CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Swimbait hook sets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shortypowers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Swimbait hook sets Reply with quote

I picked up a package of Money Minnows recently and have thrown them for at least a few casts in my last few outings.

I've had a few hits, but haven't hooked up to anything (except a small one that I caught in the gill).

Any tips on the hooksets here or even presentation? I've been doing a steady reel and when I get a hit, it doesn't seem like there's enough time to really set the hook. Do I keep reeling? pause before setting? Perhaps the fish aren't big enough either as it's a good sized hook (4/0 I think).
brennan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been throwing the bass magic 5.5" with a 6/0 owner hook. Hookups have been better if you pause before hookset until you can feel the rod load up like using a TW lure.....Also, use heavy tackle and strong line....

Hope that helps

B
Justin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you aren't hooking up but getting hit, it could be that you're throwing the wrong size bait or color, or it's just the fish are in kill-mode rather than feed mode. Sometimes you get into a funk where you keep getting hit, but never hook up and don't think about stuff like that. I've had days where i continually got hit on a 6", but once I changed to a smaller size (5"), the hookups wouldn't stop.

Obviously using a single hook may not give you as many hookups as a treble (1 versus 3 hooks), so you can always try different baits or hooks.

You definitely have to experiment with different retrieves...fast / slow / twitching it / pausing it...until you figure out which method works best. Sometimes they just engulf it and all you have to do it continue to reel because they hook themselves. Other times, you'll feel a 'tick' and you set the hook and it's game on.

I was in the same boat as you getting hit and hadn't really caught anything with any consistency. Now I have more confidence in throwing them as I have tried different baits and learned how to fish them...and in turn, caught more and better fish. As painful as it may be, you sometimes have to just go out there and only throw a swimbait all day to figure it out...it's a blast when it works.
shortypowers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you -- great info.

It seems like it would be a fun bait to fish with and the money minnow seems to have good action. I'll have to force myself to work with it a lot more and see if I can get a better feel for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: