CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Dead fish in Highland
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Dead fish in Highland Reply with quote

WINSTED, Conn. -- Dead fish are washing ashore a lake in northwestern Connecticut.

The dead fish started appearing this week at Highland Lake in Winsted.

Residents said they’ve never seen anything like this before.

Resident Chris Bedard said he decided to go fishing Thursday, expecting to catch about 40 fish. He said that is a common amount for him to catch in the lake.

He said he didn’t catch anything during his most recent outing.

The president of the Highland Lake Watershed Association said having dead fish wash up on shore is unusual.

“We’ve noticed lately that the oxygen level is coming up,” said watershed President Richard Labich. “In other words, there’s less oxygen at the bottom of the lake than there used to be.”

Residents have also noticed large amounts of live fish pooling in shallow areas.

“They all seem to be brown trout, so I don’t think -- it’s not a Red Tide thing in the ocean,” said resident Ken Pratt. “I don’t know if the chemicals they put in for the weeds -- I’m not a chemist -- I don’t know if they would affect it or not.”

He said the lake is the shining star of the community.
E-mail news tips to Eyewitness News, or dial: 866-289-0333.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinkin lake turnover, or is it too early for that?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking Trout dinner...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Dead fish in Highland Reply with quote

SkeeterRon wrote:
“I don’t know if the chemicals they put in for the weeds -- I’m not a chemist -- I don’t know if they would affect it or not.”

well since plants consume carbon dioxide and release oxygen it very well could be the reason
ME_fisherman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking the lack of turnover, or consistent temperatures that caused it and maybe the weed kill, but probably not if the dying fish were trout. If the water isn't shifting (caused by temperature changes which changes the densities of the water causing the layers to mix) in a relatively shallow trout lake like Highland the oxygen levels below the thermocline can be used up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: