CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Hammonasset Beach/ Meigs Point ???
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moose

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Hammonasset Beach/ Meigs Point ??? Reply with quote

I posted this in the reports section yesterday by mistake. Looking for info, not giving a report- at least not until next week.

Can anyone here tell me how the fishing is at Hammonassett beach right now? I will be camping there from Sunday 6/15 - Thurs. 6/19. I have not really fished saltwater before. I got a 8' Tica with a Boca30 reel last winter, but have not broken them in yet (other than a short trip to Norwich harbor late winter). I have a handful of plugs, Sluggos, and bucktail jigs and not too much else. I typically fish mostly freshwater, but would like to give the salt a go. I'll be camping solo on Sunday night and then my kids will be joining me on monday after their last day of school. I hope to do some night fishing on Sunday night as I'll have the opportunity (I don't want to bring the kids on the jettie at night). Anyone willing to give a lesson, tips or advice would be welcomed.
DaveI

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Moose, I'm not an experienced shore fisherman, but i can offer some ideas.... I have see a lot of guys chunking bunker and doing ok on Bluefish and Bass. The Blues aren't that thick yet but maybe later in June. At Night you could throw a Danny swimmer and slowly wake it accross the surface, work a pencil popper (slow) at the tip of Meigs point there is a nice rip, that forms with the moving tide, tons of boulders as well, I would think you would probably want to fish at Higher tide (either outgoing or incoming) as long as there is sufficient water. Also at Dusk and after dark you could swing a dark colored bucktail with pork trailer in the current, cast up current and let the current sweep the jig, you want to be a foot or 2 off the bottom at most. On the light tackle side, there are Hickory shad, and the assorted bottom fish (small porgies, sea robins, Fluke etc.). I like small lead heads with chartreuse twister tails for the shad. The bottom fish will take seaworm, squid and Mummies you could even work a small jig with a squid strip and catch multiple species.

Good Luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: