CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater Reports
Viewing Topic: Old Lyme Surfcasting 7/19
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FishaLou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Old Lyme Surfcasting 7/19 Reply with quote

I spent Saturday hangin out on a desolate beach in Old Lyme with some friends. Decided to bring my Saltwater gear down and try my luck at surfcasting off the beach. Ended up catching an interesting selection of fish that day. Started out with a small striper, after that caught 2 blackfish and a large porgy. Later that night I caught a sand shark, and some kind of skate or sting ray. I was using sandworms and frozen bunker for bait.

It was the most successful trip i've had surfcasting, so I figured it was worthy of a report. It was also pretty cool as I've never caught a shark before. Next weekend I'm thinking i'll try it again or take the kayak out and try my luck.
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a good day. where did you fish from? Rocky Neck? My wifes parents have a beach house in Giants Neck. I caught a couple of schoolies off the jetti 2 weeks ago with sandworms.

Justin
FishaLou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually fishing a few beaches down from Rocky Neck at Point o' Woods beach where my family has a summer cottage. I wasn't fishing the main beach, but if you walk down the coast a ways there are beaches that are better for fishing since people are rarely out there.

Those sandworms work great. Only thing that sucks is that the porgies love em too. My friend caught 4 of em that day. We always had something on the line with the sandworms. I hadn't really thought of it, but I suppose we coulda used the porgies for bait too... althought i'm not too sure how well they'd work. I just threw everything back.
DaveI

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report, sounds like fun
basshole56

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackfish....interesting, gonna have to check that area..
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy has a house their. We used to troll hatches reef on his boat for big stripers.

Justin
FishaLou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackfish are pretty common in the rocky shoreline areas around Old Lyme. Here's a pic of one I caught a week prior to this report, in the same general area. This one was a bit larger than the few I caught while surfcasting. Suprisingly I caught it on a Rapala.

edit: OMG this pic is huge haha.. there a way to size it down?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: