CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: spinnerbait choices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: spinnerbait choices Reply with quote

this is for some of us rookies out there...

ok so can someone on here give a good explaination on what blades there are, what should be used for different conditions, colors, etc...

Just one more cast...
Pappy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Primarily 3 different blade designs

Colorado - More circular and cupped than the others. Sends out greatest vibration and provides greatest lift. General the choice for more colored water where site is less of an attractant than sound or when you are trying to keep the bait up over weeds. Generally for daytime fishing a double colorado is used with a 2 on the front and a 4 or 5 on the back. THE nightime blade usually quite a bit larger some use 5's I've seen them up to a size 8. Single blade in black is a killer night time bait especially over weeds. Single large blade is also used for deep fishing with a spinnerbait on heads up to and exceeding 1oz.

Willow blades are on the other end of the spectrum. They are longer and more narrow. They do not provide as much lift or vibration as a colorado but much more flash. They are generally used in clearer water or when you want to run deeper such as over short grass. General blade sizes is similar to the colorado.

Some people mix a willow and colorado on a double spin to get the best of both others go to an Indiana. The Indiana is a compromise blade. It is similar to the willow but a little broader and not quite as long. Some flash and some vibration. Still more of a clear water mid-depth bait.

As for colors people generally run silver blades with skirts which as lighter such as white , silver, etc. They run gold with the more colorful skirts. Some use colored blades especially in overcast or color water conditions.

Basic skirt colors are white, black and chatreuse although you can get a custom skirt blade combination at a very reasonable price from Mike Kane down as Tournament Force Tackle in Guilford. I've had him make all mine custom. I especially like the white.silver, pink combination in both colorado and willow lead in lakes that stock trout.

Hope this is helpful.

Walt
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for explaining. this sure helped

Just one more cast...
chumley

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bassresource.com has good info for all differant types of baits. they explan spinnerbaits very well, nice little site

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clearer water double willow with a more transleusant skirt,

here are some notes i took at a tft seminar last year.

Skirt colors:

Most popular chart/white for stained to clear water. In clearer water conditions white or transleusent colors look more natural.
Bright colors such as chartreuce for dirty water or for smallmouths.

Blades:

Willow Blade- Most flash with little to no vibration used in clear to stained water.
Colorado Blade- Most vibration no flash. Single blade colorado for dirty water or at night.
French Blade- Flash with alot of vibration.

Blade colors:

Silver- Sunny conditions and clearer to stained water.
Gold- Sunny conditions and dirty water.
Painted- Better in overcast conditions with stained water
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys great info!

Just one more cast...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: