Keeny cove instead!
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark great info - much appreciated. My old man is a salt water fisherman who often goes after stripers. So it would be cool to do some fresh water strper fishing on light line. I let you guys know if I get any. Thanks.

Justin
snakebite

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stripers are there to spawn aswell as the alwives, river inlets are a good spot too. Try three waying an eel in deep water for the big cow stripers.

snakebite
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to give this a try tonight. I met some guy in Rocky Hill that caught 4 of them yesterday. Hopefully I will have some luck. I will let you guys know how I do.

Justin
okie2261

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject: stripers Reply with quote

their is this great spot inbetween rocky hill and wethersfield that i got 6 schooleis last night, i will be their tonight as well
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: