CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Baitcasting Rod For CT Bass Fishing?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pauleye

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Baitcasting Rod For CT Bass Fishing? Reply with quote

What baitcasting rods do you use most in CT waters for spinnbaits, rip-baits, frogs, texas worms, jigs, etc?

I'm looking to revamp my old Falcon baitcasting rods through the Falcon Rod trade-up program. I'm getting into bass fishing again after a hiatus.

Thanks.

Last edited by Pauleye on Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Just4fun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A general rule of thumb is medium action rods for baits with treble hooks and medium-heavy for most other things (ie those you mentioned). Most folks like 6'6" or 7' rods.
Additionally, you might want a 7'6" Heavy rod for pitching and flipping into heavy cover,..but that's more of a specialty thing that's not for everyone!
Cool
djmon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with mark,

med is great for treble hooked baits; top waters, rattlebaits, cranks

med/hvy is great for getting the hook through a texas rigged worm and such plastics; along with spinnerbaits and jigs

hvy for jigs, frogs, and plastics in heavy cover.

6ft-7'2"

the only "purpose geared" rods would be a 7'6" hvy flippin stick or a 6'8"-7'2" med/light-med dropshot rod.

how are those falcon rods? i've been using all shimano gear however ive heard alittle on falcon and g loomis rods. only problem is they are "alittle" extra money
Pauleye

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Thanks for the help! Reply with quote

I love Falcon . . . and St Croix. The Falcon Lowrider series and the St. Corix Premier series, in my biased opinion, are the best rods for the money. They are American made for around $100. They are light and sensitive and have an action to fit your needs. Falcon is not popular around here but I prefer them for most of my freshwater needs. I had 6 Silver Series from 10 years ago (now their Original Series) that I am trading in for Lowriders. I've read that the Falcon Cara is even better especially with the lifetime warranty. I use St Croix for trout and saltwater.

I am not sponsored and I pay full retail for all my gear through all the usual retail establishments we fishermen use.

Okay, I settled on the Lowrider 6'8" Angler of the Year rod, LFC-5-168, an "all-around" MH, fast action baitcaster and the LFC-6-1610 a H, med-fast baitcaster with a little more backbone to fish the salad we get in the warm months.

Falcon's have these off-size rods, 6"4", 6'7", 6"8", etc that are really good based on what I read on the internet.

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: