CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Out of State Reports
Viewing Topic: Winni
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Winni Reply with quote

Got back from Winni last night for a couple day trip...first time up there. I’m not sure if the weather conditions were throwing things off, or it’s just a harder lake to fish than I thought, but it definitely wasn’t a bonanza of big fish...all of the bass were smallmouth. It was pretty close to bluebird skies and was pretty warm on the water. The wind barely blue and the rocks/boulders were hungry. Everyone I spoke to before going up said the water was crystal clear, but with all the rain they’ve had in the past month or so has dirtied it up so you can only see about 15, maybe 20 feet down. Still pretty clear compared to what I’m used to in CT, but it’s a whole different world up there.

The first day (Saturday) we launched out of Center Harbor around 5 AM and fished that end of the lake...mostly around Beaver Island and that area, but also tried some offshore spots that looked good on the map. Everything seemed to look the same on the graph and side imaging, so it was a challenge to find a pattern of what to fish, but eventually found the spot on the spot. Had a few decent fish, mostly on dropshot and carolina rig, not much action on the tube. Tried topwater in Blacky Cove and only managed to catch some large pickerel...but it looked like an awesome place. Got off the lake around 7 PM to bang my head against the wall from frustration, have dinner, head out for a few drinks and catch a couple hour power nap.

The second day, we launched out of Ames Farm around 5 AM and fished more towards Welch Island and the larger section of the lake. Didn’t get too beat up with boat traffic, but my god, what are these idiots with huge cabin cruisers doing on a lake? It was definitely a more productive day, probably caught over a dozen fish that topped out at 2.5 pounds and up. Lost some giant smallmouth, but probably not as big as what is in the lake. Again, mostly on a dropshot and carolina rig, but had a better idea of what we wanted to look for. With so many points, it is a little mind boggling to try and see as much as you can in such a short amount of time. Got off the water around 4 PM to have a lovely drive home in traffic.

All the fish caught, even the little d!ckhead smallmouth, were gorging on baitfish and had big bellies...not to mention HUGE attitudes.

Can’t wait to get back up there in a few weeks for 9 days and then again in mid-October for another few.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Out of State Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: