CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: CABELAS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: CABELAS Reply with quote

This was my 1st Cabelas I have ever gone to...
It was an hour long ride with the family.

Pretty big though I believe there was MUCH more hunting then fishing.

Plenty of reels
A lot!!! of rods more rods then reel and lures I believe...

They didn't have as much varieties of lure/soft plastics as I thought they would. Sad

I was looking for bags of northland slurpie dip sticks (senkos) but, unfortunately they didn't have any.

An employee helped me out quickly even though I had 2 questions:
1 - if the head any northland slurpies
2 - If the had the pfl. president combo in a bigger size reel with a medium action rod

Most of them seemed like they had at least the basic knowledge of fishing and fishing gear.

Unless I go in that direction for more then just Cabelas I don't see my self going back...
or
Unless I plan to buy a lot of items
To me I could save the time traveling along with gas and just spend the money on shipping costs...

I took some pics of the Aquariums and some of the animals, if any of you would like to seem them post here or message me and I will post them.

If you have any questions please ask.

If you have been to a bass pro shop and or another Cabelas (along with this one) please compare it to the Cabelas here in CT.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets see those fish! Very Happy

Just one more cast...
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hartford Cabelas sucks compared to other cableas stores.The people I have dealt with were very uneducated in there specific hunting or fishing field.I am not saying all the employees are dumb just the ones i have dealt with so far.It is a good store to go to if you know exactley what you want and want to look at it before you purchase.

Bass Pro and Cabelas are basically the same stores its just preference.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabelas is a hunting store with a fishing dept.

and

Bass Pro Shops is a fishing store with a hunting dept.

I think there is a big difference, as I do not hunt, and love to fish. Bass Pro shops has my vote hands down!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I noticed at some bass pro shops (galleries at least) there is almost if as much hunting as there is fishing...

Though I would agree that Cabelas is considered more of a hunting "pro shop"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree.... The guys who work in the fishing dept have no idea what they are doing. Half the time I feel like im training them. Second, there have been alot of empty pegs there as of late. Lots of stuff that I need isnt being replenished. That part does stink. The jig section is crap and they have crap for Lucky Craft. (not surprised) If you want Lucky Craft, obviously you need to go to Tournament Force. I was in Cabela's the other day looking for Flukes for the River and they had NOTHING!! They had an enitre display that had just a couple bags of nasty colors. I hate to say this but I have found more stuff I need at Dick's. This Cabela's store seems nothing more than a fancy Wal-Mart with a bigger fishing section. JMO

I also wasnt impressed with the Bass Pro in Foxboro either.........

CT RIVER
Every Tuesday Night @ 5 p.m.
EAST HARTFORD LAUNCH
$10 Per Person
Winner Take All!
WishinIWasFishin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really bummer....

I go to school down in PA, in a quiet country town outside of Harrisburg and we have a bass pro in Harrisburg and a Cabelas about an hour away. I think both stores have excellent selections. I haven't been to the Cabelas much but I do go to the Bass Pro and have had one or two employees not know whats going on, but I've had many more experiences with very knowledgeable people. I also had a hardtime getting a reel there...they kept selling out. And I bought it online but the manager gave me the rod at the combo price.

If you can, and want to make a difference...get a job there, then you get a discount Very Happy

I guess what I'm saying is to not write em off just yet. I know they interview intensely trying to get the local experts in the community to share there knowledge and get payed for it, I guess they didn't get such a good turnout. I personally went to an interview for a summer job but since the store wasn't opening til late that summer I passed.

Be patient and maybe training the guys could be a good thing
Old standby push button
slimecoat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just there yesterday afternoon with my 3 1/2 year old. He likes to just walk around and see all the mounts, the fish tanks, shoot up things in the shooting gallery etc.

I am a bass fisherman, and was looking for a simple item, a couple packs of Gamakatsu 2/0 EWG worm hooks that I had almost used up on the Winni trip a week ago. I had to search all over for them. I finally stumbled on the hook isle, in the god damn trout section, then no 2/0 hooks, they had 1/0, 3/0, 4/0, 5/0, 6/0, 7/0. So Justin I feel your pain, they need to keep a better inventory system, and replace items when the pegs empty.

I did have fun walking around with my son though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree that both the BassPro and Cabela's in New England are horrible. BassPro is a bit better than Cabela's, but both have a very small fishing section compared to the other stores located in PA, and the frustration level builds as you try to search for the one thing you need.

I went to the BassPro in MA shortly after it opened and it was very bare on the racks. Cabela's is worse, and yes, you can almost always find more at Dick's. I understand that by mixing sections up it makes people walk around the store more and maybe make them buy a few extra things, but I would rather be able to go to one section of the store to look at all the tackle storage, hooks, or brands of fishing rods. Cabela's has flukes on the same peg as superhogs, trick worms and other Zoom products. Some swimbaits are in the salt water section and there seems to be more stock in boxes than on the shelves. Their website may also say that the store has a particular item in stock, but when you get there, the idiot sales people tell you they don't carry it, or they don't even know where to begin to look for it.

Definitely not worth the wasted cost of gas to drive there for nothing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: