CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: braid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjskeeter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: braid Reply with quote

I USE BAITCASTERS ALOT BUT I STILL USE MONO.MY BIG QUESTION IS DOES ANYBODY USE BRAID ON THERE BAITCASTERS???????????????????IM AFRAID IT WILL BACKLASH LIKE CRAZY DO TO IT NOT RAPING TIGHT.CAN ANYBODY HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!AND WHAT DO YOU USE IF SO.THANKS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this holds water for you but I have saltwater baitcasters and I use braid on every rod.
Baitcasters , Convential,Heavy Conventional and spinning

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Power Pro 20lb test braid thats the diameter of 6 test. I use it on a Megaforce baitcaster and have had no backlashing other than the fact that its my first baitcaster and 90% of the time its fine.
Old standby push button
Justin Tralli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the type of situation you're fishing. I have reels with braid from 10lb - 65lb briaid on them. Braid and mono are two different lines. Mono streches and briad as very little (i dont care what anyone says there's no such thing as line that doesnt have some degree of stretch)

Now if you want to put it on a baitcasting reel, you have some experimenting to do. I have tried just about EVERY brand of braid out there and one brand in my eyes stands above the rest. Suffix braid in my eyes is the absolute best briad you can put on a baitcaster. It casts like mono, is very strong and if you get a backlash (which everyone does) it comes out very easy.

I would stongly suggest that brand. I believe its the texture and shape of the line that makes it so good.....

So for your question, the answer is yes!

CT RIVER
Every Tuesday Night @ 5 p.m.
EAST HARTFORD LAUNCH
$10 Per Person
Winner Take All!
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second what justin said. I like suffix as well for the exact same reason. I have Diawa Samari braid on my reel right now and I hate it which is good because it is expensive. I will be going back to suffix once I wear out the Samari.

Justin
Ryan G.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braid can be great, just be sure that you add a backing of mono on your reel because if you spool up with only braid it will slip on the spool. It def has its advantages and place where it shines above the rest. I only use it when flipping thick grass mats of frog fishing pads. I never use it around wood or rock I tend to break off way too often. Good luck!
slimecoat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna catch shit for sharing this rookie move, but I can't resist.

Pointing dog can tell you from experience, about braid spinning on the spool while trying to hookset his first 3 fish, at his first Elite Series Event on the Potomoc River a few years ago, I believe he was fishing with either Kevin Wirth or Bernie Shultz that day.

You can also put a few wraps of electrical tape on your spool, before you spool on the braid, and this will stop the spinning as well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I typically fish braid (PowerPro) on my flipping sticks and only my flipping sticks. I feel that the water has to be at least a little dirty for the use of braid; when the water is crystal clear it seems that it can work against you getting strikes. Could be a confidence thing, as I know some guys exclusively throw braid in clear and dirty conditions. I've never tried it, but I know of some guys throwing it with spinner baits for better hook sets.

Like many things, it is trial and error to see what you are comfortable with and what will work for you. If you're worried about getting it wound tight enough, put on a glove and pinch the crap out of the line when spooling your reels.
WishinIWasFishin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To what Justin said.... I just use a mono leader when its real clear
Old standby push button
Phish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 50LB Power Pro Braid on one of my baitcasters and havent had any issues. I backlashed it a few times and actually had an easier time getting it out than I did with the mono I've got on my other baitcaster. I've been told by some pretty solid fishermen that I need to use braid for most topwater applications and flipping mats. Definitely want braid for a frog.
cobalt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy capslock batman
stumpy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was using braid only on one of my flipping sticks. this week i did some experimenting and used it on my worm/jig rod (7'h kistler mag) with a 17# fluoro leader. braid has unmatched sensitivity to anything ive ever used for worming. i will continue to add it to a few more rods (except cranking) and use a leader if i have to.
Justin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a leader of flouro can help, but i'd rather not have a definitive breaking point (the knot tying to two together). I know there are knots that can/should be tied, but I personally feel more comfortable have one continuous piece of line. Plus, from my experience, having the knot also reduces your cast length because of it catching on the guides.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: