CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Out of State Reports
Viewing Topic: Spofford Lake 7/5 & 7/6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ME_fisherman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Spofford Lake 7/5 & 7/6 Reply with quote

Went up to visit my brothers-in-law who are working at Camp Spofford on Spofford Lake for the summer. I would only get a couple of brief opportunities to fish, but any chance is a good one.

The first fish came on an unexpected chance when we went for a boat ride. I wanted to mark on my GPS both ends of a reef that tops out at 8ft under the surface. After I finished my wife said I had five minutes when I asked if I could catch one fish. First cast with the drop shot I land a rock bass and then before 4 minutes were up I caught a keeper smb and went back to the dock early and happy!

My next trip was an hour and a half before dark. This was a very productive trip catching 10-15 rock bass and 6 keeper smb including two decent fish. The first was a 16" smb caught on a drop shot and the second was my best smb from the lake . . . a very fat 3lb 8oz. That one I caught on a jitterbug just before dark. I wish I took a picture of the gut.

The last trip was 2 hours before breakfast. I'm not sure why the bass weren't biting as I only caught a 14" smb and a 13" lmb, but the other species were out in force. The rock bass have become insane in there. I think I would have caught more bass if these things didn't keep jumping on my bait before it could reach the bottom. I had to have caught thirty of them and could have caught more if I targeted them. Anyone know how they taste??? Anyway, I also caught a 24" pickerel (a first for me in that lake) and a couple of yellow perch.

Last edited by ME_fisherman on Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
T_Shan BAWS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been going to Spofford my entire life (30 years) and have seen it transform over all the years. I saw my first rock bass in there in the summer 1999. The few I caught that year were very big (for rock bass). Ever since then, they've become more numerous and smaller, which obviously tells me of a population boom. Not good. For instance, I went snorkelling last weekend up there. I went to see if there were any LM's under our neighbor's dock that usually holds some nice fish. Nope. About 50 rockbass and some bluegills. And, just like you, when I was fishing last week we boated 4 LM's and about 20 rockbass in 2+ hours of fishing. (I did literally rip the lips off one with a jig'n'pig).

Lake Sunapee use to be a prime smallmouth fishery nearby. They had a rockbass infestation and now you barely hear anything regarding bass in Sunapee. I think they need to have some fish kills for rockbass up there. I've loaded my livewell several times and gave the forest creatures across the street a buffet. There is no doubt in my mind it's affecting the bass population and fishing up there. On the other hand, I will say the average size of the LM has increased over the last few years, not sure if that has anything to do with it. I don't think the pike eat them and once they get certain size, bass don't either. It's a shame if the bass fishery takes any more of a worse turn.
ME_fisherman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that this should be looked into. I'd like to see fishery departments look into this a little more and give the anglers some suggestions on how to remedy the issue. Not just in that lake or state, but I've seen similar things happen in several lakes in New England.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Out of State Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: