CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Out of State Reports
Viewing Topic: Lake Winnipesaukee - New Hampshire
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pappy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Lake Winnipesaukee - New Hampshire Reply with quote

Haven't done much fishing this summer, and therefore been AWOL from the site for quite a while. I've only been out only 6 times previous to this past week because I decided to leave the computer profession after 30 years to enter teaching and spent this summer in an intensive teacher preparation program. I begin this Weds. Teaching 8th grade Algebra at the Derby Middle School.

We did get this past week before school starts here in Derby and spent it up in the Lakes Region up in New Hampshire with all our kids and granddaughter Kayla. It was a blast. Fished 4 out of the six days three with my son-in-law Ryan (ME_Fisherman).

The house we normally rent was hit hard by flash flooding up there which moved it off its main support structure a week before we were scheduled to leave so we had to swap to another house, which didn't have a dock. That meant trailering the boat, which limited our fishing but wasn't as much of a hassle as I thought it would be.

In one sense it turned out to be a blessing in disguise as Ryan and I discovered a new small 300+ acre lake about 10 minutes from the house we rented in Moultonboro named Lake Kanasatka. The launch area is small (4 trailers max) and the launch is very steep but we were able to launch my bowrider and get in some good fishing.

Day 1 was bright and sunny with air temps in the 80s and water temps in the mid 70s. We found the fish (mostly smallies on day 1) off of windblown points in about 10-15 feet of water. We were on the water about 6:30 and off around 1:30. It took us a while to establish a pattern but once we did the bite was good. Most of our fish came in the last 2-3 hours. We had a number of the typical 2-3 pound smallies, with a couple of smaller one's thrown in. Numbers for the day were over a dozen. Ryan had one nice one that was over 3 pounds. I'll post a few pics later. The camera is still in the boat. Almost all the fish came on a drop shot. The main bait was a black grape colored zoom worm. I did get one nice LMB from a weed patch on a frog which was a thrill in about 3'. He was 17.5" and nice and full.

Day two we launched from a public launch in Moultonboro. We never made it out of that area of the lake. Again air temps were in the 80s under bright and sunny skies water temps in the mid 70s. We launched at 6:00 and were off the water by 10:00. This area of the lake is one of the few largemouth areas. We were hoping to find some big ones, but instead wound up with smaller than average LMB for the area and some pickerel. The area is huge and we barely scratched the surface of possible locations working through a number of the back bas when we had to leave. We were fishing the weed edge of some real nasty milfoil in about 10' of water.

Day three was a much colder and rainy day. Air temps were only in the 60s with a pretty steady rain throughout the day. At one point the winds were very strong blowing us off our spots with regularity. We went back to Kanasatka. We were on the water by 6:00 and off at 11:00. This time we exclusively target windblown points and some deeper docks along the weed edge, which was the pattern from the last trip. We wound up with a nice mix of largemouths and smallmouths. But the day was fairly slow by comparison. Looked like the storm had impacted the bite from a couple days before. We landed around a dozen or so fish again mostly on the dropshot, it just seemed to take longer. Ryan had a beautiful LMB he caught in around 15'. I think we got a pic of that one.

Day 4 was a solo trip. Air temps in the 80s, water temps in the 70s and bluebird skies. I launched out of Center Harbor on Lake Winnipesaukee. I was on the water by 6:15 and back at the dock to do some family boating by 1:00. I started off fishing some hazard buoys / drop offs in Center Harbor and quickly picked up a couple 13" smallies in about 18' on a drop shot. From there I took off to the Meredith area which is where we normally stay and fish and hit some of the old spots. I picked up another 4 smallies there. 3 were on the dropshot and around 2 pounds again a little on the small side for Winnie. They all came in 15-20. The prize of the day was a 3+pound smallie that I landed on a chart/blue Norman crankbait in about 6' of water fishing a drop off. He hit is as soon as it began to move down the drop. He took it so far down the back treble was in his gill plate and he bled pretty good. I had trouble getting it out but was able to and he returned to the depths swimming fine. I picked up the final two smallies off of a floating dock (12') on a wacky rigged senko and a trampoline in 18' back in Center Harbor. It was my best day with 8 smallies landed averaging around 2#.
slimecoat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report Pappy, Winni rocks. Can't wait to get back up there, next year maybe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Out of State Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: