CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Out of State Reports
Viewing Topic: Clearwater Smallies and Kennebec Camping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ME_fisherman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Clearwater Smallies and Kennebec Camping Reply with quote

I headed to Maine on Thursday night for a weekend of camping with the family (all 29 of us!) and was able to squeeze in some fishing here and there.

My first stop was to a place in my home town that I descovered a few years back (I knew it was there, but never fished there) and has quickly become my favorite place to fish. I only had 2.5 hours to fish, but I did some exploring and only hit two spots that I knew about. The first spot was one that I found this spring and it took me a little time to find the smb instead of the perch. Once I did I was impressed, but time was running short and I had to still check a 10-20 steep drop along one bank and a boulder field. The steep drop didn't have anything, but the boulder field (the size of a football field) in 10-16' of water held some very nice smallies. I probably only fished those two spots a total of 30 minutes if you take away the time to retie and unhook fish/take pictures, but I was able to catch 8, loose two and have one break off. I never saw the one that broke off, but the two I lost would have challenged for the day's lunker.

I caught them on drop shots, spider grubs and a wacky worm. Water temp was 74 and conditions were cloudy with some rain and a slight breeze.

It was funny after catching a few and not measuring them, I only decided to measure the smallest two which were 16.25" and then 15.5"! All of them had huge guts (see picture below) and fought like champs.

One, pictured solo, literally jumped into the boat on the back deck . . . first time it has happened to me.

Then I headed off to do some camping with 29 of my family members (you can see half the tents in a picture below) in Skowhegan at Two Rivers campground on the Kennebec River. This is an awesome spot if you are looking for a place to camp in Maine. I hear the fishing is good, but the high/muddy waters after the rain was making it slow. The first night I caught two big pickerel (first time catching pickerel in water with a current), one small smb, and two small lmb. The second morning I caught a keeper lmb and smb as well as a short of both. This morning a got a few hits, but nothing. This was all within 3 hours of fishing, so even though it sounded bad with wasn't too bad.

A setting must have been changed on my camera for these two shots.

My brother caught nothing the one trip he came out on and my brother-in-law caught this little smb when he came out for a second trip with his son.

CTBASSIN

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you guys had a great time. Nice looking smallies and great report

Fitzwater Lures- Best custom jigs on the market
http://www.fitzwaterlures.com/

American Bass Anglers Draw Tournament Trail
CT Division 6
www.abadivision6.com
cmorjoe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: BETTER ENJOY IT NOW!!!!! Reply with quote

Why? because three weeks from today you know where we WILL BE! Joe
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounded like an awesome trip. Great job on those smallies, congrats!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Out of State Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: