CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Newbie lookin for advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FishaLou

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Newbie lookin for advice Reply with quote

So, I've been going out almost daily to the small pond at A.W. Stanley park in New Britain. I pulled 7 bass out of there since late April when I started to get into my after-work fishing routine. They were all fairly small, but gave me enough of a rush to come back day after day. Lately I've been getting consistently skunked. Being quite new to Bass fishing, I'm thinking I need to re-think my set-up and/or technique, so I'm seeking a bit of advice.

My gear is probably part of the issue since I'm using a cheap $20 Shakespere Xterra, and have a limited selection of lures. I find myself constantly switching between lures I have since I'm not sure what the fish want to eat. The place is filled with weeds so I've been trying a weedless worm and frog with no luck at all. I've also been trying Heddon Torpedos with no luck on those. Then I have some rapalas, and rattling floaters which I caught most of the bass I mentioned earlier on, however hits on those are few and far between.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Just4fun

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish in a small pond will definitely get conditioned to lures that they keep seeing,..so it's not surprising that they will stop biting the lures that used to work there! If it's weedy there now,..then senkos are a good choice,..but you may have trouble getting a decent hookset if your rod is too flexible. Some braided line would help since it has no stretch,...go with 20 or 30# Powerpro or Stren for spinning gear! Wink
slimecoat

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also try throwing a tube rigged weedless, with a 1/16 oz. bullet weight at the nose. The water temp should be warm enough now to throw a spinnerbait with some success as well. If the weeds aren't too thick yet, you could throw a 4" smoke grub too. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that place gets a ton of pressure and the fish could be in post spawn mode funk. I would try some other places that are not as pressured. Plastic worms seem to work no matter what season you are in.

Justin
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Just4fun (Mark) said. Also a small place that's getting hammered you may need to try different lures while downsizing and then start learning to fish extremely slow. Soooo slow that it is killing you because you feel like you don't have the patience for it.
FishaLou

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys! That helped alot.

I didn't think the A.W. Stanley park was too pressured until last week when I saw a few guys carrying 5-6 large bass out of there to take home. It would suck if people are doing that often in a small pond like that.

I'm thinkin I might have to find some new spots.
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FishaLou wrote:
Thanks for the advice guys! That helped alot.

I didn't think the A.W. Stanley park was too pressured until last week when I saw a few guys carrying 5-6 large bass out of there to take home. It would suck if people are doing that often in a small pond like that.

I'm thinkin I might have to find some new spots.

I hate those damn bucket brigades!!! Evil or Very Mad It's their choice if they want to eat bass but they don't realize that taking a couple of medium/small bass is a whole lot better than taking the large ones out. And also take home what you're going to eat without waste. People have to think about the future of fishing small ponds/lakes......they think that these small bass ponds have an infinite supply of fish and then they wonder why they're no longer catching anything when they clean the place out. Oh well who cares....they're just go somewhere else and start the cycle all over again. When will they learn!!????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: