CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: My first fish finder
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newguy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: My first fish finder Reply with quote

Hey guys, hope everyone had a great hollidays. I got some gift credit @ cabellas and figured its time I invest in some tecnology to assist my bass fishing. Just wondering if anyone has any usefull tips on what to get or what not to. Ive read a bit about these devices but Im sure words from someones experience would be alot more helpfull. Thanks for any help you can give me.
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Fish Finder Reply with quote

Hey NewGuy,

I know there will be some more helpful hints from the more experienced fishermen on this site, but here is my .02 cents.

Unless you have a lot of money to spend, I would suggest staying with a NON-color fish finder better known as monochrome.

This way you can get a little better unit. Lawrance and Humminbird (side imaging) are the two units I have.

Try to find a unit with the highest resloution, selectable beams ( 20-200degs, 20-60degs or 60-83degs).

If your not going on the CT river or large bodys of water you don't need a fish find/ GPS unit. Put all the money into the fish finder.

The GPS unit can come later.

PS, try to purchase a unit that offers the transducer with the unit, this way your know you have the correct transducer that is matched with the FF.

If you purchase the transducer separately, make sure it's an externally mounted unit (troller motor mount or transom mount). The Hull mounted are nice and out of the way, but you give up on some of the reception.

Good Luck,
Ron

PSS, If you have the money the Lowrance HDS-10 is a sweet unit.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_103481?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT&cmid=PP_P1_2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the fact that you really don't need a color display. I have a Lowrance X-17 on my bow and it works better than my side-imaging Humminbird for reading the bottom and picking up fish.

I disagree with the statement that you don't need GPS...if you can get it, you might as well...comes in real handy ALL the time.
slimecoat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey New guy,

How have you been?

You might get better responses, if you give as much information as possible to let others know what your looking to do with this new fishfinder.

Are you going to be fishing tournaments, or just fun fishing on the weekends?

Do you need a GPS, or will a smaller (starter) unit do for you?

What kind of fishing do you do mostly, open deeper water, or do you beat the banks and fish shallow alot?

What fish species do you target mostly?

What price range are you looking in?

What kind of options are you looking for?

Answer these questions, and I'm sure you will get all the information you need and more!

Talk to you later

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Justin,..if you can afford it, definitely get one with a GPS. It's not so much for finding your way or anything,..it's for being able to set waypoints (electronic markers) when you find a good spot,..so that you will be able to easily find that spot again next time you go!! If you find a hump or a rockpile or something that is well offshore,..it is extremely difficult to locate it again without the aid of a GPS!
There is a very large sunken tree out in the middle of Rogers lake somewhere in about 20 feet of water, that I saw on one of my early trips with my first fishfinder (without GPS). I have been looking for that darned thing now for more than 5 years and I STILL have yet to locate it again!! Rolling Eyes Confused
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

What I meant by (If your not going on the CT river or large bodys of water you don't need a fish find/ GPS unit).

If the new guy is going to stay in lake like Silver, batterson etc. GPS is not needed.

Cut me some lack, or I'll open up and can of ________. You know what.

Just kidding, it's always good to have two or more opinions. This way you can see every angle.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx a bunch guys, your always very helpfull. I hope there will come a time when I can return the favors. I also hope to be @ a competative tournament level one day like many of you seem to be. Hey slimecoat ! good to hear from you again. To respond to your post, I guess I hadnt put that much thought into such spacific aplications of a fish finder. But to be more specific I could say that I definately plan to stick to bass fishing in as many connecticut lakes as I can.(not much of a river guy) I usualy like to cast in toward shallow shore areas w/structures that seem to hold bass, but I know I need to get better @ fishing deep water (which is when I figure the fish finder would be very helpfull) My price range isnt very high (200-400) so I dont know if I should bother w/ gps unless you think I can get a decent unit w/ it for that amount. But since itll be my first I probably shouldnt go too crazy w/ high price stuff just yet. Thanx for any more info and for the great tips youve already given![/url][/quote]
slimecoat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New guy,

If you stick with Lowrance, Humminbird, or Garmin you should be ok. Buy the best unit your wallet will allow, you will thank yourself later. Soon you'll be on your way to seeing underwater much better.

You'll be amazed at how much structure, and how many fish are offshore in the heat of the summer. Your bank beating days will be over.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: