CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Fishing
Viewing Topic: "On the Water" Dec 08 issue: Fishing LOWER Housato
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n8cas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: "On the Water" Dec 08 issue: Fishing LOWER Housato Reply with quote

Great article in the December 08 OTW mag. I've never really had the fishing bug this late in the season before, but that article brought me back up after getting skunked on Bantam Lake the day after Thanksgiving. I thought I had put the kayak away for the winter, but I might give the Housy a try.

I wanted to ask if anyone had more information about fishing the lower Housatonic. Any good access sites NOT mentioned in the article? Has anyone taken a kayak on the River, and if so, what's worked well, where's the best spot to put in, and how should it be worked?? I've never fished a river before in my kayak. It might not be the smartest idea going out on a river for the first time in these cold temperatures (I can't afford a damn drysuit). Where in the river is it more calm and manageable?

What was great about the article, was that it talked about shore fishing sites especially near the Derby Dam. I'd be just as happy throwing a line from the shore, if anyone had more info. I posted this topic at that "other" site, but no one is responding .... thought I'd give this site a try despite the activity going WAY down during the winter.... hopefully it will pick back up... ANY response would be greatly appreciated!
coho yokel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are there still sea run browns there?
n8cas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coho yokel wrote:
are there still sea run browns there?

the article did talk about the occasional sea run trout......
CTBASSIN

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know stripers run up to the dam this time of year. Schoolie stripers stay up that way most of the winter. I was ice fishing a small cove just south of the Rt 34 bridge two years ago and caught six stripers through the ice, the biggest was 26". There are a bunch of different fish in that area. We have caught yellow perch and an occasional walleye as well.

Fitzwater Lures- Best custom jigs on the market
http://www.fitzwaterlures.com/

American Bass Anglers Draw Tournament Trail
CT Division 6
www.abadivision6.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: