CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Hogsback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Hogsback Reply with quote

FYI to anyone planning on fishing the Hogsback, I was heading up there today unfortunatley the bridge is closed...has been for a while I guess. There is another way in but I was told it is a hike if you have a lot of gear.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason,

Hello. Can you be more presise on which bridge you are talking about? Are you talking about the bridge down in town, that goes over the farmington river? Or the bridge / dam, that seperates Hogsback from the head waters of the Farmington River itself? I know if the gates are closed, on the East side of the dam, I used to park in the grass area across the street from the gate and walk in. No one ever bothered me parking there and walking in.

Hogsback used to be my favorite ice fishing spot, some 30 years ago, I fished there from the Late 70's to around 1995. I used to love walking in at like 4;30 AM in the dark and catching all the smelt I could handle, then at first light or just before, open up all my tip up holes and put them smelt right back down. Used to catch some really nice brown trout out of there. Also, used to carry in a small boat or canoe with a friend and we would troll that place, again catching some really nice Brown Trout. But things got really tough there, and sometimes I wonder if they stopped stocking the place, but that goes back to the 90's. Used to be just a small handfull of guys who fished there on a regular basis, made some good fishing friends on that ice. Man, the stories I could tell, Eagles, Turkeys crossing the ice with Cyots right on their heels. Surely a great place, but it died out for some reason, the smelt that is. Maybe they are back now. Let me know how you make out.

Best of Luck,
Ned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: