CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Let's talk bluefish techniques -be positive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveI

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Let's talk bluefish techniques -be positive Reply with quote

Ok I have a livewell full of bunker and I want to catch some blues (with novices on board) - what are the best techniques? Anchor and chum - chunk with a single J hook on wire? Drift a chunk on 3-way? Or drift whole live bunker? And if using whole bait is their a rig that will put the hook in the back portion of the bait - I generally don't target blues and if I do it's only using artificials. What are the go to easy techniques. Somebody out there must target them, if you are too embarrasaed to post you can PM me Wink. I know that an eel or porgie on a single circle is not a good way... Laughing
june-bug

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried live bunker before I usually just use a regular hook and place the hook on the tail. I seen some guys doing today inshore and they caught about 4 big blues. I however do not have much luck with live bunker.
ploplopfizzfizz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly u can do whatever u like ,it depends on were u will be fishing as to what technique u want to use.
Good luck in the blowfish tourney.I hope u catch 300 bluefish.
Honestly this is the only weekend every year I target bluefish unless I am fishing ultralight tackle.
Bluefish are mindless feeders and if u present a good bait they will hit assuming they are in the house.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I'm not fishing the tournament, I just have some novice's that want to catch fish - I was looking for the most effective way to hook them, I guess I'll try drifting fresh chunks - the whole bunker seemed like a waste since they just gnawed off the tail and left the middle (you all know the drill). I was thinking there may be a stinger rig out there especially made for blues.
snafu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We brought home 35 yesterday in a couple hours of fishing using diamond jigs, that seems pretty effective to me.
A couple for the table and the rest are destined for the chum grinder.
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if they are around they will pretty much eat anything as plop stated. where will you be fishing? If you see the birds working - atom/gibbs/dannys poppers are a fun bait to catch them on - nothing like catching blues on top water. Cast masters, umbrella rigs, parachute rigs, 3 ways with chunk, hopkins, tubes....pretty much anything with a hook on it, provided they are around. I love catching blues and I don't understand why so many salties hate them. They put up a great fight. Laughing

Justin
ploplopfizzfizz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be happy to tell u why I prefer not to catch Silver sided skank fish.
I don`t Target Bluefish because ,I often eat what we catch.We target tasty species Sea Bass, Fluke,Blackfish,Porgies,stripers also sometimes Sand sharks and Sea Robins.
I also dont target Sand Sharks or Sea Robins because they usually really start to hit anywhere at slack tide.
Unless u can target small bluefish or smoke them they taste like oil.

Now to the important part of why I hate bluefish.I feel as though Quint and I do so well fishing because we tie all of our own rigs.We spend a few extra dollars on these home made rigs because we seem to know locally what really catches fish.Bluefish always seem to waste my money by biting many of these rigs in half.I can tell you that we have had over 30 fluke and Sea Bass rigs chewed up by these demons this year.That total is only about 40-60 bucks but its the principle.

Unless I am targeting these fish 4 example the bluefish tourney this weekend or using ultra light tackle for the fun of the fight.I don`t want the bluefish bonus.

Nibb High Football rules!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to each his own. I would rather catch 1 blue fish over a 100 fluke or sea bass. Bottom fishing to me is so boring. to me, It is like targeting sun fish when fishing fresh water. I would rather save the rig and fuel cost and just hit a fish market for those edibles. I do love the taste of fluke and sea bass but don't feel any adventure when catching them.

I like the taste of blue fish as well. I bleed them as soon as they hit the deck, then gut them, cut the head off and then pack them with ice. When I get back to the marina I skin them, bag them and take them home on ice. I will eat them either that night or the following day. If cooked right, they can be quite tasty. They are pretty awesome when smoked. Man I love those little bastards.

Justin
ploplopfizzfizz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we will agree to disagree on this 1.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll diamond jig them if I can't bass fish, It seems like when I want to jig them (with a novice on board or I have zero Bass action) I can't always find them (that's fishing), I do agree when they are located they are easy to catch. Anchoring and chumming/chunking is really effective but to me boring, but when you have new fisherman on board blues can really save the day - yes they are a pain and I don't eat them (I don't eat bass either) - believe it or not my co-worker begs me for bluefish fillets

I guess I would rather catch a Bluefish then nothing so all mine are released healthy. I never Fluke or Seabass fish (The lure of a big bass keeps me away from the good eating smaller species).

I guarantee when my son latches on to his first bluefish he will be psyched. I spent many hours as a kid targeting them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: