CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Lower Housatonic (Shelton): 12-29-08 w/pics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n8cas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Lower Housatonic (Shelton): 12-29-08 w/pics Reply with quote

Date / Time.................Monday 12-29-08 / 1:30 - 5:00 pm

Weather......................Clear skies / mid-forties / wind 5-10 (not sure direction)

Water temp.................39 degrees with floating ice from up River / High tide at 1:46pm

Place..........................Lower Housatonic River - River Road Launch, Shelton, CT

Caught my first Striper followed by 9 others. Biggest one went 20 inches. I know they're much bigger Stripers out there, but catching these were a lot of fun, especially since these were my first ever. I've been out on the sound twice on charters for stripers, but got screwed over by bad weather and very aggresive blues.

I launched my kayak from the River Road Launch in Shelton, CT. I headed down-river past the marina on the right and found a whole bunch of them suspending at around 15-20 feet in a slight bend about 200-300 yards before Wooster Island (see map)

I was trolling a 5 1/2 inch Rapala husky jerk / Tennessee Shad color / HJ 12 or 14 through the schools. Unfortunately, I don't think it was getting deeper than 14 ft, I don't think the big ones were biting anyways. As I was heading in for the night, they really started hitting.

Pictures below: Map of the area, A nice picture of ice build up at the marina and boat launch, my first striper ever, striper next to my xmas gift - portable fish finder, me and a smaller one, and then 2 pics of the 20 inch last fish of the day. I know.... I have to learn how to take better pics. Hopefully in a year or two I'll have a cheap boat to take out.

june-bug

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT JOB I GOT TO GET OUT THERE WITH MY CANOE!!!!!
slimecoat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job, from a yak no less!

I'm glad somebody is still gettin out.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a few of us were out there on sunday caught a lot of smaller fish and a few good ones as well 2 were in the 28" range more fun than ill have till spring Sad Sad
n8cas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbyducati wrote:
a few of us were out there on sunday caught a lot of smaller fish and a few good ones as well 2 were in the 28" range more fun than ill have till spring Sad Sad

what were they hitting?

I was hoping for some bigger fish obviously...... saw them on my fish finder, but couldn't get them to bite.
robbyducati

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

white variation swim baits, flukes,blades, cigarette butts,etc... Laughing
WishinIWasFishin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely Done!
Old standby push button
n8cas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbyducati wrote:
white variation swim baits, flukes,blades, cigarette butts,etc... Laughing

I definitely wasn't fishin' it right then....need more practice
robbyducati

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its about finding the fish when your on a school they'll hit almost anything that resembles bait
Just4fun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job Nate. Stay real safe though,..they fished a dead kayaker out of amos a couple of years ago, this time of year!!
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditto on what J4F said, that looked pretty harry to be yaking in. Anyways, congrats on the stripers - they are 1 of my favorite fish to catch.

Justin
Tmac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: housy Reply with quote

The Housy has been a mad house lately Ive been fishing there for years this time a year and there would be maybe 2-3 other boats,now forget it there will be 20 boats fishing each school 40 trailers in each launch its crazy I hope it just dies out,there are stripers in all 3 main Rivers its funny that 1 single write up by a credible mag can do.The housy in that area is not very wide so it makes locating schools easier but ill be sticking to the Thames and CTR till things die down.The good news is for the kayakers if they fall in they will prob just fall into another boat.
n8cas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just4fun wrote:
Great job Nate. Stay real safe though,..they fished a dead kayaker out of amos a couple of years ago, this time of year!!

Thx Mark. I figured if I did take the plunge, it wouldn't end pretty. That's why I'm looking into a drysuit (if I can afford it). Anyone have an extra laying around they want to get rid of? I'm kidding, these things are hard to come by cheap!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: