CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: What to do with Bluebird days?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brennan

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: What to do with Bluebird days? Reply with quote

Hey all:

Got a total bluebird day on Sunday and fishing was pretty poor....What do the fish do during these high pressure events and how/what to catch them?

Thanks for any knowledge you can impart.

Brennan
stumpy

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

along with the bluebird skys the other day you also had clear water and even the possibility of post spawn activity. high preassure days i slow down alot, tx rigged worms, fineses worms and the best ive seen for clear water is a dropshot. you can work it shallow or deep.
Just4fun

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My $.02
In the non-spawn times of year, the bass tend to hunker down and the bite gets a lot tougher. This doesn't mean they can't be caught,..but it will take more effort, so it pays to adjust your mindset before you even start fishing to keep from getting discouraged!
They will bury up in the thickest cover that they can find and their strike zone gets a lot smaller. My game plan is usually to use a heavy weight and flip into thick vegetation. I don't work the bait much,..I'm trying to hit them on the head and get a reaction strike so the more drops that i make with the bait the better my chances are of getting it close enough for one to bite. It's strictly a statistical thing!
If that's not your style, then you can do the same thing with a moving reaction bait like a jerkbait or a rattletrap (the KVD approach..),....just plan on it taking more casts per fish than normal and space your casts closer to each other since the fish will take a swipe at your bait if it gets close enough but they won't chase it very far!

During the spawn,..I would just go striper fishing instead! Laughing Laughing
stumpy

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the spawn,..I would just go striper fishing instead! Laughing Laughing[/quote]

i should of done that today Rolling Eyes
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark where can I launch around the mouth of the ct river for stripers? I only have a 14' row boat. I have hitting fishing Rocky Hill through Hartford and have only caught 2 so far. I wonder if I would have better luck near Old Saybrook.

Justin
Just4fun

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the nicest launches in the state is in old saybrook right under the I-95 bridge. There is a very large no wake zone going both directions from the launch (the zone goes from the railroad bridge to the south to some no-wake marker buoys on the north end),..so if it's not too windy, you could probably do it,...but there are an awful lot of ocean-yachts around,..so be careful if you go there! Note: the wind really rips around there, and it can be pretty rough so if it's a windy day forget it! Get a river map if you don't already have one and fish the shallow areas and the drop-offs from them!

I believe that there is also a launch in Old Lyme on the Lieutenant River off rt-1 which might be a more suitable place for your boat. It's less than a mile off the mouth of the CT River,..so I'm sure there's stripers running up there too.

Another place is at the mouth of the Salmon river in Essex.

All of them are free places to launch! Cool

Note: It's always a hit or miss thing for stripers. Low light times (sun-up, sundown and cloudy days..) and on the high tides are the best times to find them in the shallows! Good luck!
stumpy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: What to do with Bluebird days? Reply with quote

brennan wrote:
Hey all:

Got a total bluebird day on Sunday and fishing was pretty poor....What do the fish do during these high pressure events and how/what to catch them?

Thanks for any knowledge you can impart.

Brennan

NOT WHAT WE DID !!! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: